Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Taurus Firing Pins and Dry Firing

In a CCW course I was in today the instructor provided a "heads up" concerning Taurus Revolvers. He said that "Taurus firing pins break if you dry fire them and any gun you can't dry fire is not a gun at all."

Does Taurus in fact have a known problem with pins when dry fired or is this just one man's personal opinion?
    Taurus 745 Millennium Pro - Taurus 24/7 OSS DS 9mm - S&W .357 mag (mod 66) - Beretta U22 - Beretta .22 Minx M4 - Ruger LCP

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Re: Taurus Firing Pins and Dry Firing

what gun? i have heard the DA only snub nose revolvers have such a snap release they do break.

my M66 has had like 500 dry fires and more daily.
    "These Sarah Brady types must be educated to understand that because we have an armed citizenry, that a dictatorship has not happened in America. These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to Liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."
    -Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."
    - Larry Elder, radio personality

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10461 times

Preacher, I think that's a bunch of hooey. I've dry fired my Taurus revolvers often, and never had a firing pin break, snap, bend, or anything else. I'd ask him for proof on this point.....I seriously doubt he can provide any. Taurus is a favorite for bashing, and many jump on the bandwagon.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidlin
    what gun?
    The inference was Taurus revovers in general.. no specific one.
    Taurus 745 Millennium Pro - Taurus 24/7 OSS DS 9mm - S&W .357 mag (mod 66) - Beretta U22 - Beretta .22 Minx M4 - Ruger LCP

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

o well then he is full of crap. I thought maybe he was talking about a gun in class or something. challenge him to a shoot. your Taurus against any gun he wants. dry fire the hell out of your gun then show him
    "These Sarah Brady types must be educated to understand that because we have an armed citizenry, that a dictatorship has not happened in America. These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to Liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."
    -Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

"A woman who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders."
    - Larry Elder, radio personality

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidlin
    dry fire the hell out of your gun then show him
    Well, I have a pistol (24/7) so the problem doesn't apply but I might be interested in a revolver in the future so I wanted to verify or debunk this statement.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10461 times

I personally dry fired this revolver at least 50-60 times when I first got it. I then took it to the range and put 100 rounds through it, then brought it home, cleaned it, and dry fired it some more. No issues at all.

You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I'd say he's full of crap. i've dry fired my 605 well over ten thousand times without issue. if he's talking about hammer-mounted firing pins on older revolvers, then he has a point...but that wouldn't single out one manufacturer.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    4750 times

Just when I was forgeting about the 45 ACP snub you had to go and put up a pic TTG thanks a lot LOL
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3965 times

I've got a 1 year old Taurus 85UL with about 400 dry fires with snap caps. No problems at all.

NRA Life Member - TSRA Member

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Links