Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MOONDAWG
  • 1 Post By Maximumbob54

Thread: 2014 Taurus Catalog

Member #
    Liked
    81 times

2014 Taurus Catalog

Just saw the 2014 Taurus catalog on the main web page. Just FYI, I do not see the 94, 941, or 405 in it.

My LGS has a couple of 2" stainless 94s. Guess I better run & get one while still there, or while they are still in the on line stores.

Let me ask you experienced Taurus owners, after my stainless 85 went to Miami twice, it came back as what is now my favorite revolver. The trigger is soooooo smooth and it shoots absolutely wonderful. So how does the trigger on a 94 .22 snubby compare to a smooth 85? I know the rimfire cartridge usually requires a harder hit than a center fire, but after it is used a bit (say 500 rds or more) will the 94 smooth out and get close to a well used 85?

Thank you for any input.

Best Regards

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    The catalog DOES feature the 905 stainless and the 380, though, so at least they haven't given up on those yet.

The 94 trigger absolutely SUCKS. My 94 is the only Taurus I've ever sold. The pull was horrendous, although it wasn't gritty that I recall. I don't know if it gets better with use, as I promptly got rid of mine. I liked the revolver a lot--before I went to the range. It was the 94 Ultra-Lite. Sweet little lightweight gun. Terrible trigger. Maybe that's why it looks like it might be discontinued?

In any case, the trigger pull doesn't need to be that hard. I have plenty of tiny .22 revolvers and none of them have a trigger pull that hard.

If they could have made it like the old-school Charter Arms Pathfinder (not the current model), then they would have had a sure winner. As it is, I just can't recommend it.

Member #
    Liked
    1265 times
    ALL triggers on rimfire revolvers are heavier than you are used to with a centerfire revolver since the rimfire needs a harder thwack from the hammer. I have a 94 snub and yes the trigger sucks in that it is very heavy but it's fairly clean otherwise. You can try and tinker with the springs but most I've read about that have done that then get light strikes. If the trigger pull really bothers you then an auto might be better for you.
    It's a trick... Get an axe...

Member #
    Liked
    20380 times
    I love my M-94 and it isn't for sale. Since it's necessary for reliable operation .22 rimfire revolvers tend to have heavier trigger pulls than their centerfire brethern.

From the factory the main spring strut on my gun was rough as a corn cob. I took a felt polishing wheel on my Dremel tool and some Mother's Mag Polish and polished it to a mirror finish.

Then I replaced the main spring with a Wolff mainspring for the Taurus M-85.

This shade tree trigger job took all of 30 minutes. It smoothed up the trigger pull enormously and lightened the double action pull from about 12 lbs. to a slick 9.5 lbs. yet still gives me 100% reliable ignition.
    codegeek likes this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    I have a Polish P-64. That is a heavy DA trigger. My 85 is between my Sig P250SC and my Bodyguard 380 and is very very smooth with factory springs. If I got a 94 it would be a plinker & range practice revolver. I'm certainly not opposed to "tinkering" with it since it would not be a carry revolver.
    Thank you for the input (and encouragement) MoonDawg. I appreciate it and very likely to give it a try.

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    ALL triggers on rimfire revolvers are heavier than you are used to with a centerfire revolver since the rimfire needs a harder thwack from the hammer. I have a 94 snub and yes the trigger sucks in that it is very heavy but it's fairly clean otherwise. You can try and tinker with the springs but most I've read about that have done that then get light strikes. If the trigger pull really bothers you then an auto might be better for you.
    The 94 trigger might be what it needed to be, I don't know, but none of my other .22 revolvers have that kind of trigger pull, so I don't see why the 94 needs it. Like I said, tho, my older-design Charter Arms Pathfinder is about the same size and it's fun to shoot with a pleasant trigger. And not light strikes at all. If the 94 does require such of a hard trigger pull, there's something wrong in the design.

Member #
    Liked
    1265 times
    Not sure what to tell you on that one. I've shot some older S&W's and they all had heavier than usual triggers. If yours is indeed that much more heavy then perhaps something is wrong with it.
    MR_22 likes this.
    It's a trick... Get an axe...

Member #
    Liked
    1919 times
    Got my new Taurus "Carry On" magazine and catalog in the mail this morning. Came unsolicited. Good, informative publication. As you were; Carry on!!!!
    U.S. Navy 2-63/3-86 Retired E-8, MMCS
    Caterpillar Field Service Tech 1988-2007
    Retired and loving it!!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    49 times
    I received my copy of the new "Carry On" magazine as well. I actually like the View quite a bit. it appears to be lightweight, very compact...and has some nice styling. seeing the functioning of the revolver does have a cool-factor to it. It seems like it would be nice his and hers gifts! I'll have to check it out...and if it shoots half as good as what the testing shows, i will be very pleased, indeed.

Links