Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Model 669 vs Model 689

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  669shooter 
#1 ·

Are these two revolvers the same except the 669 does not have the ribbed barrel the 689 has? Do these two revolvers use the same cylinder and extractor?

#5 ·
My 689 (before I stupidly traded it in) said "669" inside the cylinder opening. Short story, if it has the vented rib, it's a 689. Other than that, it's the same gun.

#7 ·
Nope - see my post above. The 689's were stamped 669 because they are essentially the same gun, except the 689 has the vented rib on top. ;)

#8 ·
I had a 689 stamped 669 but traded it for a newer and more useful, to me anyway, Taurus revolver. I've been wishing I'd kept that 6" barreled beauty.

#9 ·
The 669 is a ported weapon; my 1996 669SS4CP is. Was the vent rib Mdl 689 ported?

#12 ·
David, I'm not quite sure how to describe this but the last inch of my 669 barrel under the porting is not stainless. It was there years ago when I acquired the weapon and is a grey rough surface. It doesn't affect accuracy but could this be a big chunk of lead that is packed in there? Would appreciate it if you have a answer. thanks,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.