Thread: Pt99

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Pt99

I have a PT 99 that the top right of the barrel is rubbing on the slide, Is this something I can fix, or does it need to be returned back to Taurus

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2171 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdogman View Post
    I have a PT 99 that the top right of the barrel is rubbing on the slide, Is this something I can fix, or does it need to be returned back to Taurus
    It would help considerably, if you would post a pic of the wear area.

There is normally, some finish wear towards the end of the Barrel, where the Slide stops, and this may be normal finish wear.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I hope these come out. Here are some pictures of my problem, slide rubs againts the barrel.Name:  IMG_0711.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  1.81 MBName:  IMG_0712.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  725.1 KBName:  IMG_0709.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  879.1 KBName:  IMG_0714.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  986.1 KB

Member #
    Liked
    482 times
    Well, the way the thing is designed, there WILL be contact between the barrel and the slide in the places you indicate in the photos. There is metal-to-metal , barrel-to-slide when in battery, for full lockup. That is just the nature of firearms of this sort. Then, after the slide begins to move rearward in recoil, it will likely rub on the barrel somewhat. Again, just the nature of the creature.

These are incredibly well engineered and designed pieces of art, not merely tools or machines, you know. But there will be places where there will be metal moving on/against metal, and the finish will show it. Nothing wrong, just the way it is, they all do it from the most well tuned S&W to the roughest Jiminez. Glocks & HiPoints do it as well..

Now if it were a big, single-line gouge, deep and rough, there would be a problem for fixing, but if it isn't any worse than your pix show it to be, shoot, enjoy, and look upon that area of altered finish as just another beauty mark, I suppose.

Flash
    Last edited by Flash60601; 04-21-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    3576 times
    Looks like the outside of pretty much al my semi-auto barrels, it's just that a 92/99 is going to show it off more than others due to the open slide design. The only one that isn't really noticeable is my 945 because the entire pistol is stainless, so you don't notice the scratches down the length as easily as the ones that are blued.

Other than a visual check of the alignment of the locking block on the barrel, I don't think there's much you can do to prevent it. But if you want, you can call Taurus and see if they'll cover the cosmetic defects and check the clearance specs to possibly replace the barrel and slide to get it back to original.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Links