Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Taurus Model 669

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Taurus Model 669

Hello Everyone,
    I'm a new member from NC and I would like some opinions. Back in 1989, my brother gave me a brand new Taurus Model 669 - 357 stainless steel with a 4" vented barrel. I kept it for a few years, and for some reason I never shot it. I gave it back to my brother who then traded it to someone else for a rifle. Now, 20 years later, I have been thinking about buying a new handgun for home defense, cc, target shooting, etc. I was talking to my brother and he told me that the owner of my old 669 is wanting to sell it and that it still has never been fired and is still in the original box. He has a firm price of $350. Is this a fair price for a 20 year old "brand new" revolver? Or should I spend a little more money and buy something a little more modern and easier to conceal? This is a great forum! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    9912 times

Re: Taurus Model 669

Are you sure it's not a 689? I don't remember the 669 having the vented rib on top of the barrel....but my old 689 sure did. I sure loved that gun. And, if it was in good shape, I'd pay $350 for a '89 669 OR 689. From what I remember, it was a great gun and I regretted trading it in.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    56 times

I'd do it in a flash!! The 689 was the vent rib barrel, the 669 was solid rib if I remember correctly. I just bought a 6" 689 this week, and am going to make a hot rod custom out of it..Great Revolvers!
    NRA Range Safety Officer

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2714 times

I've had mine since the early 90's. You could make a counter offer, but if his price is firm, it's worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny,

I still plan to vote.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times

Jump on that as fast as you can,

I've had one since they first came out chambered and ported.
    Well, since I saw it on the cover of a mag showing new guns coming out.
    I saw it and just had to get it, luckily Sports Authority had one and it was mine the next day.

M669 CP 6" SS 357MAG

My son gets it when I'm done with it.
    spitball likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Makes me feel good about the deal i got on mine. I bought mine for 350$. They had it labeled as a straight model 66. I did some research and found out that model 66's can be had for around 250$ used. I was upset. Then i realized i had a 669 which had a far better reputation and resale value. That said, i really enjoy shooting it. It was my first revolver, and my first real handgun.
    "Ferox deo vacuus vinco"
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."~Nietzsche
    "You do not reason a man out of something he was not reasoned into."~ Dr. Swift

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks to everyone for their responses. After some research, I think you guys are correct about this gun being a 689. Unfortunately, the gun is about 6 hours away and I haven't been able to examine it yet, although I'm told it is pristine. I'm probably going to buy it if all goes well and I don't get lured away by some new semi-automatic. I'm also not real sure about carrying a 4" revolver concealed.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Well, it took longer than I hoped, but I finally got my first revovler back! It is a model 689 as was pointed out in a reply to my original post. The label on the original box had model 669 on it, not sure why. I tried to take some pictures of it, but they don't do it justice. It is in perfect shape, better than I remembered. It's almost too pretty to shoot, but I will be shooting it just as soon as I can! Tell me what you think. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    9912 times

Yes, that's what I was thinking - it looks just like the one I used to own. You are giving me a serious case of sellers remorse......beautiful revolver, I just love the lines and the vented top rib. If I could find one, I'd probably buy it in a second. Congrats on your new oldie !!
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    56 times

You did the RIGHT THING!!!! Congrats!! Now don't ever let it go again!
    NRA Range Safety Officer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links