newbie - 905 cylinder fell, spring retained
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

newbie - 905 cylinder fell, spring retained

Hello - I am new to firearms, and received this 905 revolver from a family member. I have been to a range and had a private lesson - basic safety, etc. Shot about 50 rounds and really enjoyed it. Not the gun itself, so much, but the shooting part. I plan to get a different model, but want to learn more before spending $$.

I purchased moon clips from Revolver Supply , and they seem to fit and load well. Since I understand that to be unusual, I was well pleased with that purchase.

I was practicing loading and unloading the clips into the gun, and the cylinder just fell completely out.
    I tried to slide it back into place, but it will not go in all the way. Peering down into the hole where it should slide in, reveals a tiny spring in there.

I have been reading about similar problems, but most involve a screw that backed out. That is not the case here - there appear to be no screws missing or loose.

My husband knows even less than I do about firearms (hard to imagine, right?) but he is incredibly handy with tiny tools and mechanical projects (he rebuilds guitars) so if it is simple, we don't mind giving it a try.

There are gunsmiths close by, but I'm sure they'll see me coming and add a zero onto the price tag - kinda like the auto mechanics... and while I do value getting the gun repaired, I don't want to put a lot of money into a gun I'm not that crazy about to start with.

Coincidentally - my brother is a gunsmith, but he lives far away...worth shipping to him?

Thanks in advance for your patience and advice.

Member #
    Liked
    440 times
    If the cylinder fell out without the front side plate screw coming out or loosening, the detent either broke or was already missing. Assuming you have all of the other parts a gunsmith would be able to repair it cheaply. Another option is to send it back to Taurus.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3606 times
    Chicharrones has posted an excellent assembly/disassembly guide of Taurus revolvers in the TA Smithing forum: Taurus Revolver Disassembly - Pictorial Guide

It may help you visualize a solution, Good Luck and welcome to the TA forum.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    I have a similar Taurus revolver. Try removing the screw just above and in front of the trigger on the right side of the frame (opposite the direction the cylinder swings out). Then install the cylinder and replace that screw. If that doesn't solve the problem, something is broken or missing in that (screw) location, or it may be the wrong screw for that location. As I recall, that screw is longer than the other two in the side plate. If the first attempt doesn't solve the problem, compare the three screws in the side plate and put the longest one in that hole.
    I hope that helps.
    Taurus M65
    S&W 642
    FNH FNX-9
    Kahr CM9
    Savage/Stevens M58 20ga.
    Remington Speedmaster .22

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Oops! Just realized you said the cylinder came out of the crane, rather than the crane itself came out. Ignore my post above!
    Taurus M65
    S&W 642
    FNH FNX-9
    Kahr CM9
    Savage/Stevens M58 20ga.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 68Firebird View Post
    Oops! Just realized you said the cylinder came out of the crane, rather than the crane itself came out. Ignore my post above!
    Actually, the entire assembly fell out. I wrote "cylinder" because I did not know the word "crane". The whole thing fell out, including the framework (the crane, right) which hold the cylinder and the stop plunger and the extraction rod.

What puzzles me is looking down into the hole on the gun itself (sorry, don't know the right word) where the rod that the crane rotates on normally slides in...in that hole there is a spring. It appears stuck. I see it in online diagrams, completely taken apart, of course, and it seems to be the "cylinder stop plunger with spring".

So do I extract the spring from the hole and try to reassemble? I am not against using a gunsmith, but if it is something simple, I'd like to figure it out myself.

Or with a lot of help from here.

Just read that there is 13 pounds of pull on the trigger. I thought it seemed like a lot for my small hands.

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Yes. Try removing the spring and then reassembling. Something went wrong within that screw hole to allow the crane to come off.
    Taurus M65
    S&W 642
    FNH FNX-9
    Kahr CM9
    Savage/Stevens M58 20ga.

Member #
    Liked
    148 times
    Were you able to resolve the problem? We love closure!
    Taurus M65
    S&W 642
    FNH FNX-9
    Kahr CM9
    Savage/Stevens M58 20ga.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 68Firebird View Post
    Were you able to resolve the problem? We love closure!

I apologize for the long delay... my Mother fell and broke her neck, so everything is on hold while I deal with that.
    I hope to get back to fixing this gun very soon.
    And I want to buy an automatic. Just because.

Member #
    Liked
    13969 times
    I can't help you with the gun but... wow! I hope your Mom is getting healed up!

Sponsored Links