Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Taurus PT-709 Magazine Problems?

11K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  exxonv 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have been troubleshooting a magazine problem with my PT709. I was getting inconsistent feed and magazine drops. The magazines that came with the PT709 would come out when I fired the weapon, leading to a failure to chamber the next round, a tap rack would lead to a double feed. With one magazine, the magazine could come out on every round fired, the other came out once or twice per magazine load. This happened every time I visited the range, so I purchased two additional Taurus PT-709 factory magazines from MidwayUSA and took those out last night. When I fired Speer 124 grain or Federal 115 grain from those magazines, they remained in the pistol, and operation was flawless. When I tried the same loads in the magazines that came with the PT709, one ejected the magazine on every shot, the other twice during the magazine load.

I called Taurus this morning to see if I could get some help and was told it would be best to ship these two magazines back for replacement.

I’ve attached a picture showing one of the big differences between the magazines. The magazine on the LEFT is the newer MidwayUSA Taurus Factory Magazine, and the one on the RIGHT is one of the magazines that came with the pistol. The magazines from MidwayUSA came with a deeper groove on the side – you can really see it in this picture compared to the magazine that came with the pistol. In addition, the magazines that came with the PT709 do not drop free easily, but the two MidwayUSA purchased magazines fly out when I press the magazine release button. The magazines appear to have slight design differences to me. The groove channel (as you can see in the picture) is different. In addition, the place where the magazine release engages is smaller on the MidwayUSA magazine vs. the one that came with the pistol (on RIGHT). I’m not a gunsmith, but it would appear that the groove change results in a faster mag release and the smaller mag release area results in a magazine that remains engaged while firing.

Needless to say, I do not feel confident to carry this pistol (I am a conceal carry permit holder) with the magazines that came with the PT709. The magazines I purchased from MidwayUSA however provide flawless operation. I’m not sure if there was a manufacturing change for the magazines (though it sure looks that way in the picture).

Just an FYI to everyone who has a PT-709...

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I have no issues with my magazines dropping out either. One came with the gun and the other I bought from Buds Guns. The one from Buds was packaged in Taurus wrap and appears to be the same as the one with the gun. I have been shooting the Blazer Brass and the Federal Champion. I would suggest sending the two mags back, as suggested by Taurus, as they will replace them. In the meantime, you still have two and best case senerio - you end up with four good magazines.

#4 ·
I have four 709 mags; two came with pistol bought over a year ago; two received in the past 30 days from CheaperThanDirt. All look like your right hand picture and all work well. I have to 'slap' my mags in place firmly - when just pushing in you'll hear/feel a light 'click' - it won't pull out, but not completely engaged - push again and I hear a second solid 'click'. I'd takeTaurus up on the offer for replacements. Upon receipt I'd put a whole bunch of rounds down range - one hiccup of mag drop and 709 would be on trip to Miami.

#8 ·
I had the Ruger LC9 with the CTC grips, but sold it when I received the Taurus PT709 in trade (for a Taurus M94). The LC9 had issues when I received it as well - both sights came off the first two range trips (first rear, then front) and I had to send it back to Ruger... But the trigger reset on the LC9 was absolutely terrible... I had a Kel-Tec PF9 that would drop a mag once in awhile (with 124 grain Speer Gold Dots) - and that pistol had some nasty muzzle flip, but ran well enough - I just didn't care to shoot it much ;). The trigger reset was a little better than the LC9 too...

All-in-all, the Taurus shoots better for me, has a much, much better trigger and reset than any of the other single stack 9's I've owned or shot (Kel-Tec PF9, Ruger LC9, Kahr CM9), and (aside from the mag issue) is just as reliable. Can't beat the price either. Back to that trigger, I'm not sure what you guys think, but the PT709 trigger is exceptional to me. The only other trigger that comes close (from what I've seen) is the S&W Shield (if you can get one!). The Kahr CM9 is a great gun (accurate too), but the reset isn't great to me...

For me, the single stack 9mm is a quick run to the store (alone) weapon. If I'm w/my family, I'm carrying something with more than 7+1 these days... And I ALWAYS have the Ruger LCP in my pocket (CTC included) as a backup...

Thanks for all the comments!

http://www.anygunwilldo.com/calendar/Gun Control.pdf

#16 ·
Thanks! I usually try them factory and then clean'em, but I'll give it a shot first this time around Tommotto. RE: the lube john_bud, where did you hear it wasn't a good idea? I've been doing it for years myself (not to these mags, but to other mags) - especially my .22 LR Ruger and GSG 1911 mags... Is the dry lube bad, or the 100% silicone, or both? Thanks!

BTW, these mags (one on every shot, one every few) were flying out of the mag well while I was shooting. First it was 124 grain, then 115 (no +P), but the same mags from MidwayUSA were not coming out. Taurus did replace them, hopefully it was just a mag issue.

#17 ·
Actually it was on this forum where I was informed that the 100% silicone was known to build up and cause issues. I've
been using it for decades without any issue. I only use it where a sticky lube is contraindicated. Like inside mags, and
striker channels. Other dry lubes with teflon and not silicone are supposed to be better. I haven't really found the links that
show it being "horrible". But you never know. The stuff I use is food grade 100% silicone and it leaves a VERY thin coat that
provides slight lubricity, water repellant and it sheds dirt. You can probably tell, i still like the stuff ... but I am weening off
it. EEZOX is also used a lot by me.

In places where I want actual LUBRICATION, I use synthetic grease. Not gun grease, I use synthetic disc brake caliper grease.
It's great stuff and inexpensive . But like all greases, it will collect the dirt so it's only there until it's cleaned off and replaced.
A toothpick to spread some on the striker / sear interface, rails, barrel, spring and other heavy rub areas.

Not saying that's the best, or even great, it's just what I do.

#18 ·
Thanks - good to know. I've been using the dry silicone that I use w/my reloading setup (Hornady Lock-n-Load One Shot) for the magazines, and Hoppes #9f for the slide, etc. I did use gun grease in the past, but it gunks up way too much for me...

#19 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

FINALLY got a chance to try out the two new magazines from Taurus. I am happy to say that the pistol and magazines performed without a problem! This little gun is an awesome find, and now that I have four functional magazines, it is going to be a regular carry gun for those times when I need deep concealment.

I run several mags of 115 grain through today, and not only did it run great, I also found out how accurate this little gun can be at combat distances :)..

The low and high fliers were my fault - one was the first shot (low) to get the sight picture, and the second (high) was a trigger jerk! Seven shots into that target. Happy with the PT-709!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.