Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

PT132 PRO chambering issues

My wife has a Taurus PT132 PRO Millenium .32 ACP. She has recently begun to shoot it quite frequently and we have stumbled upon an issue. The gun seems to have chambering issues. When loading a new magazine and pulling the slide back to chamber the first round, the slide gets stuck and about 1/4" of the round is visible. We have to assist the slide into proper position by pushing the slide forward to fully chamber the round. Sometimes while shooting, a cartridge will get jammed and it happens more than it should. Also, after the final round the slide does not lock into place everytime. We have tried several different types of ammo and have cleaned the gun meticulously. She has shot approximately 250 rounds through the gun. Any ideas????

Thanks in advance.

Dustin

Member #
    Liked
    2214 times
    The loading of a new mag could be from riding the slide forward rather than letting go, but if it is doing that when firing it sounds more like a weak recoil spring. Although it could be she is limp wristing it too. Check her stance and hold/grip and see if you can put her in a more stabile and firm position. I know many people who shoot competition are advocating the parallel thumbs 2 hand hold, but the locked thumb 2 hand hold is still a firmer hold.

The failure to lock the slide back on last round is probably a magazine issue. Does it do this with both mags or just one?
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and the cowards rule.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    It does it on both mags. Every once in awhile the slide will stay open after the last round has been fired.

Member #
    Liked
    2214 times
    Then I would write down every little issue you are having with the pistol and send it back to Taurus.
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and the cowards rule.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Try polishing the feed ramp if it hasn't been done already

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I was thinking about doing that, but have never done one. What's the best way to go about doing that?

Thanks.

Dustin

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16601 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    Then I would write down every little issue you are having with the pistol and send it back to Taurus.
    Yep...that's what I was going to suggest.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16601 times
    Does it do the same thing with you?

Member #
    Liked
    598 times
    32 ACPs are quirky, especially outside the single stack compacts. Being a semi-rimmed rather than a rimless cartridge, magazine design and cartridge stack in the magazine is everything. The magazine stack is designed to keep the rim out of the extractor groove of each cartridge underneath the next but magazine spring wear, decreasing magazine tension, can be quickly upset feed. The double stack PT132PRO complicates cartridge stacking further. In that you are shooting a new pistol, I doubt that there are any wear issues.

Not all 32 ACP ammo is the same. White Box and most of the stuff out there is pitiful, anemic at best. The PRO needs a bit of recoil energy to move that massive slide, for a 32 ACP, back to pickup the next round and to get back far enough for the last round lock. Keep in mind that the PT132PRO uses the same recoil spring as the PT111 (not PRO) and this spring is also used in the PT138PRO and PT745PRO! If it is good enough for the 745 (single stack 45 ACP), in reality, it is probably too heavy for a 32 ACP. What I see with cheap ammo is the round going into battery dragging on the round underneath and moving it slightly forward in the stack. As the slide picks this next round up it immediately tips forward creating the feed failure. This tends to happen as magazine stack tension lightens up a bit. Guessing, I would say somewhere between cartridge number 6 and 5. This said, I find perfect function with premium ammo (major brand self defense ammo) and my handloads. When developing my handloads, working from a starting pressure to a max pressure, I expect the low to mid pressure rounds to provide only mediocre feed and the slide not to lock back. Looking at your comments, I also feel that the return to battery issue you are experiencing is from low recoil energies produced by whatever ammo you are using.

You did not mention the ammo you are using but if I relied on store bought ammo for my 132PRO, the ammo I would shoot would be any of the four MagTech offerings. This ammo is consistent across the four bullet offerings; FMJ, JHP, Lead Round Nose, and Guardian Gold JHP, with actual performance equaling published performance plus the accuracy from my PRO is excellent. I would buy it by the case.

This is one pistol that I would think twice about sending back to Taurus. It is out of production and if it needs any model specific parts, it might be a while before you get it back. I just bought some spare parts from Taurus and they have are not receiving any spares from down south. I definitely would not send any magazines back as they have not have any in stock for over a year and will never have any in stock. This is real unfortunate as the PT132PRO is a very nice handgun. The magazine availability issue alone will drive this pistol to extinction. My plan is to buy the first reasonably priced PRO I see for parts and magazines. That should see me over the remained of my lifetime.

Does you wife have one of the few pink PT132PROs out there?
    Last edited by Ranch Dog; 02-13-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes her gun is pink. Ranch Dog, THANKS for all the good info. In a desperate need a year ago when ammo was almost extinct, we picked up some Aguila ammo made in Mexico. (Don't blast me for this!!!!) It was all I could find at the time and it is the most worthless ammo I have ever laid hands on. I tried some Remington brand and Winchester brand and still had a few issues, but not as many. Do you think I should look for aftermarket magazines? (Given that there are any out there?) I will certainly get some MagTech. Again, thanks for the insight.

Dustin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links