Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Taurus 1911 compared to other mid priced 1911's??

Member #
    Liked
    5527 times
    It seems that PT1911s come with more than the basic gun. The PT1911 has more to offer with many enhancements that pistols in the same price class do not.

The new Springfield and other guns that are basic or SASS models are higer priced and do not come with the features that the Taurus does.The idea was and is to have many items on the PT1911 that are found on custom priced high end pistols, but at a lower price without sacrificing quality. Taurus accompilshed that. Here's the evidence of that.
    Taurus PT1911 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Hi Powers and Handguns ...

By the way the review was done by a friend of Stephen A. Camp. For credentials Mr. Camp and Mr.Brudenell have them out the wazoo. If anyone knows handguns inside out and have been doing it for many years it's these two gents.

Taurus PT1911 Review | Pocket-Defense.com

Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP Semi-Automatic Pistol
    Taurus Stainless PT1911 .45 ACP Auto Pistol
    Note: I would like to thank Mr. Brudenell for his work in composing this article…Stephen A. Camp
    Taurus PT1911 Review Video

There is the actual evidence by the some of the best in the business.

Even the Christian Gunner.com has good things to say about the PT1911
    Taurus 1911 Review

Massad Ayoob figures into this as well.
    Massad Ayoob's Greatest Handguns of ... - Massad Ayoob - Google Books...

The Gun Digest Book of Combat ... - Massad Ayoob - Google Books...
    The Taurus PT 1911 | Gun Digest - The World's Foremost Gun Information Authority

There's the proof that the PT1911 is more than just an average and is not sub-par in any way!!

The gun is a low priced compared for what the other gun makers charge for theirs with the same items.

I've shown you the overall proof for the Taurus PT1911. That does not include the hundreds of positive threads in the archives.

And you have what in return?

It seems at times that we are supposed to those who have no experience with Taurus PT1911s who supposedly know all and see all. That's not the case here.

This is not aimed at anyone unless the shoe fits.

It is what the gun means to the person and getting the most bang for the buck. For many it is the PT1911.

Member #
    Liked
    6459 times
    Much agreed Quik!
    I don't think dollar for dollar that you will find more value, quality in a 1911 by anyone.
    and as for getting the money out of them, well i think I could come pretty darned close to breaking even or making a buck or two , I got a Pt1911 duo-tone I paid 600 out the door, a AL model that i got 481 in, a SS 38 super that i 461 in, a old blue one that i got 400 in, so I think i would come pretty close to making money.
    Now of course I can 't be responsible for what people pay for their 1911's!
    I think everyone of these pistols here still sale for 550 and up!
    of course I wouldn't sale any of them, i shoot them!
    thats more fun!!!!
    Last edited by olfarhors; 11-28-2011 at 04:40 PM.
    blackpanzer and Qwiks draw like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    647 times
    As it has been said dollar for dollar you cant beat a Taurus PT1911. If there is a dealer in your area that will allow you to try one out along with a Sig you will then be able to make a better compairison between the two
    U.S ARMY/NATIONAL GUARD VET RETIRED In a man to man fight the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine. ERWIN ROMMEL May god have mercy upon my enemies because I wont. GEORGE PATTON

Member #
    Liked
    2978 times
    LOL, the Sig is not a "real" 1911 since it varies from the original John Browning design in a way that you can not exchange those parts, i.e., external extractor.

The 1911 design is such that as more and more clones have arrived, they have settled into roughly 3 classes: 1. Production. 2. Semi-Custom. And 3. Custom. The PT-1911 pushed itself to the top of the production class and somewhat blurred the line into the Semi-Custom class while maintaining a price point firmly in the middle to lower end of the Production Class. Like any 1911 the PT-1911 has responded well to the gunsmith's touch and is as accurate an 1911 as John Browning ever envisioned. Some may complain about quality, but you get Ferrari looks and performance at Chevy prices and a lifetime warranty in a pistol close enough to the original 1911 design that 99% of the standard 1911 parts will fit with a little gunsmithing, which is par for any 1911. Enjoy it while its here.
    Qwiks draw likes this.
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and Hilliary screams, "What does it matter?" while the cowards rule.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwiks draw View Post
    The idea was and is to have many items on the PT1911 that are found on custom priced high end pistols, but at a lower price without sacrificing quality. Taurus accompilshed that. Here's the evidence of that.There is the actual evidence by the some of the best in the business.
    Quality parts...after they've been thrown through a jet engine then put into a brand new PT1911

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of the bottom of the slide - it had a bunch of little 'dents' that looked like a dremel tool banged against it a few time.

My OTHER PT1911 came new in box with a jacked up sear. When I'd turn the thumb safety OFF the hammer would drop O_O

The gun is a low priced compared for what the other gun makers charge for theirs with the same items.
    They're the same items sure, but they're not the same quality. With a 1911, a gun thats function relies upon exact measurements and hand fitting to make a sear engage everything perfectly, I wouldn't trust Taurus. (Hell it's really hard to trust anyone with that if you're not doing it yourself)

After owning four PT1911s and one M85 I would suggest you take your business to Sig over Taurus. There is a reason Taurus has a history have quality problems. Internet trolling aside, I have owned plenty of Taurus guns and really gave them a good shot to prove everyone wrong. They were right.

With that said plenty of people are happy with their Taurus guns and that's great. Though lots of people complain about Taurus quality, tons of people boast about it. If your PT1911 works great and has quality parts in it then good for you, I've bought 4 and had problems with all but one. (sold that because the rail was so GD big I couldn't find a good carry holster for it, after seeing what Taurus puts inside their guns I wouldn't carry it either way now).

Member #
    Liked
    5527 times
    That would be checking the gun over before buying will solve the problem.

I don't like buying online.

How'd anyone miss all that?

and one example doth not paintbrush the whole brand.

Member #
    Liked
    5527 times
    Since the vast majority rules then the PT1911 wins.

I've been and am,as well as many others, members at quite a few large gun forums and never seen a large volume of actual factual complaints on the 1911.

Member #
    Liked
    20167 times
    "All that is simple, is good" Mikhail Kalashnakov

If the 1911 is #1 reliable, I don't care what moniker it wears.

The fewer the whistles and bells, the closer to John Moses Brownings original it gets, and the better I like it.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    buy the sig

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwiks draw View Post
    That would be checking the gun over before buying will solve the problem.
    Checking the gun over is one thing, having a gun smith detail strip it is another. And checking the gun over before buying doesn't solve the problem, this gun came from taurus. Me not buying this specific gun doesn't magically make them have better quality. This is what they send out to dealers!

and one example doth not paintbrush the whole brand.
    Right, and one example shouldn't. Every brand will eventually push out bad gun. But I myself have experienced SERIOUS problems with MULTIPLE taurus guns that I have bought and OWNED myself. I'm not talking out of my butt, I'm not trolling. I actually give something a fair shot before talking bad about it.

One bad apple shouldn't paintbrush the whole brand, but having a SERIOUS and DANGEROUS problem with multiple guns from the same manufacturer should be enough to keep you away. It is for me. In the name of staying on the topic of PT1911s I will not go into the taurus M85 issues.

If the PT1911 works for you, then great for you. I hope if you ever need it your gun doesn't fall apart in your hands.

Cool range gun? Sure. Gun to bet your life on? No.

After purchasing 4 PT1911s and getting nothing but dissapointment and dangerous quality control errors, I think to myself, "how much money would I have saved if I just bought ONE good sig 1911?" (I gave taurus a good honest try, multiple tries)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links