Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New PT 709 Slim - Reset, Slam Fire Issues

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

New PT 709 Slim - Reset, Slam Fire Issues

I just purchased my second Taurus - the first being a PT 145 Millennium Pro that has performed flawlessly once the magazine drop issue was fixed by replacing the mag release and magazines. This PT 709, intended for my wife for concealed carry has me a bit worried and will soon be headed to Miami...
    The first day at the range after cleaning the firearm and both magazines resulted in the following firing a total of about 75 rounds of 115 gr PMC FMJ:

1. Shoots low and left by multiple shooters, supported by a sandbag - well documented elsewhere and Iíve got the sight adjusted all the way over.
    2. After about 50 rounds, it would intermittently fail to reset to single action although would fire after allowing the trigger to return all the way forward.
    3. There were no FTEs however it failed to return to battery once.

The second day at the range, after another cleaning resulted in the following firing another 75 rounds mixing in some 147 gr Speer TMJ and 115 gr Fiocchi FMJ:

1. Still low and left though the Speer seemed to find its mark a bit closer to point of aim.
    2. The reset problem seemed to start to occur more frequently.
    3. There were no FTEs but I did get two failures to load Ė the round never made it fully out of the magazine hanging up on the feed ramp.
    4. After about 50 rounds, I started getting what I am assuming were slam fires Ė two rounds going off in rapid succession without an extra pull of the trigger. This happened more than once with each of the three types of ammunition.

That was enough for me and Iíve cleaned it once again, this time removing the firing pin and cleaning the channel which did have some firing residue in it. After reassembling it and manually cycling the action, about every six attempts, the trigger will not reset properly. It doesnít matter if I pull and release quickly or go slower, riding it forward some.
    All of the range issues listed above will get copied onto my work order but Iím wondering if thereís anyone here who could give me some sense of whatís going on. I didnít keep detailed notes as I was just trying to get a feel for how well it would fire, not trying to give a thorough review.
    TXEric likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4093 times
    Welcome to the forum!
    I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your 709. The slam fire one is particularly troubling, hope that gets resolved soon!
    I know that I had to consciously use just the pad of my finger on the trigger; if I inserted my finger to the first joint, I was pushing it low/left consistently. After concentrating on using just the pad, I got it corrected to point of aim pretty much every time.
    Keep us updated - the 709 is a great carry gun (I carry it all the time), but they do take some getting used to. And, if it indeed needs repair, getting it back to Taurus is the best choice. They will make good on it.

Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Your sear is slow returning to the full up position or you have damaged parts (e.g.sear surface slanted, weak sear spring, bur on sear, striker foot slanted or too short, etc.). The sear could just have dirt, goo, or debris retarding sear movement so cleaning the fire control parts may help. But if cleaning doesn't fix your problem you have a mechanical problem and you'll have to send the whole gun to Taurus to get it fixed. The suspect parts are all controlled parts and you can't buy them from Taurus.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I was wondering about the sear and wasn't sure how much I could really clean out of that area with what I had on hand. I suppose I could have tried compressed air in there before going back to the range. Nonetheless, it's on its way back to Miami. CS wasn't bad - it took about 40 minutes starting out at number 10 in the queue to get a rep and he took about twenty minutes to complete taking the complaint and collecting information to send out the FEDEX label. He did ask if I was firing off a rest regarding the low and left impacts. I am curious as to what explanation if any I'll get for what was fixed/replaced. I really do like the features of this firearm for its purpose and am hoping the issues get resolved.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3873 times
    I always spray the entire disassembled gun with a solvent until I'm sure that I got all of the preservative out of it. After allowing it to dry, I brush everything, and then lube properly. That means the striker needs to be cleaned, and the same with the firing pin channel. The channel is NOT lubed. Fouling in the firing pin channel can allow the firing pin to stick forward, making slam-fires a real possibility.

Member #
    Liked
    2698 times
    They will get you taken care of. Glad to hear they are asking if the gun was fired off a rest. A lot of people report low/left off the 709 and shooting it off the rest takes the shooter out of the equation. Even having an experienced shooter take a shot at it doesn't always help if they are not used to shooting the small framed guns. Keep us posted when you get it back. You can follow the repair on the Taurus web site. Go to their home page and at the bottom look for 'Repair Status'. Type in your serial number and zip code and it will tell you where they are in the repair. Do not expect to see it there for about a week after you ship it. You may get an e-mail stating 6 weeks. This is standard and it may be quicker depending on the problem.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Just got it back yesterday - a week shy of 4 months later. The gunsmith's report shows damaged trigger bar and striker, oversized front sight, and damaged rear sights with excessive play all replaced. The firearm was bench fired at 10 yards and returned a 1 and 3/8 inch group. I'm looking forward to taking it to the range this weekend...it's a shame though that it originally left the manufacturer with these issues - I'm pretty sure I didn't break it with the few rounds I put through it.

Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    It will be fine now, mine went back with a heavy trigger pull and it has been perfect ever since. And welcome to the forum from West Texas
    A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. - Gerald Ford?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." ~~ George Washington

Member #
    Liked
    4085 times
    Welcome from the Northwoods of MN.

In a perfect world everything would work flawlessly right out of the box, but sadly we do not live in a perfect world. For the majority of cases no product is checked 100%. I spent 40 years working in a liquid and gas control valve manufacturing plan for one of the worlds leading companies. I spent the last ten plus years as a certified nuclear inspector and those nuclear valves were the only ones which were inspected 100% and documented, not saying that our other valves were not good but not every piece was individually inspected. The difference in price between a standard valve and a nuclear valve could easily run in the tens of thousands of dollars and the end consumer such as you and I paid for the quality control for those nuclear valves in the price of the gas, oil, electricity etc. we consumed.
    The Government is not the cure, it is the disease!

Member #
    Liked
    2698 times
    Glad you got it back and I doubt that you caused any of the problems they found on the gun. Every manufacturer lets one slip out the door that is not up to usual standards. You got one of those, but with the Taurus life time warranty, you were covered and taken care of. Let us know how it shoots when you get the chance. Remember, the 709 likes a firm two handed grip (think squeeze tightly), elbows turned out, and only the pad of your finger on the trigger for best results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links