Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Taurus PT1911 vs Brand X 1911

It would seem to me that the Taurus 1911 has been a hot topic as of late. I would like to throw my hat in the arena on this subject.

This past sunday I got to go down to Harrisburg, P.A. to attend the gun show at the farm show complex. It is huge and very overwhelming. Anyway, I got a chance to check out some of the pieces on my wish list. The PT1911 being one amongst them. Since Taurus raised their prices this year, I was hard press to find one for under $449. I had the opportunity to try one out. It felt solidly built and was comfortable in my medium size hands. I like that it come with 2 mags and I love the blued finish. Now to start saving the cash.

So, here is my question. What is the real difference between a PT1911 vs. it's competitors? What would a Smith & Wesson, Kimber, Colt, Springfield 1911 etc give me that a Taurus could not do adequately? For me, as I always say, "The value is in the use and not how it depreciates".

In all honesty there are tree guns I would like to (try) and get for this year. The first being a Ruger P345, I've past up on this one too many times. The Taurus PT1911 and the Henry Golden Boy lever action in .44 magnum. I originally wanted a PT909, but that one is really hard to find, plus I already have two 9mm. Maybe next year.

Last Question. Would anyone think it prudent if I just traded in a Ruger P89 towards the purchase of the 1911? Here is a brief synopsis on it. The P89 was my very first gun, ever. I carried it for a short while until I bought the PT111 mil pro (2nd gen). I then traded it up for my current CCW the PT145 mil pro (also, 2nd gen), and at the risk of sounding redundant, I then recently picked up a 3rd gen PT111. So basically the P89 comes out once in a while for target practice, but generally stays in the safe.
    Team Roster:
    Taurus PT1911B, PT92 AF (Finally fixed), 85ss, 94b, Beretta M9 (USA), Smith & Wesson 1911PD Commander, SS Colt XSE Government, Mossberg 500, Marlin 336A, Henry HOO1 and a Savage Mark II

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Taurus PT1911 vs Brand X 1911

I'll comment on the last question. I would hang onto the P89, since it's your "first ever" gun. Down the road, you will wish you had held onto it. It's a nostalgia thing. I know that I am VERY loathe to let go of my first.

Powder smoke: The smell of FREEDOM

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    46 times

Since it sounds like you don't really NEED the 1911 (however, you really really want one) I'd say to keep that P89. I have a soft spot for the Ruger P-series guns as a P89DC was my first pistol and I later had a KP95DC. One of these days I will get another one just for playing with on the range.

And it gives you a totally reliable pistol (assuming off of Ruger's rep and quality mags) sitting in the safe if needed. I'm not trying to insult anything else you own, just that the gun is a know quantity, why trade it off?

Steelheart
    USCCA, NRA & GOA member http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Two suggestions:

Get the PT1911, you won't be disappointed and there is not a better value out there.

Never sell a gun that works well unless you just hate it, you will regret it later.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2421 times

Quote Originally Posted by schlemer
    I originally wanted a PT909, but that one is really hard to find, plus I already have two 9mm. Maybe next year.
    The PT909 is now discontinued and the only new ones available may still be on the distributors or Gunshop shelves. If still there, they won't last long. The Aluminum Framed PT909 has been replaced by the Poly Framed PT809.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by jwc007
    The PT909 is now discontinued and the only new ones available may still be on the distributors or Gunshop shelves. If still there, they won't last long. The Aluminum Framed PT909 has been replaced by the Poly Framed PT809.
    ARRRG!!! That really sucks! Thanks for the info.

Since it sounds like you don't really NEED the 1911 (however, you really really want one) I'd say to keep that P89. I have a soft spot for the Ruger P-series guns
    - Steelheart

Of course I don't really neeeeeeed it, but life's too short and I'm not getting any younger and I ain't going to Tahiti any time soon

That said, I also have a soft spot for Rugers (pistols and revolvers). I'll most likely take the advice.

Still, I haven't gotten an answer to the differences between other 1911s and the Taurus. This would really help me as a future reference.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Team Roster:
    Taurus PT1911B, PT92 AF (Finally fixed), 85ss, 94b, Beretta M9 (USA), Smith & Wesson 1911PD Commander, SS Colt XSE Government, Mossberg 500, Marlin 336A, Henry HOO1 and a Savage Mark II

Member #
    Liked
    5203 times

Yo, Schlemer....

I am far from being a 1911 expert. Very far from it. But, after reading ALL the reports
    on the PT1911 since last year, I believe that the only REAL difference between the
    PT1911 & the other brands you mentioned, is the price!!

The only thing that the other brands you mentioned can do that the PT1911 (so far)
    is unable to do, is to take more money out of your pocket! For the PT1911, the accuracy
    is there, the quality is there. I myself, am still waiting on the stainless version of the Taurus
    PT1911. Basically, that is the only reason I don't yet have one.

That's just my dos centavos. There are people here that have forgotten more about the
    1911's than I'll ever know. All that being said, I DO have one 1911 pistol. It's a Charles Daly.
    Very accurate pistol, it is. But, I still have my heart set on a stainless version of the Taurus
    1911; & I'm still waiting. Now, if by some chance, they decide not to produce the stainless
    version, then I'll break down & get a blued version. Either way, I WILL have one!

Oh yeah, the only thing that the competitors would give you, I believe, is a more expensive
    pistol. Not a better pistol, but a more expensive one!

The first sign of intelligence is admitting one's ignorance!
    Stay safe & aim true, from your humble servant..
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, & I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people; & I require the same from them.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in The Shootist

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Thanks locknload, that was the direction I was looking for. So, in your opinion you don't think that there is a bit of refinement on lets say for example a Kimber 1911? Would rigger pull be different? Is there a real difference in the finish? etc.

To be honest, when I held the PT1911, I really liked it. I really don't think I will change my mind in the near future. You see, I really try to make my decisions based on the best price. I was told however, to stay away from Rock River Arms from a few people (I wonder why?). I've also been encouraged to "buy American", but until Ruger comes out with a neat compact like the Millennium Pro, Taurus will get my business, plus I feel like they've given back by opening up a facility in Miami.

S&W is too pricey as well as Kimber. They are to fancy and elegant for my taste. Walthers look really cool as well as CZs, but if price were not an issue, they would be in the stable along with some Berettas.

Anyway, the topic responses are great.

Mike
    Team Roster:

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I'm guessing they meant Rock Island not Rock River. The RRA is a pretty pricey gun and has a great rep., although the RIA is put down mostly for it's price and being Phillipino made (I think) everyone I know that has one is very happy with it for $305 in a basic GI model.

I checked out Kimber, S&W and Springfield when I was looking. On their "lower end guns" (under $1K) the fit seems about the same (if not inferior on some models), unfortunately the one downfall of the Taurus is the finish. It appears to be inferior even to the Rock Island, very easy to scratch and looks like it will wear poorly.

Doesn't bother me. I can have it refinished any way I want and still be under the price of a comparable 1911.

As far as the trigger, I am by no means an expert but it appeared to be as good or slightly better than the Kimber or SA "loaded" models and better than the GI or Milspec models. I do know that it is by far the best trigger I have on any gun with the possible exception of my 1st gen Colt Single Action Army.

Ideally I would have waited for the stainless model myself, but I got antsy and heard rumors of them never producing it in SS, in the long run I'm glad as I got my PT1911 at a great price and now I know I love it so I may get a SS model too if they ever surface.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I'm guessing they meant Rock Island not Rock River.
    Thank you, yes that is what I meant. I wasn't really sure when I posted.

Mike
    Team Roster:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links