Thread: 1911 AR sights

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

1911 AR sights

I bought a 1911 AR and found my grouping to be a little high and a little right after I fired the first 50 rounds. I spoke to another 1911 AR owner who reported his grouping was low and left out of the box. He ended up having fiber optic sights installed by a gunsmith and now reports his groups to be accurate.

Upon inspecting my sights I found both the front sight and rear sight were not centered in the cut out on the slide. There were obvious differences in spacing on the left and right side of both front and rear sights.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Any recommendations for night sights for the 1911 AR?

Anyone find a holster that actually fits the 1911 AR?

Please respond with suggestions and or options! Thank you!!

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bcountry121 View Post
    ..found my grouping to be a little high and a little right after I fired the first 50 rounds.

Upon inspecting my sights I found both the front sight and rear sight were not centered in the cut out on the slide. There were obvious differences in spacing on the left and right side of both front and rear sights.

Please respond with suggestions and or options! Thank you!!
    I suggest you shoot the gun more than 50 rounds before deciding it needs new sights or that they need adjusting.
    USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    5914 times
    well just bought a new PT1911 AL, thats the same gun as yours without the additional baggage under it.
    I have only ran 150 rounds through it and this was free hand.
    it appears that using the same sight picture (POA=POI) as my other 1911's that it prints a bit low ( 3-4 inches at 7 yards), but as the gun is new and that it has not really settled in with mating its parts i have no intention of doing much of anything as to the elevation until about 4-500 rounds.
    I will then if still printing low put it on a bench rest with bags and see where it prints.
    Now the left right issue can be addressed easily by simply loosening the screws in either sight (front/rear) and tapping them over.
    as for left/right a lot could depend on whether the shooter is left handed or right handed!
    Interestingly people seem to not understand or think about the sights (fixed) on most non target pistols are for combat/ protection issues and so the manufatcures strive to make a one size fits all .
    they are not target type sights and most will with proper form give a useful accuracy in such situations.
    anytime that ones goes with a railed weapon then holster fit becomes a problem.
    I beleive that both Novak and Hienie make night sights for the PT1911.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    193 times
    Both of my PT1911s have been dead on right out of the box... POA = POI.. I am very pleased with them.. and waiting to find another gem in one of my local stores.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Life, Liberty, And The Pursuit Of Those Against It

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Sold my PT1911 AR when I realized I couldn't carry it because it was NEAR IMPOSSIBLE to find a fitting holster. I think fobus makes a holster...and thats it... (I'm sure for 70-100+ you can find someone to make a custom holster for you, but eff that, I like options. I have more holsters than my wife has shoes.)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    my 1911 AR shoots low and to the right out of the box. now after maybe about 300 to 400 rounds , it seems to be getting better POI and POA is off still. i am left handed and that might be some to it . when i tried my right hand my POI is on with my POA , but the grouping still needs to improve.

Member #
    Liked
    5914 times
    Quote Originally Posted by winstead76 View Post
    my 1911 AR shoots low and to the right out of the box. now after maybe about 300 to 400 rounds , it seems to be getting better POI and POA is off still. i am left handed and that might be some to it . when i tried my right hand my POI is on with my POA , but the grouping still needs to improve.
    UH-HUH, I just asked that question on another of your post "Are you left handed?"
    I see that you are, this is a common problem with lefties, puilling the shot to the right and low, righties do it Low and left.
    work on the trigger pull and keeping the front sight on target as you pull through the shot.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Links