Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Taurus PT-709 Magazine Problems?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Taurus PT-709 Magazine Problems?

Hello Everyone,

I have been troubleshooting a magazine problem with my PT709. I was getting inconsistent feed and magazine drops. The magazines that came with the PT709 would come out when I fired the weapon, leading to a failure to chamber the next round, a tap rack would lead to a double feed. With one magazine, the magazine could come out on every round fired, the other came out once or twice per magazine load. This happened every time I visited the range, so I purchased two additional Taurus PT-709 factory magazines from MidwayUSA and took those out last night. When I fired Speer 124 grain or Federal 115 grain from those magazines, they remained in the pistol, and operation was flawless. When I tried the same loads in the magazines that came with the PT709, one ejected the magazine on every shot, the other twice during the magazine load.

I called Taurus this morning to see if I could get some help and was told it would be best to ship these two magazines back for replacement.

Iíve attached a picture showing one of the big differences between the magazines. The magazine on the LEFT is the newer MidwayUSA Taurus Factory Magazine, and the one on the RIGHT is one of the magazines that came with the pistol. The magazines from MidwayUSA came with a deeper groove on the side Ė you can really see it in this picture compared to the magazine that came with the pistol. In addition, the magazines that came with the PT709 do not drop free easily, but the two MidwayUSA purchased magazines fly out when I press the magazine release button. The magazines appear to have slight design differences to me. The groove channel (as you can see in the picture) is different. In addition, the place where the magazine release engages is smaller on the MidwayUSA magazine vs. the one that came with the pistol (on RIGHT). Iím not a gunsmith, but it would appear that the groove change results in a faster mag release and the smaller mag release area results in a magazine that remains engaged while firing.

Needless to say, I do not feel confident to carry this pistol (I am a conceal carry permit holder) with the magazines that came with the PT709. The magazines I purchased from MidwayUSA however provide flawless operation. Iím not sure if there was a manufacturing change for the magazines (though it sure looks that way in the picture).

Just an FYI to everyone who has a PT-709...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    1247 times
    I dunno. I have 10 mags for my 709s and none of them give me problems in my 2 709s. The notch all look the same, tho...

Member #
    Liked
    2534 times
    I have no issues with my magazines dropping out either. One came with the gun and the other I bought from Buds Guns. The one from Buds was packaged in Taurus wrap and appears to be the same as the one with the gun. I have been shooting the Blazer Brass and the Federal Champion. I would suggest sending the two mags back, as suggested by Taurus, as they will replace them. In the meantime, you still have two and best case senerio - you end up with four good magazines.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3071 times
    I have four 709 mags; two came with pistol bought over a year ago; two received in the past 30 days from CheaperThanDirt. All look like your right hand picture and all work well. I have to 'slap' my mags in place firmly - when just pushing in you'll hear/feel a light 'click' - it won't pull out, but not completely engaged - push again and I hear a second solid 'click'. I'd takeTaurus up on the offer for replacements. Upon receipt I'd put a whole bunch of rounds down range - one hiccup of mag drop and 709 would be on trip to Miami.
    (2) PT709 SS 9mm; PT740 SS .40S&W
    PT140 Blk. Mil Pro G1; PT140 SS Mil Pro G1 .40S&W; PT111 9mm SS Mil Pro G1
    PT24/7 PRO DS SS 9mm; PT24/7 Blk. CA .40S&W; PT24/7 PRO LS DS SS .40S&W
    PT92B-AF; PT92-AFS Tu-Tone; PT99B-AF; PT99-AFS - 9MM; (2) PT100AFS .40S&W
    TRACKER M992B - 6.5" ;.M992SS - 4" .22LR/.22Mag; M17SS - 6.5" .17HMR
    S&W SD9VE SS; Sigma SW9VE SS; SD40VE SS; Sigma SW40VE SS; M&P40C Blk. SS
    (2)TISAS Zigana Sport Two-Tone and all Black 9MM; Texas CHL

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    i recently got a spare from midway it seems too work fine no dropped mags.
    PT709
    1911 Fullsize
    1911 Officers model
    Kahr cw9
    DPMS AR-15
    Taurus Model 66
    Maverick 12ga.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    10 mags? Nice! I ramp my mags up when I'm 100 precent sure of the gun, so I'm guessing you love your 709s

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Amen to that - both mags shipped out today for $5.00 - hopefully I can get two good ones back.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I had the Ruger LC9 with the CTC grips, but sold it when I received the Taurus PT709 in trade (for a Taurus M94). The LC9 had issues when I received it as well - both sights came off the first two range trips (first rear, then front) and I had to send it back to Ruger... But the trigger reset on the LC9 was absolutely terrible... I had a Kel-Tec PF9 that would drop a mag once in awhile (with 124 grain Speer Gold Dots) - and that pistol had some nasty muzzle flip, but ran well enough - I just didn't care to shoot it much . The trigger reset was a little better than the LC9 too...

All-in-all, the Taurus shoots better for me, has a much, much better trigger and reset than any of the other single stack 9's I've owned or shot (Kel-Tec PF9, Ruger LC9, Kahr CM9), and (aside from the mag issue) is just as reliable. Can't beat the price either. Back to that trigger, I'm not sure what you guys think, but the PT709 trigger is exceptional to me. The only other trigger that comes close (from what I've seen) is the S&W Shield (if you can get one!). The Kahr CM9 is a great gun (accurate too), but the reset isn't great to me...

For me, the single stack 9mm is a quick run to the store (alone) weapon. If I'm w/my family, I'm carrying something with more than 7+1 these days... And I ALWAYS have the Ruger LCP in my pocket (CTC included) as a backup...

Thanks for all the comments!

http://www.anygunwilldo.com/calendar/Gun%20Control.pdf
    BigBlue likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I have 2 original mags and 4 from Midway. I've had no problems with any of them. I won't own a pistol without at least 6 fully capable mags.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Yeah, I hear that - I'm sure I'll get more very soon. Just picked up an XDm 3.8 .45 Compact, so now I'm buying mags for two guns

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links