Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Taurus model 82 38spl 4 inch revolver surplus story

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Taurus model 82 38spl 4 inch revolver surplus story

Wanted to document this story in case it assists anyone else down the road as well as solicit comments. First, I proudly own a few Taurus Firearms and during my lifetime never had an issue. The quality of a Taurus rivals any other firearm on the market today. In fact, I wish I never traded my 917c, but that is a different story. I wanted to speak on the current saturation of the older Taurus model 82 4in .38 specials. Because of my excellent past experiences with Taurus I picked up one of these at a large local dealer with the expectations of using it as a trail gun. Yes, it was ugly as sin but hey, I wanted function not form. It locked up tight, cylinder cycled with snap-caps, and it seemed like a decent fit. I didn’t care that it was maybe 50% bluing and the rubber grips needed replacement as it was meant as a hiking/camping/rattler charmer. Being a Taurus, I assumed it fell under the life-time warranty and I also assumed being from the largest dealer in my area it was checked out before being placed for public sale…And here is where the drama occurs.
    I took the gun to the range to squeeze off a couple, but unfortunately that wasn’t the case. After each round it frozen up. It refused single and double action after firing one round. I had to swing open the cylinder, close it and it would fire one round then lock up again. Oh bother…

In my head I thought, “Oh man what a bummer, but no problem it’s a Taurus.” I called the hot line and spoke with the customer service rep. She said the serial number wasn’t in the system so it was probably an older gun and if they had parts for it they would fix it and if not for an additional $100 they would send a new model. AWESOME, or so I thought. She said the only issue is if someone altered the serial number since she couldn’t find it in the system. I told her, no it wasn’t altered, BUT, it does look like someone hand etched a V or U directly after the SN. The Taurus customer service rep then said if the gun techs believe the SN was altered they would simply send it to the ATF and I would be out be the gun as well as have ATF eyes in my direction. I told her this is how the gun was when I bought it from the local shop. She instructed me to work with the dealer. So off to the dealer I went.

The manager of the largest local shop agreed that when they sold me the Taurus they recorded the hand-etching as part of the serial number and bad mouthed Taurus customer service for a minute (probably just had a bad day.) He suggested if their gunsmith can’t fix it, they would work with Taurus. The manager also said he thinks Taurus might have added the extra letter since, under a microscope, it looks the same size/width/distance, just not machine stamped as the rest of the numbers. The gunsmith had something else to say though. After shooting it he thinks that the trigger is being bound up and that he believes the ATF added the extra letter as evidence. He stated that the shop doesn’t check each firearm they take in and only checks the person making the transaction.

Now I’m in a somewhat weird situation. The local shop is going to look at the firearm and see if they can fix it and I guess we go from there. I’m not happy at all that it appears I was sold a used firearm with an altered serial number that voided the Taurus warranty, as well as being sold to me untested. This isn’t good business. I’m hoping, in the end, that Taurus does accept the return, cannot fix it, and allows me to pick up a new piece at the discounted rate. I want to believe Taurus is truly customer service oriented and the quality they place into their products also is part of their customer dedication and company mantra. I want this to turn into a story which I can tell my friends why I am a loyal Taurus return customer and how I trust the company with my family’s life. I want to be a proud Taurus owner willing to brag about not only the Taurus product, but about how they care about me as a customer. Lastly, I want everyone to know, if you pick up one of these used firearms make sure you look at that serial number and if it’s been altered, move on.
    Last edited by mkatona; 07-07-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    It sounds like a problem that any gunsmith could easily fix. I don't know what the added "V" is all about, maybe added by the South American security company who used it?

Could be the hand(pawl) is hanging up on the ratchet teeth. Taurus isn't the best at fitting ratchet teeth, one of my 82's has issues with this. Could also be the forcing cone is too tight.

If Taurus could get past their bugaboo with the extra "V" on the serial number, I would take the new 82 for an extra $100 in a heartbeat. Given the fact that you probably paid $150-200 for the trade-in 82, that still puts you below retail for a NIB 82 that will probably actually work. Make sure there's no hidden shipping fees, like Taurus also asks for $80 to overnight ship to your FFL. In which case, it's not worth it.

I like Taurus guns, to an extent but there's a reason my Ruger revolvers are my "go to" guns. I have never had a Ruger bind up on me. One of my 82's develops a rougher DA pull as the gun heats up from shooting, if you believe that. I have run literally 1,000 rounds through a Ruger Service Six during one range trip with 0 issues, I do not know if one of my Taurus 82's could do the same.

None of my 4 Taurus revolvers functions perfectly, and I had to tweak all of them to make them good guns. I am only at the point now where I am able to enjoy shooting my two 82's, after a little bit of work on them. I would get one of the 82 trade-ins only if I could get a hands on with it first, and that's only because I collect PD and security trade in revolvers and these are a neat variation.
    Model 82 x 2 ,late 90's models DAO
    Model 80 ,1993 production
    Model 80 ,late 70's production
    Model M380, bought NIB
    Model 65, early 90's production

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I'm having the same problem with my 82. Taurus will not fix it under warranty because they are imports brought in by Century arms and not covered. So I have to bring it to a smith or get the parts I think need replacement.

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    I have the same problem with the gun and the same problem with the customer service. They will not replace or fix. I figured out whqt the problem is. The front part of the cylinder is worn out and the cylinder rubs against the frame (spelling). Pulling on the cylinder back allows to shoot the next shot. I do not know how to fix it though yet. Anyone with the same problem figured that out?

Thanks.
    Cheers,
    Mad

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Mine doesn't say imported by CIA at all. Taurus does realize this is going to hurt them in the long run right? I'm in the market now for a new firearm and two of them are Taurus, but honestly, while I never had problems in the past, I'm going to remove them from consideration.Thanks guys!

Member #
    Liked
    14322 times
    No offense intended, but did you at least function check and dry fire it "before" you bought it? If the cylinder is rubbing against the barrel's forcing cone (causing the binding) this would of showed up then.

At any rate, if that's the problem it's a fairly easy fix.

Either shiming the cylinder's end play, or flat filing the forcing cone a tiny bit will solve the problem by increasing the forcing cone gap thereby eliminating the "binding".
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    6379 times
    There's Taurus, and then there's Taurus USA. Taurus USA warranties the guns they make and import (generally marked with "Taurus USA"). If it's an older gun imported by say Interarms, or is imported through other channels, then the Taurus USA warranty does not cover squat.
    "I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MOONDAWG View Post
    No offense intended, but did you at least function check and dry fire it "before" you bought it?
    No Offense taken sir.. In my long drawn out boring story, it does say.. " ..It locked up tight, cylinder cycled with snap-caps, and it seemed like a decent fit. " .. .. It only happens after a live round.. It dry fires just fine.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    OH well, there ya go. Learn something new every day!

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I am thinking at this point, I would be going back to the dealer and suggesting we open up the trading table again. You have a situation that may or may not ever get resolved. Move on. The dealer may want to keep a customer happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links