Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Complete disassembly / reassembly

Member #
    Liked
    381 times

Complete disassembly / reassembly

Well, after many hundreds of rounds down the pipe of my PT1911AR, I finally worked up the nerve to do a complete strip, clean, lube, and reassemble. I was a bit anxious going into it, thinking I might end up with a box of parts headed to a smith, but after several undisturbed hours, I got ‘er done.

All the safety and functional tests pass, so the next step is to get it to the range for a proper test. And now that I know my way around the insides, I promise not to let it get so dirty again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    stallard likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves." Ronald Reagan, July 1975

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”
    ― Ronald Reagan

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5928 times
    Good for you! I haven't ventured that far yet! One of these days I will get daring too. My biggest adventure has been to replace the extractor, that's it. Well of course field strip for general cleaning.

Member #
    Liked
    5733 times
    a detailed strip of a 1911 is important to know so that you can understand the inner workings of the pistol. This helps when you have issues with reliability as dirt and grime hide in the oddest places. Test that by firing a box of Tulammo right after you do your reassembly and tear it down again. that will show you where the gunk likes to hide.
    BMC and RichO like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5134 times
    I just did the samz thing with my PT-945.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
    "I do not believe in using women in combat, because females are too fierce." - Margaret Mead
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Sand Lake Texas 2014
    Milford Hills Wisconsin 2014

Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Glad all the test passed. One thing that I learned and use every time after taking mine apart is to do a pencil test to make sure the 80 series safety is working properly. Make sure the gun is unloaded put the pencil down the barrel eraser side down barrel first. Aim the gun towards the celling and pull the trigger (it does have to be cocked) the pecil should fly out of the pistol almost to the celling. If it doesn't the gun is probably not going to work at the range. Just a simple good way to check and make sure it is completely assymbled correct.
    RichO likes this.
    1960's Rossi Model 62
    1955 Marlin 39A Golden Mountie
    Marlin Model 60
    1933 Remington 12C
    2013 Glock 26
    2014 Rossi 92 .357
    2008 Ruger 10/22 Talo
    2014 Non Ruger 10/22 (MOA build)
    1965 Remington 540X
    Springfield 1911 Loaded SS
    1992 Taurus PT92
    Smith&Wesson BG380
    Smith&Wesson 686 SS

Member #
    Liked
    2704 times
    Good job and congrats on getting it all back together. It always seems to me that the disassemble is easier than the reassembly. You were not kidding - it really does look dirty in the picture!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2581 times
    After the first time, it becomes much easier and quicker to do a full takedown, although, those series 80 parts will always be a
    pain....especially if, like me, you have fat fingers.
    The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who
    are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. ~ Samuel Adams

Member #
    Liked
    6473 times
    SO how lucky were you with yours?
    by that i mean how many extra parts did they put in yours?
    a couple of my 1911's only had 1 or 2 extra parts but some had 3 -4 extra parts !
    its amazing to me that none of them extra parts fell out while i was shooting them?
    I saved all the extras and when i get enough i am going to try to build a complete 1911 from what i got in the shoe box.-----
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Zylo_X likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2581 times
    Grandpa always said, " 'Tis better to end up a few parts extra, than to be a few too short". Grandpa had a lot of shoe boxes.
    The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who
    are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. ~ Samuel Adams

Member #
    Liked
    381 times
    No extra parts or "packing bolts" as I sometimes call the leftovers.

After manually checking the safeties and action, I did the pencil test. Shot the pencil across the living room! Still need to get to the range. Soon.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves." Ronald Reagan, July 1975

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”
    ― Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links