Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GreenWolf70

Thread: TCP 738 Troubles

Member #
    Liked
    18 times

TCP 738 Troubles

Well, I just got off the phone with Taurus. They pretty much told me I was screwed.

Because of a "non standard take down pin" my failure to extract problems (and other problems) are just going to be ignored as the gun is no longer going to be covered by warranty. They did tell me that they "don't offer this to just anyone" and wanted to up sell me a "Pro shooter Program" which means they'll keep my old gun and give me a new one for and additional $260.00. I only payed $250 or so for it in the first place, but now I have to spend $40.00 less than a new one on top of that to buy a new one under this wonderful offer to get any service? What a rip off. I told them to just send it back to me since there is nothing real they will do to help me out. This is ridiculous.

I don't care how many people have good luck with this gun, the fact is they came up with a BS reason to NOT cover a known issue with this model. They screwed me. STAY AWAY from the TCP unless you get it new, even then they will probably find a way to rip you off over this gun and it's known issues if you experience them.

Avolow.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Avolow View Post
    Well, I just got off the phone with Taurus. They pretty much told me I was screwed.

Because of a "non standard take down pin" my failure to extract problems (and other problems) are just going to be ignored as the gun is no longer going to be covered by warranty. They did tell me that they "don't offer this to just anyone" and wanted to up sell me a "Pro shooter Program" which means they'll keep my old gun and give me a new one for and additional $260.00. I only payed $250 or so for it in the first place, but now I have to spend $40.00 less than a new one on top of that to buy a new one under this wonderful offer to get any service? What a rip off. I told them to just send it back to me since there is nothing real they will do to help me out. This is ridiculous.

I don't care how many people have good luck with this gun, the fact is they came up with a BS reason to NOT cover a known issue with this model. They screwed me. STAY AWAY from the TCP unless you get it new, even then they will probably find a way to rip you off over this gun and it's known issues if you experience them.

Avolow.
    What is a "non-standard" take down pin? Is it a modified original or something made to replace the original?

NRA Life Member - TSRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I have no idea. I have been looking at all the pictures of a "Take Down Pin" that I can find and they all look exactly like what was on my TCP when I sent it to Taurus for service. All the pictures of TCP parts look like what was on mine before I sent it in for service. I am so fumingly mad right now that Taurus is screwing a loyal customer like me over known issues with this fire arm. If it was some problem that no other TCP ever had I could even say "well bummer" and suck it up, but over something that as I do more research I am finding this same issue all over the net? This is absolutely ridiculous. I only own Taurus handguns, I have had 4 now including this TCP and was thinking of getting a Judge and a 709, but not after this. I am on hold again to talk to a manager, but if they don't make this common issue right the one time I need them I'll never buy another Taurus again and they will loose a loyal customer that has talked several people into buying their guns at the local gun stores when the salesmen are trying to steer them to some other brand.

Avolow.

Member #
    Liked
    2212 times
    Hold on there...either the take down pin is the original OEM pin, or it is not. If it is stock, you have an argument, if it isn't, or you modified it, you don't and why would you send back a pistol to CS without sticking the OEM parts back in it?
    MilProGuy likes this.
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and the cowards rule.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    My TCP was sent to them exactly how it was bought maybe two weeks before it was sent in for service. I bought a gun with original box, pouch, and mag, took it to the range twice were it didn't perform reliably at all, and called called customer service after the second trip that was made to try 4 different brands of ammo. Nothing on it looked aftermarket at all, not that there is an aftermarket for these (that I've found) outside of magazines.

I called them back and spoke with someone that was a little more helpful than the last person I talked with. They said instead of the $260 charge since it was basically only $40 less buying a new one and keeping the old one that cost me around $250 (leaving me $500+ into a $300 firearm) they would send me a brand new one for $160 plus keeping my old one if I switched from a stainless slide to a blued one. Bottom line is, all I want is a functional firearm. I didn't choose this one for the colors, I chose it for the size. As long as I am not just left high and dry I don't care. Still a little erked over the additional $160, but it is better than the $260 they originally offered. Not as sour over this deal as I was over an hour ago, but still don't like getting raked like this no matter who's the one doing it.

The first person I talked to didn't even tell me that if Taurus had sent my firearm back they would have permanently deactivated it first so I couldn't even take it to a local gunsmith to have it looked at. I would have got a $250.00 paperweight back that I could have done nothing with.

Like I said, still not as sour as I was an hour ago, but still not 100% happy with this whole experience. Before this I wouldn't have thought twice about getting another Taurus, but now I guess it's time to try a few other brands. I still LOVE my other Taurus pistols, they are perfect and flawless.

Here's hoping I can learn to love this new TCP and that it don't give me issues too.

Avolow.

Member #
    Liked
    828 times
    Just sounds really strange.....Ive got an "A" model that has been flawless....I hope it gets worked out to your satisfaction!

Member #
    Liked
    2212 times
    If that is the original take down pin that came on your new 738, then tell them that. If they still insist it is not the original part, ask for a supervisor. Something is wrong here.
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and the cowards rule.

Member #
    Liked
    1980 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    If that is the original take down pin that came on your new 738, then tell them that. If they still insist it is not the original part, ask for a supervisor. Something is wrong here.
    I agree, someting is wrong here. I would call them again and go over this. Nonoe of what you are saying sounds anything like what I have come to know Taurus customer service to be.

Links