Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Taurus 1911AL vs. Ruger SR1911...what would you choose?

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I know you have already bought the Taurus, but since I have both the PT 1911 and SR1911 I thought you might like to know my experience.

I decided to look for a 1911 to play the Wild Bunch shooting game a couple years ago and because Ruger did not make a 1911 at the time I eventually ended up with a stainles PT 1911. This was my first 1911 and I am pretty sure the problems I had the first couple times out with it were the ammo and not the gun. I shot a couple matches and was satisfied with the Taurus, but then Ruger came out with the SR1911 and I love my Rugers, so I set out to find one. It took about 1 1/2 months for my local gun shop to get one in (my name was first on his list). I paid $20 more for the Ruger than I paid for the Taurus, both brand new in the box.

The next shoot I took both guns and shot one stage with the Taurus and the next with the Ruger. We shot 6 stages, so 3 with each. At the end of the day I liked the Ruger better. On my two guns the Ruger has the better trigger and seemed to overall, operate smoother. I have shot several more matches with the Ruger and have all but decided to sell the Taurus. I have done nothing to either gun, except change grips. I do know the Taurus has what is refered to as a series 80 firing pin saftey and the Ruger does not.

If you ever get the chance to shoot an SR1911, take your Taurus along and see which one you like better.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    i THINK the srs 80 firing pin, means it has a firing pin safety...not 100% sure though.

edit: so after some research, it sounds like some trivial differences between the 70 and 80 series 1911's, with the main one being, that 80 series frames have a potentially faulty half cock hammer system, which would break, and allow the fun to fire if the half-cock fails.

http://www.ehow.com/list_7362522_dif...ries-1911.html
    Last edited by ECpackers; 08-23-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    4866 times
    MMM?? not sure what you are saying here?
    the original half cock notch on a traditional 1911(series 70) was exactly to prevent the hammer from falling and striking the firing pin if it was dropped, struck,etc and the hammer was cocked (as ) in cocked and locked.?
    the purpose was to actually catch the hammer fall before hitting the firing pin.
    the half cock notch to my knowledge still is there for that purpose?
    the firing pin safety (series 80) is an additional safety system that improves on this thought by phisicallly blocking the movement of the firing pin forward (IF struck by the hammer) unless the trigger is held rearward during this cycle.
    so the half cock works with the hammer, the series 80 works with the firing pin.
    a modern series 80 has a grip safety, a half cock notch, a thumb safety, and a firing pin block safety.
    perhaps that was what you were saying and i didn't understand?
    oso likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7289 times
    Great information and education...Thank you,
    A Dead Skunk smells no better than a Live Skunk........Sometimes things plain out right STINK!!!!!!.

Only a few hours @ Sandy Lake, but a Life Time of Memories with friends!!!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I like the PT1911, but it does have a few drawbacks; 80-series safety being the biggie. The Ruger, well, it plain looks ugly. Ugly - yes I said it, ugly. The mix/match of blue/stainless parts on the gun gives it the appearance of a cobbled together 1911 using a collection of parts from other 1911's. Also, the finish of the SR1911's I've seen (and I've seen and field stripped a few) leaves a lot to be desired, with many visible machining marks around the trigger guard and under the slide. I'd say it is a good $500 1911, but at $700+, there are many better 1911's out there (Springfield comes to mind). For around $500 an Umarex R200S is a nice gun - albeit with a 80-series safety and a lousy Taiwan magazine, but nice for the price. Taurus PT1911 with the 80-series safety removed is a real nice 1911 for the money. If you are okay with a partial 80-series safety, the Kimber low end stainless 1911's are nice and comparable in price to the Ruger SR1911. The PT1911 in my opinion is one of the better (maybe best) Taurus guns built; nice finish, nice trigger, nice sights, reliable, and easy on the pocketbook. Okay, time for me to shut up and get to bed.
    Proud owner of the following Taurus pistols:
    • PT-99, PT-1911 SS Bulls Head + 50 or so other pistols

Member #
    Liked
    4866 times
    well a bit off topic wandering here, and i really hate to do that!
    But if comparing different 1911's to the fray!
    The very best tooling/finishing of any of my 1911's is the Para USA G I Expert, its simply a work of beauty inside and out, next is my Colt Government Combat Elite, but then some 6-700 bucks difference in the price of the two guns as well.
    Never had a Ruger 1911 apart, have shot a few and for me they are well acceptable weapons.
    I just get lost in all this series 70- series 80 debate??
    I honestly can tell no difference in the trigger quality of either, and i have a few of each.
    My best trigger is a PT1911 SS (series 80), my Worse a Rock Island Armory "tactical", or it was before I gave it a re-do. (series 70) and it was not really a bad trigger, just not up to snuff with most of my others.
    maybe others can tell a big difference in 70-80 series , I can't?
    Last edited by olfarhors; 08-30-2012 at 10:36 AM.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2298 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    ...maybe others can tell a big difference in 70-80 series , I can't?
    I agree. I don't have the most sensitive trigger finger around, but having shot both, on a number of 1911's, I can't recall
    feeling any issues that could be blamed on the series 80 components. I suppose that through neglect or improper gun care,
    the firing pin block channel could get gummed up and cause issues?

I admit, even after I decided on and bought the PT1911, I was a bit turned off about the series 80 parts and had every intention
    of picking up a conversion shim, but I now find that I actually like that extra little bit of safety the series 80 offers (especially after
    an issue I had with my ccw holster occasionally disengaging my thumb safety). The series 80 parts can be a bit of a headache to
    reassemble until you get used to them, and if I'm not paying attention, the FPB lever likes to sneak up when I go to replace the slide.
    Other than that, the series 70 v. series 80 won't even be a consideration in choosing my next 1911(s).

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference,
    they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    ~ George Washinton

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
    ~Plato

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I have had a Taurus 1911AL and regret letting it go, but I would take an American made gun over a Taurus anyday, especially a Ruger.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I have a sr1911, a sa 1911-a1 and a sig scorpion...i say...any 1911 is a good 1911

Member #
    Liked
    4866 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tacticalfun View Post
    I have a sr1911, a sa 1911-a1 and a sig scorpion...i say...any 1911 is a good 1911
    SO!! This American, this Brazilian, and this German walks into a bar and theres this Beretta standing at the bar-----LOL

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links