Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Real Balistics for .410 Shot (#4, 000 Buck, 2.5" and 3") and .45 LC

I am very close to purchasing The Judge, 3" Mag version. As I continue to research it and read reviews, all I can find are just a bunch of subjective opinions, a lot of which are written by people who don't even own a Judge, or even fired one. What I am looking for is some real ballistic information documenting the effects of .410 shot shell in #4 shot through 000 Buckshot. A lot of guys have videos of shooting paper targets to show the shot patterns. And some have shown them disintegrating watermelons...WHOOPIE. And almost every "gun" expert out there says, "it will make one hell of a snake gun"... I am not shooting snakes... hello? Plus I have read just about every ammo manufacturer's specs for their ammo. But all shotgun ballistic information is for shooting the rounds out of an actual shotgun. Has anyone ever done real tests to determine speed, energy, effects, etc of the Judge? Does anyone have comparative analysis of different types of targets from different kinds of ammo as well as similar self defense weapons (.45acp, 9mm, etc)? Surely, someone out there has shot up some 1/2, 3/4 inch or thicker plywood at several distances to see the effect of buckshot on the wood (as shot from the judge). This is my major frustration with Taurus thus far, their website does not have ballistics information for each weapon. I recently purchased another self defense weapon, and that manufacturer had actual numbers for about every popular ammo out on the market and gave actual weapon model type results. Bottom-line, I am tired of bubba saying "carrying .410 toy gun with birdshot will just get you killed... Well, I am pretty sure .410 3" 000 Buck shot at 20-25 feet (average home defense distance) or less, will just about ruin any attacker's day. After the first one or two rounds of .410 Buck, if the perpetrator hasn't had enough, surely .45 colt at the same distance would kill any man on the planet. Anyway, does anyone have any numbers and videos? I would rather compare already existing numbers than buy the weapon and do all these tests myself (but if I do, I will post online for sure). Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    28 times

Re: Real Balistics for .410 Shot (#4, 000 Buck, 2.5" and 3") and .45 LC

If you'd like to let me use your chronograph, and donate some $$$ for some human analogs I'd be more than happy to do some testing. Unfortunately I don't have any real numbers for you. On a serious note, if anyone does want to fund some tests PM me.

This link is by no means scientific information, and it isn't the information you're looking for. However, it does give you SOME information from which you can draw some conclusions.
    In a world of talkers, be a thinker and a doer.

Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it binds the universe together.

You know the other funny thing about duct tape? There are hundreds of uses, but it's not used for ducts. Go figure...

Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    941 times

I own one, and have read all the BS reports, the alleged velocity reports, and such. The Federal 000 seems to have the best report on their shells. I have personally penetrated 3/4 inch boards (not plywood) with #4 and #9 shot. I was shooting at from 12 to 21 ft. I have not fired my 000 buckshot which is Winchester 3 pellet, 2 1/2" at any target yet. Mine is a 6.5" barrel, and probably does better than a 2" to 4" in patterns.

200 gr fmj, and 250 gr jhp does a heck of a job on 1 3/4" lumber from out to 45 feet which is the longest I have fired. The 6.5" barrel, was able to shoot about a 3" hole in an 8" target firing about 20 rds, with the 200 gr fmj. I would assume that it would do close to the same off a rest at 25 yard, but after that it probably would start to drop requiring a hold high aim.

Federal says they got 1200 fps out of their 3".
    ROBBY
    Board Of Directors KC3 http://www.kc3.com/index.html
    NRA Member, GOA Member, NAGR member

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks Robby. You information helps a lot. At least you have gone out and shot something other than paper to see the effects. These are the kinds of things I am looking for. Again, thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Here is my info and thoughts. (I am a gun enthusiast but don't know much about 'em).

MY Gun - 3" Magnum Judge

I have shot Magtech LRD and Gold Dot JHP 45 colt out of the Judge.

The Magtech is the cheapest 45 Colt I could find, so it's what I shoot the most of out of the Judge at the range. It shoots pretty well and doesn't have too much kick. Accuracy is good, if you can aim well you can most likely hit it. It is pretty dirty stuff though and the bullet itself leaves a lot of fouling in the barrel, which leads me to beleive it's pretty soft.

The Gold Dot JHP's are beautiful. They definitely feel like a hotter load too, the kick is noticeable to me compared to the Magtechs. It is also seriosuly accurate, I shot 4 our of 5 round in the same hole on a paper taregt from 15'. I keep it loaded in the last 3 chambers for PD, I have no doubts this stuff would stop a man , DEAD.

I have also shot Winchester #6 shot, rifled slugs and 3" 000 Buck.

Birdshot- Good for birds and possibly blinding or deterring a bad guy if you don't want to kill him and just scare him off.

Slugs - Worthless, they fly everywhere but where you are aiming. Leave them on the shelf.

000 Buck - Seems like it would be pretty bad at close range for the receiver. At 15' on a paper target with a 1/4" plywood backing it destroys a 6" area. Spread is pretty consistent at that range. Shooting down a hallway or across a room and I would feel confident the BG is going down. Kicks like hell though.

At anything over 30' it spreads out way too much. Wouldn't be effective for anything but scaring someone.

I JUST finally bought some of the Federal 2 1/2" 000 Buck online (YAY!) . I have read good things about it keeping a tight pattern and retaining it's ball shape. The Winchester seems to flatten out in the barrel, which can't be good for penetration. So I will be testing that out soon.

I like the spread of the Winchester, it has a shotgun effect, which is why I bought the Judge in the first place. Makes up for error in the heat of the moment. But I like the force and penetration of the Federal, so I'll try it out, and I may keep the Federal loaded up in the forst 2 chambers followed up by my 3 .45 JHP's.

I am really waiting for Federal to release some 3" PD .410 Ammo.
    Getting Ready for the Zombie Apocalypse.

- Judge Magnum 3" SS

Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    941 times

Excellent report! I LOVE my JUDGE!!
    ROBBY
    Board Of Directors KC3 http://www.kc3.com/index.html
    NRA Member, GOA Member, NAGR member

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Check out this site and scroll down some to a SGT Knuckles. he did a pretty good report on ammo that he has used on the Judge.

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/tau...rus-judge.html

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks Optimus! That's the kind of feedback I am looking for... I am in agreement with your assessment. Most of just donít shoot as much as we think we do to stay really proficient... After being in the army for 20 plus years, I know the value of laying down some suppressive fire first while you get your ducks in order. I know many of you can hit the nuts off a squirrel at 300 yards, first shot, at night, in the driving rain... but the rest of us average guys may benefit greatly from some buckshot going their way. I am surely thinking about buying The Judge 3" Mag as the house and jeep gun... Again, thanks for the info!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks hciaffa. That was an awesome link! SGT Knuckles has done alot of digging into the effects of the Judge...

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3205 times

Quote Originally Posted by hciaffa
    Check out this site and scroll down some to a SGT Knuckles.
    He used to post over here quite a bit. I think he is everywhere on the net.

NRA Life Member - TSRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links