Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

PT 638 Jamming Issue?

Hello I recently purchased a PT638Pro at the local Gander Mtn
    I've just had it out twice to the range to shoot and both times I've used Federal .380 auto acp ammo -
    At first the gun works great, but after shooting 30-40 rounds or so the little area (shiny) that leads into the barrel from the chamber starts to have this issue. The bullet will get caught right there at that point and the slide will be sticking out a bit. If i push the slide forward on my own it will go the rest of the way in and it will fire. This does seem dangerous though and I shouldn't have to do that. I took the gun back to Gander and got what I felt was kind of a brushed off reaction. The guy there just said it was a common issue with .380s because of the stubby ammo. I've compared Federal (normal), Winchester, and some more expensive hollow points I have now - only the hollow points have more of a pointed tip and seem to go into the chamber better after firing. I have cleaned the gun thoroughly after each firing (especially this slide into the barrel area) and oiled everything normally.
    I've noticed there isn't a lot of review info out there on this gun. So I'm wondering if anyone here has seen anything like this? Is it really a common issue with .380s? Should I go back and try to exchange the gun? Should I send it off to Taurus. I really like the gun, but if it's really a common issue I'm probably going to go ahead and just get a 9mm.
    Thoughts?

update -
    I took the gun back to Gander today and had it sent off to Taurus. Here's a vid of what it was doing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6_2DFdaASs&list=UUQ0u3VUU2PPgGZW-tB6WKzg&index=1&feature=plcp

T
    he more I read online - comments on vids and reviews it would seem this issue is common on several of Taurus' .380s
    To me it just seems like a combo of 2 simple issues -
    1. the magazine doesn't quite lock in tight enough and far enough up into the chamber area
    2. the guide ramp for the bullet is too steep - they just need to make the bullet sit like 1/16" higher and it would slide in every time.
    This is turning out to be a real bummer for me. $430.00 for a "supposed to be" middle of the road gun. My friends all told me to buy a Glock - I'm thinking I should have just saved a little more and listened...
    Last edited by cpolly69; 01-02-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I don't have the 638 yet but it's on my list. I don't know if you've tried it yet but I've heard that a slight sanding of the feed ramp with 1000grit and a good polish sometimes works. Run your fingernail along the ridge where the ramp meets the chamber to see if there is a slight burr. Hope that helps.
    "Taurus is still one of the best kept secrets out there" Best Handguns
    PT 1911
    PT 909
    PT 24/7 Pro ODG 40S&W
    PT 24/7 OSS FDE 9mm
    PT 24/7 Pro G2 9mm
    PT 917C
    PT 809C
    PT 92
    PT 111 Mil Pro G2
    Stay Tuned

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kgillaspy View Post
    I don't have the 638 yet but it's on my list. I don't know if you've tried it yet but I've heard that a slight sanding of the feed ramp with 1000grit and a good polish sometimes works. Run your fingernail along the ridge where the ramp meets the chamber to see if there is a slight burr. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the advice - Yeah I had already checked that in the manner you describe and so did the guy at Gander Mtn. Oh well, I will probably have to try sanding the ramp when I get it back. Any good recommends for polish to use on it to keep it slick?

Member #
    Liked
    2324 times
    Don't worry too much about the friends telling you to buy a block, this is common with many weapons (especially .380s) from any manufacturer, not just Taurus. Besides, real friends don't let friends buy from Flim Flammers Mountain. Also, make sure you've cleaned the striker/firing pin channel very well of the packing 'grease' they ship with. If you can't disassemble it all, heavily spray Gun Scrubber through it, let it marinade, and spray some more. The sanding and polish is probably what Taurus is doing as we speak. You shouldn't need to specifically polish it to keep it 'slick', just normal clean and lube should be fine. On occasion you might want to try some Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish, but its not a regular requirement. Check YouTube for 'polishing feed ramp'. It'll probably show 1911's but the procedure is the same. Hope that helps. The 638 keeps moving up and down my shopping list, so please keep us posted.

P.S.
    Welcome aboard and Greetings from Ft Worth, Tx!
    Last edited by Zylo_X; 01-06-2012 at 08:09 AM.
    a.k.a. 2LOGICL. While I do not enjoy the misery of others, I do find comfort in it.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    ugh
    yeah def not happy with gander at this point -
    first I called Taurus customer service on Wednesday - gave them my serial and hoped they could talk to me about what's going on with my gun -
    they said yeah don't have it here
    so i call gander - they say "ah yeah i think it went out" this is 7 business days after i dropped it off with them -
    so they look at their records and they see it went out on the 4th - which is 2 full business days after i dropped it there - ugh - and somehow in 5 business days it hadn't made it's way to Taurus

Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    940 times
    First thing, GANDER does not have to ship overnight, special delivery to Taurus. Many times the gun is there but not checked into the system for a day or so.

Recently, some guns have been shipped back before the notice comes out that they were received in CS, and repair.
    ROBBY
    Board Of Directors KC3 http://www.kc3.com/index.html
    NRA Member, GOA Member, NAGR member

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    First thing, GANDER does not have to ship overnight, special delivery to Taurus. Many times the gun is there but not checked into the system for a day or so.

Recently, some guns have been shipped back before the notice comes out that they were received in CS, and repair.
    Yeah that doesn't really open up any opportunity to actually communicate with a customer about what kind of problem they are experiencing. I tell Gander stuff, no ones takes any notes, they send it off, Taurus puts it through some tests, they are supposed to just magically know what's wrong or the circumstances that create the problem, fix it, and send it back? It feels like taking a car to a mechanic and saying "it's broken", "well what's the issue?", then just kind of saying " i don't know" and leaving with hopes the will fix it...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Few things happened since the last time I posted -
    Taurus finally got the gun - like 2 weeks in - I called them while they had it and got some chick on the line that really didn't want to talk to me or tell me anything after waiting for 25 minutes on hold -
    I asked if when someone was actually going to take a look at the gun, if they could call me so I could talk to them about what's going on with it - She said "ah they test fire it here after they check it out - I asked how many rounds - she said "ah 20 or so" - I told that I frequently had the issue after 30+ rounds when shooting -
    No one called me
    A few days later Gander had the gun back and called me - 3 weeks turn around time for a brand new gun being check out..
    I shot it yesterday for the first time since I got it back -
    I will say although they don't seem to like to communicate, they must have done something to the gun - if that was grind down the feed ramp or what I do not know -
    The gun shot great - better then it ever has before - Over 150 rounds of 3 different types and not one issue -

I also picked this up recently and shot it for the first time yesterday as well -
    Mossberg 500 Tactical 12 Gauge Indoor Range 3" Slugger - YouTube

Member #
    Liked
    2324 times
    Glad to hear the good news. Taurus CS can be 'frustrating' but at least I try to remember that they generally mean well, and you had to deal with the extra layer of Gander's BS. Happy Shootin'!
    a.k.a. 2LOGICL. While I do not enjoy the misery of others, I do find comfort in it.

Member #
    Liked
    1038 times
    I like to take a Q-tip soaked in Hoppes and clean inside the mag lip where it meets the follower every time I clean my semi-autos. It evidently stopped jamming with my Bersa Thunder. I get a little carbon build-up, especially with steel ammo.

That could be more of a problem with blowback semis.
    Last edited by smithlock; 02-06-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links