Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stallard

Thread: does an sti trigger automatically reduce trigger pull?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

does an sti trigger automatically reduce trigger pull?

Hello there. My thinking is that I will need to get a different sear,sear spring and hammer rated at 4lbs to reduce trigger pull in my pt1911ss ar. But I have been reading that some people say that an sti trigger will reduce pull automatically by itself by 1-2 lbs. I have been looking at buying a cylinder-slide 4lbs hammer and sear set, when I get the sti trigger I don't want the pull to be at 2lbs or anything because I carry this gun. any info would be appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    1409 times
    First, welcome to the forum!

The trigger just pushes the sear, it does not affect trigger pull weight unless it ill fitted and dragging on the frame. Some people also think a flat trigger feels a little lighter but it still does not affect the true weight.

2lbs is about the minimum you will see on a 1911, any less and you will risk hammer follow and going uncontrolled full auto (Not a good or safe thing) and getting one that low takes top end parts and a very good gunsmith. For carry most want the trigger in the 3.5lb-5lb range. A good gunsmith can get that with the parts in your PT1911. For do it yourself I would recommend a Wolff spring set to do it on the cheap Springs for COLT 1911 GOV'T PISTOL Semi-Auto Pistols, you will want a reduced power hammer spring and a sear spring. Stock is 23lbs and for reliable ignition I would not go under 18lbs but the spring set will not help trigger creep or take up.
    If you are willing to spend some $$ you can get a full hammer set, which will replace most internals and are sold by what weight you want. I have had great luck with Cylinder and Slide, 1911 Hammer Sets, Note they do not include the trigger. I have a Ultra Light Speed II 3lb kit in my PT1911, it was almost completely drop in, very crisp and is just under 3lbs. Only hand fitting was to replace the thumb safety, which is pretty standard when you replace the sear, as that is what the safety fits against.

Most will agree that having your trigger very crisp (no take up, creep or over travel) is more important than it being real light.
    olfarhors likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Appreciate the info man, that is exactly what I needed to know. I just didn't want to buy the cylinder and slide 4lb kit and have my trigger pull wind up at 2lbs when I have the sti trigger added.btw. thanks for the warm welcome

Member #
    Liked
    337 times
    stallard, you believe that your stock PT 1911 main spring is 23#?

cuban

Member #
    Liked
    1409 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cuban View Post
    stallard, you believe that your stock PT 1911 main spring is 23#?

cuban
    23# is typical for a 1911 but without a way to measure it I can't say for sure what was in my PT1911. I compared it to a 23# Wolff spring, it looks and feels pretty close. The wire is slightly smaller on the Taurus spring so it may be in the 20#-22# range.

Member #
    Liked
    337 times
    Stallard, I called Taurus costumer service and asked them what the recoil and main spring was and they told me that they were not sure so I asked to talk to a supervisor and I spoke to a very courteous gentleman named Christian @ ext 238 and he told me that the recoil that came on the PT 1911 was 16# but that he did not have the information concerning the main spring, but that if I would give him a phone number he would call me back after he got in touch with a tech in Brazil, less then two days later I got a call from him which surprised me and he said that the tech had gotten back with him and informed him that the Main Spring on the PT 1911 was 17.5 lb, I questioned him if he had herd correct and he assured me that he had filed the information because that was something they should be able to provide a costumer, so with out me actually talking to the tech my self I'm going to have to take his word for it.

I know that when i changed out my stock main spring for a wolf 23# main spring I noticed quit a bit of difference in hammer pull and the 23# main spring was so thick that it was pretty hard to slip in the plungers in, i always thought from feel alone that the stock spring was 19# thats why I question Christian at Taurus and asked if he had herd correctly, right after that I started a thread on this forum concerning the stock main spring weight i think i titled it (mystery solved Pt 1911 main spring weight) i think one of the moderator said that I should post the information as a sticky.

Cuban
    Last edited by cuban; 01-08-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1409 times
    Wow,

That is very light for a production hammer spring. Most manufacturers put in a stiffer spring to make sure they get reliable ignition. I know my PT1911 (Bought in 2010) came with a much stiffer spring. Mine is my project gun and before installing my C&S kit I worked on the stock parts. My stock trigger pull was 5.5lbs, I first put in a 18# Wolff spring and it dropped the pull to 4.5#.

That has me thinking though, so I pulled out my stock spring, the one that came with the C&S kit, and a 18# Wolff spring. The C&S and wolff are both 2.125" long, Taurus is 1.190". Wire size is, C&S .037, Wolff 18# .037 and Taurus is .041. Also the Taurus spring is black and kind of wavy, were as the Wolff and C&S are shiny silver and look uniform. I feel that C&S uses Wolff springs, as to the Taurus, mine may be what they call 17.5# but it's stiffer that a 18# wolff.

Member #
    Liked
    20224 times
    Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state.

Glad you got a quick answer to question.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    337 times
    Stallard, you know just on feel alone my 2008 model PT 1911 felt stiffer than 17.5 thats why I question Christian at Taurus, but giving it some thought he got the information from the tech in Brazil in July 2011, I wounder if they've change to the 17.5, because lately I've read thread concerning light primer strikes which I've always figured the culprit was the cosmolin grease packed in the channel, who knows all I do know is that I changed my spring for a 23# wolf spring which brought my trigger pull up from the factory 3.5# to a 4.25# which is fine for a HD, Range gun. I haven't changed any of the fire controls there all stock MIM and are on their 15K rounds with out any failures, with the exception to having to resurface my sear because of hammer fallow after I changed to the 23#spring, a little tweaking of the sear spring and all is good.

Cuban

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links