Question about my new Taurus M992 22/22mag
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Question about my new Taurus M992 22/22mag

Member #
    Liked
    16 times

Question about my new Taurus M992 22/22mag

I just purchased a M992 22/22mag 4" revolver and have a question about it. I was looking it over and noticed I could
    turn the cylinder clockwise to the right, pointing the gun away from me. I didn't think you could turn it unless it was open.
    Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks in advance

Member #
    Liked
    17074 times
    You need to contact CS at Taurus. That is not right.
    NON ILLEGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
    SAND LAKE 2015

SOUTH DAKOTA 2014, 2015, 2016
    WISCONSIN 2014, 2015
    KEEPER OF THE PLEDGE

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kruizer@q.com View Post
    You need to contact CS at Taurus. That is not right.
    Thanks
    The person I bought it from bought it about 5 months ago so it's not new. Will Taurus still fix it with their lifetime waranty?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    4967 times
    Quote Originally Posted by claudester View Post
    Thanks
    The person I bought it from bought it about 5 months ago so it's not new. Will Taurus still fix it with their lifetime waranty?
    Yes, you may have to pay a bench fee..................
    I have refrained from giving repair advise but in this case I will tell you to pull the side plate off, and just spray some
    Gun Scrubber or other gun cleaner in the internal workings of the revolver. Sounds like your cylinder latch is sticking in the down position
    because of possible non- cleanly issues.Cylinder hand also not working so spray that as well.................
    Last edited by loudviking; 04-21-2017 at 05:38 AM.
    Know guns, know peace, know safety.
    No guns, no peace, no safety.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by loudviking View Post
    Yes, you may have to pay a bench fee..................
    I have refrained from giving repair advise but in this case I will tell you to pull the side plate off, and just spray some
    Gun Scrubber or other gun cleaner in the internal workings of the revolver. Sounds like your cylinder latch is sticking in the down position
    because of possible non- cleanly issues.Cylinder hand also not working so spray that as well.................
    I might try the cleaning before sending it back. Taurus gave me a service order number and said they would fix the gun. My question is now,
    what is the best way to ship? I'm not a FFL but I do have a FEDEX account. Can I just drop it of where I do with other packages and will Taurus ship it back to me at my address.

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    If it's just the hand or dirty internals as loudviking seems to think, then it's not that difficult to repair. I must say, however, that I don't see how it could be the hand since the hand rotates the cylinder when you pull the trigger/cock the hammer but as far as I've been able to tell when working on my revolvers, it doesn't prevent the cylinder from rotating in any direction.

As far as shipping the gun, my gunsmith ships guns USPS for a factory repair for me for the cost of shipping & I pay him a $10 fee. It doesn't require a transfer because the gun isn't changing ownership, it's just being sent to the factory for repair. That's about half the cost of shipping it FedEx or UPS for me. I don't know if you could find a local FFL holder to do that for you or not since my gunsmith is a good friend and I insist on paying him the $10 extra for his time.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I did ship it back to the factory yesterday with Fedex. The charge was under $16.00 so it's not that bad. Can't wait to see what Taurus sys about the problem.

Member #
    Liked
    8268 times
    If it turns freely without lockup, you got a problem. If it turns just a skosh and locks up it's OK - all three of my Trackers do this and they work flawlessly in use. My 992's CW; my M17 CCW. Is it supposed to do this?? I haven't a clue, but never questioned that it could. They all work fine when cylinder first in place whether I cock or dbl. action or whether I rotate a skosh or not. I did not swap cylinders Mag to LR to see if it did same or not. At this point, still say it's not a problem unless it free wheels without lockup when cylinder closed.

Have you fired it yet??

EDIT: Hmmmm.............guess a little late to the game! LOL
    Last edited by Wino; 04-22-2017 at 08:01 AM.
    (1) PT709 SS; (1) PT709FS; PT740 SS; PT140B Mil G2 Rec'd. 2/16/16; PT140 SS G2 Rec'd 9/14/16; PT111 SS Mil Pro Repaired Rec'd. 9/9/16
    PT24/7 PRO DS SS 9mm; PT24/7 Blk. CA .40S&W; PT24/7 PRO LS DS SS .40S&W
    PT92B-AF; PT92-AFS Tu-Tone; PT99B-AF; PT99-AFS; (2) PT100AFS; TRACKER M992B - 6.5" ;.M992SS - 4" .22LR/.22Mag; M17SS - 6.5" .17HMR
    S&W SD9VE SS; Sigma SW9VE SS; SD40VE SS; Sigma SW40VE SS; M&P40C Blk. SS; (1)TISAS Zigana Sport Two-Tone and (1) all Black; Texas CHL

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    4967 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jdfworth View Post
    If it's just the hand or dirty internals as loudviking seems to think, then it's not that difficult to repair. I must say, however, that I don't see how it could be the hand since the hand rotates the cylinder when you pull the trigger/cock the hammer but as far as I've been able to tell when working on my revolvers, it doesn't prevent the cylinder from rotating in any direction.

As far as shipping the gun, my gunsmith ships guns USPS for a factory repair for me for the cost of shipping & I pay him a $10 fee. It doesn't require a transfer because the gun isn't changing ownership, it's just being sent to the factory for repair. That's about half the cost of shipping it FedEx or UPS for me. I don't know if you could find a local FFL holder to do that for you or not since my gunsmith is a good friend and I insist on paying him the $10 extra for his time.
    Didn't understand for some reason OP's question, you are correct in your statement about the cylinder hand.
    Know guns, know peace, know safety.
    No guns, no peace, no safety.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    I did fire the gun the day I bought it and it was fine but when I had it in the house and just playing with changing the clys. I noticed that the cly spun without being in the open to load position. I checked
    another revolver that I have and it didn't budge. This was done with the hammer closed. It spun more freely with the mag cly. than the 22LR. If I remember correctly, it wouldn't do it when the hammer was cocked. Go figure?
    Wino likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links