Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 4" vs. 6" barrel and Tracker vs. 66 in 357 Mag

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

4" vs. 6" barrel and Tracker vs. 66 in 357 Mag

I already have a CCW 38sp and I am looking for a .357 to carry open on the farm for both
    home defense and shooting coyotes etc. Is the 6" an lot more accurate or is it mostly
    good for more velocity?
    My experience is with a snubbie and an M94 with 4".
    The other question is if I am better off with the Tracker or 66.
    I am also looking at the S&W 686, but I sure like the feel of the Taurus
    for my hand. I guess I should consider the Ruger GP100 too.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times

Re: 4" vs. 6" barrel and Tracker vs. 66 in 357 Mag

My 66 with 6" barrell is dead accurate . Not sure if it would make a signifagant difference in volocity with 2"
    Ron Paul 2012

If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. - Samuel Adams

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    6513 times

You'll get somewhere around 100 fps with the barrel length depending on the load, of course, could be a bit less. You'll find the gun not that much easier to shoot, either, though the extra sight radius helps a little. For hiking, utility carry, I prefer the 4" gun. It's easier to sit down on a tractor seat or in a truck with the 4" in a high ride, gets in the way less, and is a little lighter on the hip. I have a 3", 4", and 6.5" .357 and a 20" for that matter. I do use the 6.5" for hunting. It's a Ruger Blackhawk.

The shorter guns are both 66s. The 66 is about K frame, medium frame size and is a little heavier than a Tracker, but it's quite easy to carry and I do NOT like ported barrels if I can get away from it. Both are really good shooting revolvers. My 4" 66 is unreal accurate. It's the gun I choose for general purpose unless I need to conceal. The 3" gun is a better concealed weapon. It's amazing how much that inch helps IWB and it's almost as accurate as the 4", decent sight radius. Normally, though, open carry, I prefer the 4" gun.

All JMHO. Some folks find the 4" harder to shoot than the 6". Like I say, the extra sight radius can help. But, I find I can do about as well with either.
    AZM66 likes this.
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
    M605 Poly Protector
    "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" - G.B. Shaw

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I have a M66 4" barrel Taurus and also a S&W M686 6" barrel. Both are fine weapons. The M66 is much nicer to carry and is my choice as a defensive weapon for home because its accurate, handles both .38 and .357's just fine, and is easy to shoot. The M66 is big enough to be intimidating, but small enough to be comfortable is quite rugged. The S&W is a great target gun, very well balanced, and fun to shoot...but too big to carry on a regular basis and requires more care in my opinion. Either one would serve your needs, but if I was to choose between the two for what you've described the uses to be, I'd choose the M66 4" barrel.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10165 times

I absolutely love the 4 inch 357 magnum - own two, and they're almost as perfect as the 1911 for a defense handgun. I think on a farm or out in the country, I'd maybe opt for the 6'' barrel though.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    5325 times

You folks bring up some very good points. Just wanted to add a couple of things.

If seated for long periods of time the 6 inch barreled guns can dig into the person's side, cause soreness, or get in the way. Especially if an ATV, horse, or traveling over bumpy unimproved roads are factors. However an appropriate fitting shoulder holster can take care of that. As long as the holster doesn't interfere with doing other things.

While the 4 inch barreled gun is nice and easy to pack it's the increased ballistics of the .357 magnum you'll want to take advantage of, thus the 6 inch barrel.

The increased sighting plain of the longer barrel and the extra added weight make it easy to have the gun sit steady in the hand. Longer barrel usually equals less muzzle waver. Thus the target should be easier to get a solid telling hit on.

If the revolver is gets more general use or for mainly for defense then the 4 inch barreled guns as above stated by posters here makes more sense.

If for mainly hunting coyote or other game then the 6 incher fits the bill more.

Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    945 times

I know I kind of wish my JUDGE had the 4" barrel instead of the 6.5". Accurate yes, tough on and off the tractor when your busy.
    ROBBY
    Board Of Directors KC3 http://www.kc3.com/index.html
    NRA Member, GOA Member, NAGR member

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

My preference is longer barrel, because:
    • longer barrel usually = heavier gun = lower recoil;
    • longer barrel usually = better accuracy;
    • longer barrel = a little higher velocities;
    • it plain looks better :P

It is more difficult to conceal - but as I usually carry in a shoulder holster, it's not that big a deal.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Eggman

What did you get??
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Member #
    Liked
    5325 times

Lets put it this way.

If Eggman gets a S&W 686,586, or a Ruger instead of the Taurus Tracker or other revolver, no one here is going to get upset. Whatever fits Eggman the best for his needs and himself is what he should get.

For example, after looking at Ruger's GP100 it was decided that the Taurus fit the hand better and had a better overall trigger pull.

Ruger GP100s are fine guns overall as well. Just a personal choice and gave up nothing or very little in the choice.

I don't hunt or the Tracker would have been my choice.

Weight of the firearm was also a lastly consideration, but an important one. Carrying something heavy all day or for long periods of time can and does cause wear and tear on the body muscles,tendons and joints.

For some that may not matter. For others of us we feel it daily or over time.

The Taurus 66 is a bit lighter overall, but gets the job done.

Since barn burning full bore magnum 125gr.JHPs are not the main steady diet overall of this gun, the model 66 gets the nod.

If major magnum 125gr. JHP rounds are the main ammo, then going with the Tracker,S&W 686/586, or the Ruger GP100 would be in order.

So what ever you pick,Eggman,we're all behind you on this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links