Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Raging Bull in .454 How bad or, how good is the recoil??

Just ordered a RB in .454. Since I have never fired anything chambered for that caliber. I was wondering how the recoil is?
    Gun Control: Is Using both hands!

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    605 times

Re: Raging Bull in .454 How bad or, how good is the recoil??

Acerman,

I haven't had an opportunity to shoot the RB in .454 but I do own the .500 Magnum model with the 10" barrel. While the recoil is there and it certainly does get your attention, it's not by any means unmanageable. The weight coupled with the ribber grips and the porting all go a long way towards reducing felt recoil.

To me, I perceive the .500 as more of a backwards shove into the palm of my hand rather than a sharp muzzle flip, associated with some big bore revolvers.

Congrats too on your purchase.
    "You gotta be one of the good guys, son, 'cause there's way too many of the bad." - John Custer to his son Jesse.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I had a 6" RB in 454. Recoil was less than my 4" S&W 44 magnum but muzzle blast was nasty! In short, it's no hard kicker but it sure barks too loud for my liking.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Sounds interesting .Can't wait to get it and, try it out.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I have a .454 Ruger Alaskan. Recoil is heavy. Can't really compair it with anything else I have as It's the only big bore I have.
    It's kind of like my S&W 360. A 12 oz. .357. Only heavier and not quit as sharp?
    I love it.
    Oscar
    .22,.32,.380,.9mm,.40,.357 Sig,.357 Mag.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Oscarswanson,
    I'll bet the recoil is heavy on the Alaskan.It's one of my have to have guns in the future.

powerkicker- Your right the 4" 44 mag has more kick than this RB in 454C.

I finally received my RB(Raging Bull) and went to the range.
    Put on my shooting gloves and loaded up some factory 260 gr 454Casull rounds.Never fired a 454 until now.
    WOW! What a sledgehammer on both ends of the muzzle.I'll have to be honest and say: "the recoil was not near as bad as I anticipated".The muzzle blast is significant with a nice fireball flash.The Raging Bull (6 1/2" barrel) does a nice job of making all that recoil very manageable.And, very accurate. I was hitting 10" steel plates pretty regular at 50 yds.I ended up shooting some of my reloads with H110 powder loaded with various charges up to max.With a 250 gr. jacketed bullet.The RB handled them with no problem. All the spent cases ejected with ease. No pressure signs with the brass. All in all I really like this caliber.I'm not a hunter.But, if I were this would be the caliber of choice for handgun hunting.It's one to be respected but not be afraid of at all.And, I give the Raging Bull a 5 star rating.The gun handled the 454 loads with out any problems. The balance and feel for such a large frame is surprisingly good.I have med-large hands and it fits them fine.You don't feel out of control with this gun like I felt when I was shooting the Desert Eagle .50AE.
    This is a Keeper.

Member #
    Liked
    84 times

You don't feel out of control with this gun like I felt when I was shooting the Desert Eagle .50AE.
    yeah, I know what you mean; I've shot a DE in .44mag and .50 before I got my .44mag RBull...never shot a .44mag revolver before.

when I took it to the range for the first time I was afraid to shoot it; stood there and looked at the 'monster' for 5 minutes before I gathered the courage to load it. When I finally shot it I laughed at myself since it had about 1/3 of the recoil I expected. : DE had way more muzzle fip, while RBull is all push...

anyways I like my stainless 6.5in Raging Bull a lot; best looking revolver IMO
    Go your way now, go with God, bag full of guns…

Check out my Pro Gun T-Shirts at http://www.cafepress.com/hotsky

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Got bulls in 44mag, 454 casull, .500 smith with 10" barrel. all are fun to shoot but the 500 will put a hell of a smile on your face!!!!!!!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I have a S&W 460 5" and I love it! It always turns heads at the range whether shooting the 460 or 454 out of it. I am a fairly small guy and don't find the recoil of either rounds unbearable. The only comment I have is to wear double hearing because these rounds (especially 460) are louder than front stage at a Motley Crue concert! Like Rvito says; these rounds will put a smile on your face.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

my 454 is for sale,but if you reload ,the recoil is very manageable.
    the only one load i didn't care for is the 335 gr corbon load. in fact it wasn't realterrible,but the last one stuck the case in the cylinder to the point where i waited to get home to hammer out the stuck case.

the 300 gr ltc di a good job,and i noticed in single action the trigger pulll is pretty light,which was fine with me.

i'm sure you'll enjoy it.a few years back i watched a guy shooting his
    454 from 100 yqards,most hits were in the bullseye.he was using a bushnell holo sight.enjoy your revolver,dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links