My review and pics of EKF Dual Action Recoil Spring & Compensator
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: My review and pics of EKF Dual Action Recoil Spring & Compensator

Member #
    Liked
    1885 times

My review and pics of EKF Dual Action Recoil Spring & Compensator

Recently I got the bug to play with some "enhancements" to my PT1911, and at a recent gun show ran into the guys from EFK Fire Dragon. I had seen their compensator online, but didn't realize they are local here in the Phoenix area. I hadn't really considered a compensator, but seeing them on a couple of their 1911's I got talked into one. They also convinced me to try their Frame Saver Dual Action Recoil Spring, a two stage guide rod that has a spring inside. The stock outer recoil spring works as usual for the first part of the slide movement, but past the point of brass ejection, the inner spring keeps the slide from banging back against the frame. Instead of a 1/8" thick traditional recoil buffer, the inner spring really cushions the rear travel and greatly reduces felt recoil.

I am so glad I tried these! The one thing I regret after range session was not taking the time to test them separately - working together, the guide rod and compensator made my .45ACP PT1911 feel like a 9mm!

Of course I was also concerned about any effect on accuracy since the compensator replaces the barrel bushing, but the fit was just about perfect. I was told I might need to open up the compensator a bit with 400 grit sandpaper, but mine fit well right out of the box, and accuracy was not affected at all - it still shoots much better than I do. The only fitting required was a little filing on the compensator lug to get it to lock in.

Overall, I am VERY happy with these additions and would highly recommend them. EFK Fire dragon also makes a dual action spring/rod for the PT92 and Beretta, as well as several other brands.

For more pics and descriptions of my other additions - http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/ta...s-here-31.html

@olfarhors - I just read your post on that thread, and I agree - never been a fan of compensators, but I'm real happy with this one.

And just for fun I photoshopped my idea for slide cutouts to match the compensator...

Member #
    Liked
    5723 times
    That compensator really does look good on there, I can't lie. I'm interested on the spring system though, there are some things i'll be looking for when I buy a 1911.
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    648 times
    I have been thinking about doing some of the mods you have done, sweet looking piece Sir
    U.S ARMY/NATIONAL GUARD VET RETIRED In a man to man fight the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine. ERWIN ROMMEL May god have mercy upon my enemies because I wont. GEORGE PATTON

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2126 times
    Beautiful piece. Congrats!

Member #
    Liked
    317 times
    Looks good, dress 'em up dress 'em down, just don't forget to shoot 'em. 1911's are the GI Joe's I used to play with all grown up.

Nice looking firearm you got there!
    OEF Veteran and Cornfed Iowa Boy
    PT1911ss
    Gen 4 Glock 17/19
    DPMS AP4

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26329 times
    Yes, indeed!

It is evermore one fine-looking firearm.

Millennium G2 PT111

Proudly Served
    US Army / Army Reserve / Mississippi State Guard

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VTB_Gunner View Post

And just for fun I photoshopped my idea for slide cutouts to match the compensator...

You NEED to do this. Maybe add some ports on the barrel under the cut outs.

Member #
    Liked
    1885 times
    @offroader1006 - I'm waiting for compensator manf. to give me a price, I guess even though it would be matching the comp, it will require complete new set up on the cnc...also thinking that I'm not sure I would want my slide to be the "Guinea pig" If it does end up being doable, I will have the barrel jeweled.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Don't buy Taurus... by the time you custom tune your weapon too shot where you point it... you'll spend enough to have purchased a Wilson Combat or Kimber ... which do all the things you need right out of the box. I have had nothing but a nightmare since getting my PT1911SS... right out of the box using Remington and Blazer ammo, it would not hold 4 inch groups at 10meters, in addition it shoots low left and randomly threw rounds.. The custom air fitting of the barrel bushing and barrel must have been done by a Drunk... and the barrel shows excessive rattling, with the slide locked back... Don't even attempt to adjust the Novak rear sight it is frozen in place with lock-tite... it will take a special sight tool to move it even after heating it remained stubborn. If you want to purchase a weapon don't do it by mail order... you may get stuck with a lemon... I apparently did. P/S I have over 40ys experience using the M1911A1 and am a retired military officer who has qualified expert with the 45 on many occasions... It is not my marksmanship skills causing the problems.

Member #
    Liked
    28124 times
    Go fer it dude.....
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links