Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 44 tracker ammo advice for black bear

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

44 tracker ammo advice for black bear

As the title mentions, I just bought a tracker in 44 mag and am searching for a good load for black bear. I ran into a bear and cub at close range last turkey season and would like something decent for protection.

I'm read many related posts and am familiar with the chamber limitations of the tracker. I am considering both factory and reloads.

For factory ammo: I was considering the Federal 300gr cast lead factory load (P44e) for only very limited use IF it fits and functions well. I can't seem to find other lead options aside from the very large and hot buffalo bore and grizzly type loads. Maybe I should consider a typical 240 gr jacketed soft tip??

For the reload option: I've loaded win 296 for other magnum calibers, but there doesn't seem to be any factory load data for lead loads, just JHP.

I plan on reloading some lighter win 231 240gr ammo for general practice.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
    Stroker likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    12357 times
    Welcome to the forum, I would go with HSM Bear Loads. Never tried them in .44mag but I have in .500 mag and they kicked like a mule.

HSM Bear Ammo 44 Remington Mag 305 Grain Wide Flat Nose Gas Check Box
    Shooting and Fishing! Life is Good!
    ><((((º> ><((((º> ><((((º> Fish on! <º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about getting out there and Dancing in the Rain.

Member #
    Liked
    1278 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kkeduda View Post
    As the title mentions, I just bought a tracker in 44 mag and am searching for a good load for black bear. I ran into a bear and cub at close range last turkey season and would like something decent for protection.

I'm read many related posts and am familiar with the chamber limitations of the tracker. I am considering both factory and reloads.

For factory ammo: I was considering the Federal 300gr cast lead factory load (P44e) for only very limited use IF it fits and functions well. I can't seem to find other lead options aside from the very large and hot buffalo bore and grizzly type loads. Maybe I should consider a typical 240 gr jacketed soft tip??

For the reload option: I've loaded win 296 for other magnum calibers, but there doesn't seem to be any factory load data for lead loads, just JHP.

I plan on reloading some lighter win 231 240gr ammo for general practice.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
    That would be my recommendation as I use the same load from Federal® albeit in 41 Remington® Magnum. The Federal® Premium® Vital-Shok® CastCore® loads in 357 Mag, 41 Mag, & 44 Mag are AWESOME BEAR DEFENSE LOADS!
    David
    CW3, U.S. Army (Ret)
    09/26/1968-05/31/1990
    Vietnam Veteran - 2 Tours

Vulnerata, Fortis, Dignus Veterani

Only two defining forces ever died for you:
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine.
    One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
    1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi..
    Here are a couple more choices that may or may not suite your needs..

Underwood
    44 Remington Magnum 300 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 50

Doubletap
    44 Magnum 320gr WFN 50rds.

Underwood's ammo rocks (imo) and is my primary goto round in many calibers.

-Tim

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    9502 times
    I think you're on the right track.....I would likely stay away from hollowpoints, in favor of something with more penetration and adequate punch. Remington makes a 240 grain jacketed softpoint that isn't too hard to get your hands on, that would likely do the trick, otherwise some other good loads are mentioned above.
    AOCM.RET likes this.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Although I didn't purchase them, I found some HSM 305 gr gas checked lead flat point at my local Cabelas. It's got a higher velocity than the similar Federal load. Would that be too much for the taurus tracker? The value I keep reading is 240 gr @ 1350 fps. I'm worried that might be too much for the tracker, I don't want to blow it (or me) apart!

I did pickup some Herters 240 gr Jacked soft point. It was cheap, only $34 per box of 50.

I would like to find the Federal load since its a bit milder and slower, but still a large hunk of deep penetrating lead.

I was hoping to get some first hand advice from 44mag tracker owners. What have you shot in yours? I won't be giving it a steady diet of the hot stuff, just occasional practice and carry in the woods...

Member #
    Liked
    6601 times
    Welcome to TA from Minnesota. Good luck with your bear loads.
    NON ILLEGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM

Member #
    Liked
    271 times
    I agree with pretty much everyone else. Any kind of hard cast lead round would be the best. If you can, try to see if it fits prior to purchase since the Tracker's cylinder is a little shorter than standard. I've lost about $60 in ammo because it didn't fit and I couldn't close the cylinder! Also (this is my advice) try to avoid the biggest baddest round you can find (e.g., Buffalo Bore etc.). The Tracker was designed to be a packable handgun and this is a little lighter than most .44s. You just don't want it to turn into a hand grenade! I think the manual suggests nothing more than 240 gr. bullets (I frequently load Federal 300 gr. so you should be ok).
    Never sacrifice comfort for style!

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    9502 times
    Keep in mind also that the Tracker cylinder is not a standard length 44 mag cylinder - you're very likely not going to be able to use something like Buffalo Bore 305 gr. in it, due to the length of the round. Stick with the more standard loads and you should be fine.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9652 times
    I do not own the Taurus Tracker, however I do own the Taurus 44SS8. I will be taking this hunting during general gun season; I will be hunting where there is a large black bear population, but they are protected, so I will not be hunting them. The load I will be using is a hard cast lead truncated cone bullet, by Pen bullets, (rated to 1600 FPS gas checks not needed) sitting over 20 grains of H110 powder; this produces, on average, 1492 FPS, this is a compressed load of about 110%. Even at this load it is very accurate and manageable, however, I do not know if the Tracker would do well with this load. I also load a Nosler 300 grain JHP over 20 grains of H110 with an average of 1402 FPS; this is a compressed load of 115%. It is fairly accurate, but the recoil is on the edge of being considered manageable. I do not recommend this load for the Tracker. I have fired at least 300 rounds of the 240 grain and 100 of the 340 grain, all without any problems or damage to the 44SS8; my targets are set out at 50 yards and I do not use a scope.

THESE LOAD ARE NOT RECOMMENDED FOR DUPLICATION. DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Be safe
    DAVE

"The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

One shot, one kill; anything else is a waste of ammo!
    Maybe not the sharpest tack in the box.............but not dull!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links