Thread: Ejector problem

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Ejector problem

Hello all this is my first post. I have recently bought my first Taurus a Taurus 709 slim after reading all the good about this gun I was confident I was buying a good product..... Well now I just not sure? I took the gun to the range for the first time yesterday and start putting rounds through it the fist 25 went well then the fun started it would shoot a couple of rounds and then not eject the spent round after changing ammo nothing changed the problem just kept getting worse I finally did not feel safe with the weapon. Has anyone had these problems?

Member #
    Liked
    12273 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmi View Post
    Hello all this is my first post. I have recently bought my first Taurus a Taurus 709 slim after reading all the good about this gun I was confident I was buying a good product..... Well now I just not sure? I took the gun to the range for the first time yesterday and start putting rounds through it the fist 25 went well then the fun started it would shoot a couple of rounds and then not eject the spent round after changing ammo nothing changed the problem just kept getting worse I finally did not feel safe with the weapon. Has anyone had these problems?
    First of all, welcome to the forum. As far as the problem you're having - you need to be really specific when describing problems. When you say the rounds didn't eject, did they extract or where they still in the chamber? Just going on what you've said so far the first thing I would look at is the extractor claw. It should pretty much be straight where it grabs the round, and if there's a divot in the center of the claw it may need to be replaced. This divot can be caused by repeatedly dropping a round into the chamber and letting the slide slam forward on it - so DON'T DO THAT.

Your extractor tension needs to be correct too - if it's too loose it could conceivably cause the problem you're describing. Here's how to check for proper tension. The video is for a 1911, but the principle holds for pretty much any semi auto pistol.

Something else that's worth noting - you will usually see a round impression on the face of the block that's created when you fire rounds. That circle will pretty much be right in line with the barrel WHEN IT'S IN BATTERY. This is NOT where the round is when it extracts. As the slide moves back, the barrel dips down and the cartridge head slides down the face of the block until it is contacted by the ejector and kicked out of the action. Consequently you want to look closely at the bottom of the extractor claw. There should be an angle on the lower inside edge, but the amount of missing material should be minimal. If the 'piece of the corner' that's missing is too big it could slip off the round before it ejects.

"The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    2388 times
    Welcome from Indiana! The 709 is a good little gun and you should not be having these problems. I too would like a little more info on what is happening. I do hope you did a complete field strip of the weapon and cleaning out the factory grease. A good lubing is next before taking it t0 the range. If you did not do this first, I would suggest you do it and start over.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3448 times
    All too many problems in small guns are caused by a lack of initial cleaning and lubricating. Small guns, with high-pressure cartridges, like the 9x19, operate on the edge of reliability. Everything must be correct. Make sure that the gun is clean of any preservative. I've met people who thought that they had been "over lubed" at the factory, and only needed to be wiped down. Like CZ, the guns come all but swimming in a preservative that, at room temperature may seem oily, but is actually more like waxy. Exposed to the heat of the firing cycle, it become more like cement. Make sure that the extractor, and ejector, aren't coated in this material. Preservative on the slide rails can also slow the slide down enough to cause extraction/ejection problems.

If you're sure that this is all correct, contact Taurus.

Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Maybe this thread will help:

709 multiple FTE's; send back to Taurus?

Links