Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: review 1911

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

review 1911

check out this guys review of the taruus 1911.wait till you see what he says about other taurus models.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: review 1911

that was a pretty professional review i'd say.

"99.9% of Taurus handguns are sh!t" that must be why you ran out & bought one of your own!

judging by his other videos, i wouldn't put too much stock in anything he has to say. he's even worse than the typical 1911, AR15, and Glock leghumper IMO.

edit: i'm not saying any of this because i have a special love for the Taurus 1911, in fact i think they are one of Tauruses cheapest feeling products. for the money i'd pick Rock Island Armory's 1911's long before Taurus.

Member #
    Liked
    5535 times

As a side note Massad Ayoob has the new 'Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery' and 'Harris Outdoor Group Presnets- The Complete Book of Handguns' out now.

In these he has the facts that the PT1911 is being used by professionals for defense,who it is, PT1911 are at IDPA competitions more than ever, and articles that laud the PT1911.

He and other gun writer instructors are giving the PT1911 high marks,seeing them come through classes and holding up well through those high round count classes.

Reliability, very good accuracy, durability,good ergonomics, user friendliness, and factory extras that can be found normally on the 'higher priced spread' 1911 guns were cited by the authors of the articles.

So there is positive feedback from the working professionals on this. This despite Internet Commandos and their ilk.

The supposed problems that many have criticized or have heaped abuse upon this model have not been seen by the professional public. Not just the gun writers. That point was driven home by the fact that those who have used PT1911s as working guns have not had the problems others have coem up with.

Not to say that all is strawberries and cream. As with any mechanical contrivance things can happen or go wrong at times.

However things have taken a positive turn.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10444 times

Mas Ayoob reviewed the 1911 in Combat Handguns and gave it 2 thumbs up. He thought it was a well put together tackdriver with the right ammo. OlsenG360, I don't own a 1911, I've never owned one, but I'm just not sure where you are coming from on this......I haven't seen one bad review of the gun.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

I own that Complete Book of Handguns and the article by Ayoob was very insightful. Combined with reviews I have read here about the PT-1911 I am glad I purchased it. No regrets whatsoever.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy
    Mas Ayoob reviewed the 1911 in Combat Handguns and gave it 2 thumbs up. He thought it was a well put together tackdriver with the right ammo. OlsenG360, I don't own a 1911, I've never owned one, but I'm just not sure where you are coming from on this......I haven't seen one bad review of the gun.
    i haven' seen any bad reviews on the Taurus 1911 either, but from holding & taking several 1911's apart side by side the Taurus doesn't come out on top, even in it's price range. It just has a really cheap look & feel to it compared to some others. It's just a personal preference.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by OlsenG_360
    i haven' seen any bad reviews on the Taurus 1911 either, but from holding & taking several 1911's apart side by side the Taurus doesn't come out on top, even in it's price range. It just has a really cheap look & feel to it compared to some others. It's just a personal preference.
    $20 for Hogues changed the "feel" positively in mine. I can come up with several reasons why I do and do not like the Heine sights. When it comes to the important part, performance, I've been very pleased. No mechanical problems and darned accurate. I haven't quite figured out what I get for 2-3 times the price of a PT1911B in the "better" 1911's. Doesn't seem to be accuracy and reliability and I'm way past the point I have to impress anyone with a name tag.

The review was interesting. First the PT1911 is the only Taurus he likes. The other 99.9% is based on his personal experience or word of mouth? I keep hearing how bad Taurus models are, but almost never find anyone who actually owned one giving the bad reports. Second, he modifies the grip base and then complains about the terrible mags not fitting an extension they weren't made to fit. Fair review, but not very compelling.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10444 times

Hold on - I've got to know what you mean by that - what exactly do you see that is sub-par or bad when you field strip a Taurus and another 1911 side by side? Exactly what parts are sub-standard in the Taurus that are not in the other 1911? And exactly which other 1911 are you using for this insightful comparison? Do you have any pictures of the side-by-side comparison you can post to elaborate on your points?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to your next post.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

I don't understand the feel compared to others??

Doesn't the feel come from the grips anyway? or is it in ones mind that I am paying a lot of money for a pistol so it must feel better than others?

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

"Feel" can mean anything you want: grips, weight, balance, ease of lining up the sites...

My PT1911 holds more comfortably with Hogue wraparounds than the grips that came with the pistol. I happen to like Hogues. It could well be if I bought one of the high-dollar 1911's, I'd improve the "feel" with Hogues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links