Super Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    88 times

Adjustable Target Sights for PT1911... Installed! Take a Look!

I ordered a couple of parts from MidwayUSA to see if I could address the problem of adjustable sights for the PT1911. There are several now offering 3 dot sights, but all I've seen are fixed sights.

Here is what I'm started with...

The rear sight is a Millett 100 adjustable low profile for the colt combat. I knew the dovetail should pretty much fit, but the top of the slide will have to be flattened for the front of the sight. Since I've already stripped the bluing from my slide, it should be just a matter of flattening the section forward of the dovetail. Since the rear of the slide is already flat to accept the Heine rear sight... I should be able to just keep a stead hand to extend that.

The front is an EGW fiber optic for the 1911. I don't think the dovetail will match so I'll either adjust the sight or the slide. Millett suggest a .200 front sight to adjust for the higher rear. The fiber optic front should be a nice addition since it will pick up daylight quickly.

These are not night sights. Hopefully they will be suitable to let me adjust the sights for more accurate target shooting. I chose the white outline rather than the 3 dot arrangement. I had this type of rear on a target S&W .357 and I really liked it. It will give a post and dot effect... and I for one don't have a major problem with the Heine straight 8... though I wish the dots were more pronounced.

So a couple of evenings with a fine flat file and emery cloth and voila...

The rear sight is fully adjustable... both elevation and wind-age within the sight itself... rather than having to physically shift the rear sight in the dovetail. The only question I have is the .200 front sight... I will have to shoot it to see how it works. The box says use the .225 front from the Colt Combat... or the .312 for the Browning (I presume the High Power) where the sight would set fully on top of the slide. If I were to guess off hand, I'd presumed something around .250 or .275, but I'll have a much better image after I've shot this.

For about $80 buck for parts from Midway, I'm pretty satisfied. If I had to good gunsmith with metal working machine, I'd had had the flats extended professionally, but not knowing someone, and seeking to answer the personal question (can I do this myself) I just worked patiently, stopping after ever 50 strokes with the file and checking level front to back and side to side. The sight itself covers the cuts so it looks good. It is an awesome rear with the while post and outline... very quick to catch your eye and the red fiber optic catches the light quickly, although I wish the rod was larger.

There is no reason for those who make sights to exile the PT1911 to fixed sights... nice three dot or night sights, but the accuracy of this gun begs for a set of fully adjustable target sights. Since you can't by them, at least you can do them on your own (or have a machinist do the work). If you don't mind cutting the dovetail just a bit deeper you could make these sit down absolutely tight against the slide, but I didn't care to add that to my equation... and I'm pleased with my results.
    [size=14pt]Senior Grand Master Tin Can Shooter and Paper Target Puncher[/size]

PT1911: Burnished Slide,
    Colobolo Grips,
    Millett 100
    Low Profile rear
    PT145: with HIVIZ
    Front Sight
    Browning
    Hi-Power,
    Green sealed
    Fiber Optic

Super Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    88 times

Re: Adjustable Target Sights for PT1911... Installed! Take a Look!

For those who wanted detailed pictures...

I hope you find these pictures helpful

Colobolo Grips,
    Millett 100
    Low Profile rear
    Front Sight
    Browning
    Hi-Power,
    Green sealed
    Fiber Optic

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? It seems like the rear sight is sitting higher than the factory/smith installed versions I've seen. Is there enough adjustment of the blade, towards the slide top to compensate for the height difference between the front sight and rear?

Member #
    Liked
    247 times

Let us know how big of a difference these make.

I sold my guns because the Government says they are dangerous.

Super Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    88 times

Quote Originally Posted by Justice4all
    It seems like the rear sight is sitting higher than the factory/smith installed versions I've seen. Is there enough adjustment of the blade, towards the slide top to compensate for the height difference between the front sight and rear?
    The height of the front sight will have to be choosen. One of the articles indicates a height of .200 which is what I installed. Another reference was for a .225 or a .315. I will have to do some experimenting on front height... preferablly one that allows some adjustment with the rear. I will have to report on this after a trip to the range

Colobolo Grips,
    Millett 100
    Low Profile rear
    Front Sight
    Browning
    Hi-Power,
    Green sealed
    Fiber Optic

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I'm thinking about adding these sights to my PT1911.
    What front-sight height did you end up going with?

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    66 times

It will probably be a while before Cim get's a chance to answer you. He's been away for a little while with some personal reasoning.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I would GREATLY like to replace the front sight with a fiber. Does anyone have either the dimensions of the front sight cut in the slide, or another brand/model compatibility?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

I bought a Dawson Precision fiber optic. They sell them for the factory Heinie sight cut.

I purchased the Dawson Precision Fiber front sight and installed it on my PT 1911. The sight blade is a little bit narrower than the factory but the height is the same. Pulled the set screw on the heinie, slid right out. The Dawson required the slightest filing with a needle file to make it fit. Directions with sight say to file leading edge slightly and try, lather, rinse, repeat, until the sight will slide in 1/3 of the way. Pull out, clean off any filing residue (I added this), and put a small drop of blue loc-tite under sight. Use included aluminum drift (with step cut in the end) to drift the sight the rest of the way in. Lay the slide on it's side measure with a caliper from the benchtop to the top / side of the sight. Measure each side to verify the sight is centered.

Yes the sight is a bit narrower, I feel it gives me better visibility around the sight to see my target alignment. The measurements they give at dawson are the sight height and the fiber optic dot size (don't think the second measurement is width). The sight is well made and designed to work with thw factory rear. I ordered the .125 dot and let me tell you, from early morning to last light this thing really shines. For IDPA it has sped up my shooting and dropped less points.
    Fear the Government that Fears your Guns !!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links