Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: PT 1911 extractor

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

PT 1911 extractor

Hey guys... "I" broke my extractor today at the range hand loading ammo... i didn't know and now its a lesson learned. but now i need to replace it.. where can i find i new one.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    3937 times
    Call Taurus CS and you should have one in a week.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    that was the plan but due to work im going to leave and i doont have time to mail out the broken one. i was just hoping to have one at the house when i get back

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16813 times
    At least its not an expensive lesson. Around here I can get a decent one at a gun shop for $15-20 ($40 installed by a smith if you want) You can also order them from Taurus if you are more patient than me, they might even replace it for you. But if you replace it with something other than a Taurus extractor it might not hold in the firing pin plunger, Taurus has a bit of a different cut than some others. Its not the end of the world in my opinion, I don't care for that lawyer friendly garbage anyway, but just a heads up. I heard the wilson extractors work well. I know others on here have replaced theirs too, (mine went last December) and they will be able to give you their experiences.
    Last edited by TexasAviator; 05-27-2011 at 09:55 PM.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Oh yes and im than full it was not expensive. and i saw the wilson extractors online. i just did not know if other 1911 parts would work for the Taurus arms.

Member #
    Liked
    2214 times
    The best would be to get a replacement from Taurus CS. You might want to go ahead and get a spare, because extractors are like light bulbs. They could go out today or last 20 years, you never know. And don't be fooled into buying a name brand made out of unobtanium. As long as the extractor is the same design as the original John Browning design they are all like lightbulbs. Only extractor I might say is an improved design is EGW's HD Extractor and it will definitely require a lot of fit and finish. I have one in a custom 1911 I built and it's been good so far, but you never know with extractors. It best to just keep a spare.

But personally knowing what I do now from experience, for your PT-1911 I would just get another Taurus extractor and a spare. M1911.org has a good guide on how to tune your 1911 extractor over in the gunsmithing forum stickies.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16813 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ke35096 View Post
    Oh yes and im than full it was not expensive. and i saw the wilson extractors online. i just did not know if other 1911 parts would work for the Taurus arms.
    With an extractor you want to make sure you get on modeled on the "series 82" type firing pin plunger system. Where people usually get into a bit of trouble is when they think everything will fit everything else as a drop in part... The golden rule of 1911's... all parts are interchangeable... except those that are not, most just require some work to make them so!
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    thanks chief. so as long as i stick with series 82 i will be golden?

Member #
    Liked
    2214 times
    Series 82? I haven't heard of that one....did you mean a series 80?

Did Taurus CS tell you to send them the broken extractor first? That's new, they usually will send you the extractor now and you can return the broken one later. Call them back and tell them you don't have time and you will send them the broken one back when you get back from travel.

TexasAviator is correct, First Rule of the 1911 is there are no drop-in parts for the 1911. You might need to do a little fitting even on the Taurus extractor. Another good reason to read through the guide to tuning your 1911 extractor. If there is more than one 1911 extractor guide at M1911.org you want the one written by 1911Tuner.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Links