Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Taurus PT 638 380 ACP Pro sa

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Taurus PT 638 380 ACP Pro sa

I recently purchased the PT 638 Pro sa for myself and my wife. We have put about 150 rounds through them but keep have issues with feed jams and ejection jamming. The guns have been field stripped and clean well as well as lubricated. I have read several posts with similar issues. What is the answer if any? I like the gun, it feels nice and shoots well. I cannot have the jamming issues though. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Welcome to the forum. What type of ammo have you tried? How often does it occur? Does it do it with both magazines?
    Taurus Tracker 44mag
    Taurus PT92 9mm
    Taurs 66 357mag
    Taurus 85 38sp
    Taurus 82 38sp
    Taurus PT638 380
    Taurus PT111 G2 9mm
    Custom 1911 45acp
    Firestar M45 45acp

An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.
    Will Rogers

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you. I have shot my 638 three times, it has jammed on two of those occasions. Yesterday was the worst, several times I fired two shots and the casing failed to eject. Then I could fire 15 rounds fine. Both magazines are affected. My wife's 638 was fired for the first time. There was one failure to feed event out of 75 rounds. I was using a mixture of Remington UMC and Blazer Brass. I am suspect of the Blazer ammo, to tell the truth I didn't pay close enough attention to which ammo was causing the potential problem. I plan on shooting again next week and will pay close attention to magazines and ammo.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Yes, trying to narrow down to magazines might help. Did you dissasemble the magazines and clean also? Check the magazine followers for burrs or casting lines while you have them out. Clean again and lube the gun well with a spray lube like Rem Oil or Break Free CLP. Pay special attention to the extractor area. If the extractor is sticky and rounds aren't sliding up under it freely it can cause malfunctions.
    Taurus Tracker 44mag
    Taurus PT92 9mm
    Taurs 66 357mag
    Taurus 85 38sp
    Taurus 82 38sp
    Taurus PT638 380
    Taurus PT111 G2 9mm
    Custom 1911 45acp
    Firestar M45 45acp

Will Rogers

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for the suggestions. I will keep you posted.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Went to shooting range today. The 638's jammed again. It doesn't matter what magazine it is. The Blazer Brass ammo jams every time. The American Eagle and Remington UMC worked fine. I still believe this is more then an ammo issue though. I am sending the guns back to Taurus. I think Taurus has a LOUSY policy making the owner pay for shipping. This is their problem not mine as is evidenced by the numerous problems other owners have had as detailed on the web.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Sorry to hear you are still having jamming issues but it sounds to me like you have narrowed it down to a particular ammo. You will find this with many semi autos, not just Taurus PT638 or Taurus in general. That is why it's important to test the ammo you intend to use for proper function and use what works. A company like Taurus, or S&W, or Ruger can't possibly test every ammo in the world in a given gun. If your guns are newer than 6 months old Tausus will pay shipping. You may have to make that clear to them. Keep in mind that it is under LIFETIME warranty with repairs paid for and some other manufacturers would make you pay shipping and cost of repairs if it is a used gun.
    My advice would be to keep shooting it with what works. These kind of issues often resolve themselves with breakin.
    Last edited by RedDog; 03-30-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    loudviking likes this.
    Taurus Tracker 44mag
    Taurus PT92 9mm
    Taurs 66 357mag
    Taurus 85 38sp
    Taurus 82 38sp
    Taurus PT638 380
    Taurus PT111 G2 9mm
    Custom 1911 45acp
    Firestar M45 45acp

Will Rogers

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the information. I will call Taurus Monday. I was going by their repair policy published on their website. From what I have read this is a common issue with the PT 638. People who have returned the pistols have been very satisfied and able to shoot any ammo. Your point is well taken about testing the ammo. I have never had to do this with any other guns, including Taurus. There seems to be a problem with the 638's as way too many people are experiencing the exact same problem. I will keep you posted as to my progress.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Contacted Taurus today. They issued a label to return the pistols for repair. Will require six to eight weeks. All I want is the weapons repaired and for them to work well. They are very nice pieces and I want to have confidence in them.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    6859 times
    For what it's worth, I have a PT638 and it's rapidly becoming one of my favorite guns. Considering my arsenal and my experience that's no small testimony. It's mostly shot everything I've run through it, with the exception of the Winchester White Box flat-point which it sometimes has a problem where the slide does not completely return to battery. But as I've shot it more it seems to be getting better, even with that ammo. I've found a lot of these issues do work themselves out as you shoot them. That does require an investment in range time and ammo. I've got about 900 rounds through mine and it's starting to find it's groove.

I fired 200 rounds through it yesterday with one failure to feed on the first round from a magazine, which I blame on one of my reloads, the bullet was canted in the case. I hope you get yours worked out. I think it's a great platform.
    "I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links