Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: New for 2014: Taurus 85 View

Member #
    Liked
    416 times

New for 2014: Taurus 85 View

Any comments on the Taurus 85-View, new for the 2014 year? That certainly looks interesting and I'm going to have to check it out at next month's SHOT Show.

See it in the 2014 Taurus catalog:

http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/2014_taurus_catalog.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17011 times
    Wow! I'm going to have to check this thing out.
    MilProGuy and TexasAviator like this.
    I propose federal funding to eliminate America's most terrible disease......Stupidity!

Member #
    Liked
    1251 times
    Poor trigger discipline in the ad but still an intriguing looking gun. As long as they never mess with the regular M85!!!! (And M605)

Wait, how do you eject the spend cases??? That nub of an ejector rod doesn't look like it would do much.
    Last edited by Maximumbob54; 12-18-2013 at 04:47 AM.
    Reddrage likes this.
    It's a trick... Get an axe...

Member #
    Liked
    3862 times
    The ejector rod should work just fine, if it were on a normal 85 it would be too short. However, you have to consider that the 'View' is at least an inch shorter on the barrel and the body has been reduced in size as well. So even though it barely pokes out the front of the frame, once you swing the cylinder out I'm sure there's more than enough room to pop those .38's out.
    kruizer@q.com likes this.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5067 times
    I think I will pass on the "View."
    drummin_man627 likes this.
    NRA Member
    CWP Florida
    FairTax Supporter

Member #
    Liked
    424 times
    Once I saw the revolver in the picture I'll pass.

The clear side plate is gimicky and the uber short ejector rod is useless. Does Taurus expect the spent cases to just fall out of the cylinder??
    PT-740 Slim
    PT-745
    PT-1911

Member #
    Liked
    763 times
    This is one of the revolvers I am looking forward to seeing at the Shot Show. but just from pics I will say that once it comes out with a black stainless frame and titanium barrel and cylinder I will probably pic one up. not sure how much I would shoot it BUT it is a excellent way to show people how a revolver works and honestly to my eyes the thing is cool as heck.

Member #
    Liked
    20224 times
    Duh...what's next a lexan barrel so you can watch the bullets being launched?

Lance0812 and btleslie like this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    1699 times
    Don't sell this new revolver short based on what you think you see in the picture . There are other ways to get your exercise beside jumping to conclusions!

I first saw and handled the View at the plant in Miami in September/October 2011. At that time I was sworn to silence under threat of being made to live in New York City as my sentence if I leaked a word! The first prototype had come in and Mark was actually carrying it in a real world test. The next time I saw the gun was at Shot show last January. It was not on display to the public but it was there to show to some commercial customers and when I handled it I was impressed with the changes that had been made to the prototype.

Robert Crescenzi, Product Marketing Manager, was directly involved with the evolution of the View. He also carried and practiced with the gun in the real world. The gun was constantly being re-evaluated and changes were made as problems or possible short comings developed. Robert made many trips to Brazil to actually work with the engineers and make changes, both major and subtle, to the view. At the same time, Mark kept his eye on it and his hands in the development of the View.

I have seen and played with the View a couple times since last years Shot and every time I handled it I was impressed with how the little gun was coming along.

To condemn the sideplate and decide that the ejector rod is "useless" with no more information then a photograph is ridiculous. Does anyone really believe they can see a major problem with a brand new gun by looking at a picture that the designers, engineers, and folks actually carrying the gun would not have noticed in 2 years of constant testing!

This is not a gun that you buy and then complain about because you can't shoot a one inch group at 25 yards. It is not a gun you buy so your wife can shoot +P loads at the range with you all day. This is a gun that has been designed and manufactured hand in hand with Taurus's Carry On Program to help people take advantage of their right to self defense that Taurus is 100% dedicated to.

Right now there are probably not more than 6 of these guns in the United States.... when they are actually released (or when those who attend Shot see them) I think you will be very pleasantly surprised. This is a gun that will make it possible for those who have one to conceal and carry a .38 revolver with no more difficulty than carrying a TCP!

Just hold your judgements until you actually see and hold this little gun.... give it a chance!

Don
    Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist. Children already know that monsters exist. Fairy tales teach children that monsters can be killed..... G.K. Chesterton

Member #
    Liked
    1251 times
    OK, so how do you eject spent cases with such a short ejector? That's my only serious issue. I understand it's not a range blasting gun. No small frame centerfire is. If the ejector was at least close to the lenght of that short looking barrel I could still see it as functional, but it's hard enough on a S&W J frame's 1 3/4" barrel to eject the empties without practicing your karate chop. This looks to be even worse. I get the minimalistic grip, I love the polished trigger, and I can see chopping that extra bit off the barrel, but that nub of an extractor is really throwing me for a loop.
    It's a trick... Get an axe...

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Links