Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2038 times

3 inch Barrel .357

Did Taurus ever make a 3 inch .357 medium frame (Kframe) 6 round revolver? That would be my ideal carry gun.
    Old age isn't for sissy's!!
    Don't give up the ship!! Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry!!
    Due to the rising cost of ammo. A warning shot will NOT be fired!!

Ohio CHL holder
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    1384 times

Re: 3 inch Barrel .357

Quote Originally Posted by Laker
    Did Taurus ever make a 3 inch .357 medium frame (Kframe) 6 round revolver? That would be my ideal carry gun.
    I don't know if Taurus® ever made a 3" barrel 357 Magnum. I do know that in the late 80s to mid 90's; they made 2¾" barrel 357 magnums, both blued and stainless steel. They were the same size as the S&W® K frames, and like the S&W®'s were designated as Mdls 65 & 66. Also, like their S&W® counterparts, the Taurus® 65 had fixed sights, the 66 had adjustable sights. Taurus® did make 3" barrel 44 Specials during this period also, Mdl 431 (fixed sight), and the 441 (adj sights).
    David
    CW3, U.S. Army (Ret)
    09/26/1968-05/31/1990
    Vietnam Veteran - 2 Tours

Vulnerata, Fortis, Dignus Veterani

Only two defining forces ever died for you:
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine.
    One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
    1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given

Member #
    Liked
    2038 times

That would be close enough for me, whats a quater inch among friends. Thanks for the info Badge. So I guess I begin a search for an M65, or 66 snubbie.

Ohio CHL holder
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Laker,
    Yes Taurus did make a 3" barrel 357 Magnum. I own one; Model HG-M65-B3, production year 1986. Barks like a bear & kicks like a mule, less than 50 rounds through it.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    1101 times

The M66 was also produced with a 3" barrel. Mine is '89 vintage and I wouldn't trade it for any S&W.
    Riding in a High Noon Sky six

Wearing a set of Hogue Monogrips. I didn't care for them so I gave them away.
    This is the land of opportunity not entitlement

Member #
    Liked
    2038 times

Sweet gun. Thats what I'll be looking for. How does it carry concealed? That is what I'd want to use it for.

Ohio CHL holder
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    1101 times

It conceals very well under a t-shirt. I carried it a lot When I lived in AL and had my permit. I'm taking my class this weekend for my FL permit, when I get it I'll carry it again. My other carry gun is my PT1911. The M66 is my owb carry and the PT is for iwb. I wish you luck in your search as the 6 shot M66 is no longer in production, the current 66's are 7 shot and I don't think Taurus currently offers any medium frames with a 3" barrel. Just a side note, this has the 2nd best trigger I have felt on a DA revolver, the best was the Rossi 720 I sold a while back
    This is the land of opportunity not entitlement

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    6834 times

Quote Originally Posted by Laker
    Yes, I do carry it from time to time. It's not quite as easy to carry as the SP101, but it's not a hard gun to tote as IWB goes.

This is my blued 3" 66 next to my nickel 4" 66. The 3" now wears Hogue grips.

Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
    M605 Poly Protector
    "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" - G.B. Shaw

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    6834 times

BTW, look around at the gun shows. I found this one at a little local show where EVERYthing was overpriced. He wanted 200, but it had a timing and crane problem I pointed out, got it for 180. Got it home and found out the previous owner had mixed up the side plate screws and got the crane screw in the wrong hole. I had pulled the plate off to clean and inspect. Right screws in the right holes and it's perfect. It shows a lot of holster wear and had apparently fired a lot of heavy rounds because that Pachmayr it was wearing was worn smooth on the back side of the grip. It's still quite tight and quite accurate and perfectly timed. The trigger on the newer 4" gun is better, a transfer bar design. They switched somewhere in the early 90s. The 3" has a hammer block design action. DA is a little rougher and SA has a tiny bit of creep to it that's noticeable when you're playing with it in the house, but you don't really notice on the range. The DA is very manageable, just not up to the quality of the newer gun IMHO. Other than those criticisms, I mean, it's a helluva good carry for 180 bucks!

That 4" was perfect, tight, perfect timing, perfect in every way and only one little blemish in the finish on the cylinder. I got it for 200 bucks. The action is as smooth on that gun as my Smith and Wessons and it shoots more accurately, too. The 3" is as accurate as my 4" M10 Smith. Excellent guns IMHO for very little money. I think it's the lack of respect by the gun crowd that makes Taurus such a value on the used market. You cannot TOUCH a M66 or 19 Smith for these prices, not even a good down payment.
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
    M605 Poly Protector
    "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" - G.B. Shaw

Member #
    Liked
    2038 times

Both your 66's are beautiful guns, and thanks for the report on their performance. I agree, that they are much more affordable then a Smith. My Smith M65 is my favorite handgun and probably always will be, I stole it a while back for $315. I can get twice that for it today although I'll never sell it. Now that I have an idea as to what to look for, I'll begin hunting for a Taurus 65 and 66. Thanks guys. Anybody want to sell yours?

Ohio CHL holder
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links