Liked
    16 times
    I love this picture!

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    4960 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdbullet View Post
    1 idea, sell it and get a good Ruger lc9s or a smith and Wesson Shield. that will solve it.
    I don't suppose you read the test in Gun's and Ammo about compact 9's did you, Taurus beat them all and went past 4000 rounds.
    I may start keeping track of what brand of firearm I am asked to fix and how many I have fixed and post it up.
    It might surprise everyone.....................
    G8R8U2, WoodyUSSLUCE and 709dog like this.
    Know guns, know peace, know safety.
    No guns, no peace, no safety.

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    What about the weak recoil spring possibility mentioned earlier by LoudViking? Thanks for the post 709 and please keep us updated.
    709dog likes this.
    PT111 G2 2016 BB
    PT111 G2 2017 SS
    Slim 709 2017 BB
    S&W 640
    S&W 915
    Ruger Mini-14
    Remington 1100

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

CWB
    Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    21876 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 709dog View Post
    Update - Talked again to Taurus with concerns about turnaround time for repair and asked them to send me the part, They agreed now waiting for part. Anyone run into issues on installing new extractor in the 709 that I should watch for?
    709dog likes this.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

Member #
    Liked
    1638 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdbullet View Post
    1 idea, sell it and get a good Ruger lc9s or a smith and Wesson Shield. that will solve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by loudviking View Post
    I don't suppose you read the test in Gun's and Ammo about compact 9's did you, Taurus beat them all and went past 4000 rounds.
    I may start keeping track of what brand of firearm I am asked to fix and how many I have fixed and post it up.
    It might surprise everyone.....................
    Allow me...

Guns & Ammo’s Single Stack 9mm Shootout (Updated)
    by G&A Staff | July 27th, 2015

G&A surveyed the market for available offerings and pulled together our collective resources. We borrowed and/or purchased 10 single-stack, polymer-frame 9mm carry pistols costing less than $600 with a similar barrel length that measured between 3 and 31/2 inches.

In an effort to keep our results consistent, we reached out to Winchester for 8,000 rounds of its 147-grain Train & Defend loads. These two types of ammunition are performance matched, giving us a control by which to compare accuracy and reliability. The Train load features a full-metal-jacket (FMJ) bullet, and the Defend load carries a jacketed hollowpoint (JHP), so feeding both types of bullet-nose styles would aid in evaluating reliability.

Knowing that G&A’s result could be hotly contested, we photographed and cataloged every malfunction regardless of whether it was user induced or a problem experienced with the pistol.

Further, a “third man” was on hand and inserted into the shooting rotation. In addition to G&A Editor Eric Poole and Managing Editor Chris Mudgett, three full-time law enforcement officers joined this team to provide their perspectives and validate the execution and results of these tests.

Last, a videographer with multiple cameras captured the action. This video will be edited for length and made available to G&A readers at gunsandammo.com shortly after this issue appears on newsstands.

Each pistol was tested using only the elements supplied by the manufacturer, just as one would purchase it new. For example, if a pistol was supplied with one six-round magazine, that was the only mag loaded and reloaded during the entire test.

No pistol was lubricated or cleaned at any time. The very first 25 shots averaged three shooter’s five-shot groups from a 25-yard benchrest for accuracy at the beginning, and the same was done at the end of the 650-round testfire. We’ll let the data speak for itself.

The Guns: Beretta BU9 Nano, Glock 43, Kahr CM9, Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger LC9s Pro, SIG Sauer P290RS, Smith & Wesson M&P9 Shield, Springfield XDs 3.3, Taurus 709 SLIM, Walther PPS.

Get ready for this: The striker-fired Taurus 709 Slim proved to be this test’s best value. Why? Let’s start with MSRP: $302. This year, Taurus dropped the prices for several of its models, to include the 709 Slim. That means we’re likely to find one of these for about $270 across the counter at the local gun store. But a low price doesn’t necessarily mean “cheap.”

Frankly, some of us entered this test with a slight bias. By the end of the test, all of our opinions had radically changed. It’s unfair to judge the new Slim until you’ve actually shot one.

To start, the 709 Slim printed the single best five-shot group of this entire test – 1.18 inches at 25 yards – in the capable hands of Chris Mudgett. And it did so after it had fired 635 rounds without a malfunction. (Then it went far, far beyond and has yet to stutter.)

The Slim weighs 3 ounces over a pound and has a grip that points naturally and a single-action trigger that’s impressively crisp. Though it only comes with one flush-pad magazine, we grew to appreciate its bright-yellow follower, which clearly indicated its status in low light, visible through the ejection port. (All companies should follow Taurus’ lead on this.)

Keeping an open mind and evaluating the Slim in hand with nine other pistols of this class, we all – including the three police officers among us – concluded that its ergonomics and performance earned it a place on the list of everyone’s top pistols tested.

Beyond

At the completion of our initial performance test, several pistols moved on to shoot more than 650 rounds. Treating it as a final elimination stage, we agreed to run these pistols against the new Glock 43 to 1,000 rounds as long as there was no type of malfunction. This number is considered by many (particularly those in the law enforcement community) as the standard any duty gun must meet before they are willing to trust their lives to its reliability. Only three pistols made it: the Kahr CM-9, Taurus 709 Slim and Walther PPS. The CM-9 had an FTF on 763.

The road to 1,000 was quite a boring journey for the Glock 43, Taurus Slim and Walther PPS, which continued to run with five-minute breaks between strings of 100 rounds. All three evaluators rotated and pushed these pistols through several rapid-fire sessions at near-80-degree temperatures. After the 1,000-round mark was met, Eric Poole decided to push all three pistols through one final program he calls the “typewriter test.” This drill draws from different loads and bullet weights staggered in each magazine – usually leftover ammunition from other tests. Though all loads were of Winchester’s manufacture, the audible report heard through ear muffs is akin to a typewriter smacking paper. Springs and small parts must instantly react to the changing pressures resulting from different loads.

These last 50 rounds did nothing to affect the performance of these pistols. The Glock 43, Taurus 709 Slim and Walther PPS all successfully pushed to 1,050 rounds fired.

Guns & Ammo's Single Stack 9mm Shootout (Updated) - Guns & Ammo

Victoria Faveat Paratam
    Ethos Anthropos Daimon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links