Thread: pt 638 jamming

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

pt 638 jamming

hi i just bought a pt 638 .380 form academy for my girlfriend, every 3 or four rounds it misfeeds, wont chamber the next round, i have put about 100 rounds through it hopeing it would work it self out. also have used monarch and federal ammo, monarch seemed a little better, anyone else have this problem. any advise? thanks

Member #
    Liked
    1074 times
    Are you sure that she has a firm grip on it? Short pistols are notorious for "limp wristing" if not held firmly. I found out the hard way, too.
    Taurus PT-92, PT-908, PT-111Mil
    Taurus M-94 (2), M-96, M-605

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I was lucky to get my 638 new from Cabelas about a month ago. I had wanted one but found out they were discontinued. We went to look for another gun for my wife but I spotted it in the display case and grabbed it. The sales lady didn't even know it was discontinued until she went to 'get one from the back' and came back and said this one was the only one they had.

My initial experience with the gun jamming is as you described. Every 3 or 4 rounds it would fail to feed. I know it was not a limp wrist issue since half the time it would jam after a new mag was inserted and the slide was pulled back and released. I tried six different types of ammo with only barely noticeable improvement with some of the brands. I tried polishing the ramp which was noticeably rough. This cut the failure rate by half. Maybe tolerable for punching holes in paper but still completely unacceptable for a carry gun. Since it fails to chamber a round fairly consistently, I took some video of the process and studied it in slow motion. It appears to me that the round gets stripped off the top of the mag and tries to enter the chamber at a fairly steep angle. Any roughness on the ramp can impair it's progress or stop it altogether. Another issue seems to be that at that steep angle the bullet can get wedged by the extractor and not allow it to slide up the bolt face. A few thounsanths off the offending sharp edge of the extractor might cure it but I'm not a gunsmith and I hesitate to void the warranty if I guess wrong. I'll send my diagnosis to Taurus and will post what, if anything I get back from them. Name:  PICT0014.JPG
Views: 848
Size:  664.3 KB

Member #
    Liked
    2324 times
    Welcome aboard, and Greetings from DFW, Tx.

You didn't mention it in your post, but did you do a thorough cleaning before first fire?? Taurus really packs them with grease for the boat trip from Brazil. If you're sure it isn't a limp wrist issue, then cleaning (gun and mags) is probably the next culprit. I use Gun Scrubber spray to get in all the nooks and crannies, and do it twice. Especially since it has already been fired, it could really be 'baked' on now. Good luck with that, and please keep us posted. Happy Shootin' and Be Safe.
    a.k.a. 2LOGICL. While I do not enjoy the misery of others, I do find comfort in it.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Here's an update based on a call I had with the folks at Taurus regarding my PT638 shortly after my initial post several months ago: They are sending me a new magazine to 'fix' the problem. Although he failed to identify in detail what the issue was, he said there WAS a problem with the mags as they were initially designed and that the mag has been redesigned. He said they would send me one so I could confirm it fixed my problem. That was several months ago and still no updated mag has been received so I have nothing else to report. He did say at the time they were backed up and it was before the latest gun ban insanity and resulting hoarding so who knows when/if I'll get it. I plan to call them back and try to get them to tell me what change was made to the mag design. I was hesitant to make any mods to the gun but I've got access to a reasonably equipped machine shop and modifying the mag is a much less risky and expensive proposition if unsuccssful. It's very frustrating having an otherwise great little gun sidelined by what should be a simple fix.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I bought two 638's two months ago. Both failed to feed and eject. Polished ramp, didn't help. Sent them back to Taurus, they have returned one. They replaced the barrel, ejector, and magazine. Took to range today, fired flawlessly with all brands of ammo. My other pistol is being repaired, they have replaced the ejector. You have an ejector problem, this is common with this pistol. The only beef I have is how long it is taking to repair. I sent both pistols together, one was replaced after four weeks, the other has been with them six weeks now and they said it may be another couple weeks.

Links