Taurus Firearm Forum banner

605 ss

3K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  mark38090 
#1 ·
Been on the hunt for a S&W snubby, but came across a 605 stainless on Armslist today. Good price, like new in the box.
Had one of these before & either sold or traded it. This one has newer grips than mine had & they seem very sticky. Will give it a try Tue.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Well, I tried it out today. Little bugger is a good little shooter. Put a dab of bright green floro nail polish on the front sight. Helps my half blind eyes find it much better.

The speed loaders are not the greatest. The cylinder won't swing down enough for the loader to clear the grips. Still faster than loading the rounds one at a time. I can get used to it. I really like the grips though. They are one piece & get secured with a roll pin. Taurus did a real good job on these.

Ran a box of Freedom Munition 38sp reloads through it with no issues. Will try some 357's next time.

#11 ·
The speed loaders are not the greatest. The cylinder won't swing down enough for the loader to clear the grips. Still faster than loading the rounds one at a time. I can get used to it. I really like the grips though. They are one piece & get secured with a roll pin. Taurus did a real good job on these.
I don't think of that as a speed loader problem. It's a grip problem.

Ran a box of Freedom Munition 38sp reloads through it with no issues. Will try some 357's next time.
I haven't run more than a couple cylinder's worth of .357 through mine, in all the years I've had it. I think of it as strong enough for any .38 I want to run through it.

#15 ·
Congrats on the new snubby!

#17 ·
A 605ss was my first handgun purchase back in the mid 2000's. I didn't know much about firearms then. I put larger hogue grips on mine. It ran everything I put in it without issues. I traded it about a year ago. Nothing wrong with it, just wanted other things more and I didn't use it. Good luck with yours.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

#20 · (Edited)
Very nice. I have always wanted a 605 (preferably in SS) but this week a dealer had a deal on a 'blued' model so I jumped on that. Unfortunately it was posted with stock photos (i.e. not the gun I was buying) so it wasn't until afterwards that I started looking at the 605/85 posts here and discovered that my 'blued' model will probably be that flat black finish. :( Not too thrilled about that now - will have to wait to see what shows up at my FFL.

ETA: and guess what showed up today? A black-oxide finish on my 605. :( Well, that will mean it is more subdued and thus not stand out as much when needed, right? ;) I will have to get it cleaned up and to the range one day to see how it shoots.

#24 · (Edited)
AND, they fit flat in a magazine type pouch. I have this "Nite Iz" case for my cell phone and it has a pouch behind it that fits a speed strip quite well. When I carry my .357 on my belt and my .38 in my pocket, I carry a .357 speed strip in the case. I always have a .38 special speed strip in a pocket of my cargoes and its ammo works in either gun. I kinda like that. :D

http://www.niteize.com/product/Clip-Case-Hardshell-Holster.asp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.