Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Taurus PT1911 vs Colt Series 70 (new)

I purchased a PT1911, several months ago at a gun show, for what I thought was a reasonable price. But because of the weather, had not been able to shoot it. Then while at a local gun shop (Williams Gun Sight Co.) I purchased a Colt Series 70, one of the newer issues. Looking them over, they both looked like nice guns. The Taurus had some features the Colt did not have, such as better sights, target-type trigger, and ambi-safety.
    The blueing on the Colt was nice, came with two standard 7-shot Colt magazines.

I took them both out to the range today, WoW, what a difference! I liked the "Straight 8" Henie sights. At 10 yards, put one dot over the other and boom, right where I was pointing. I used several different magazines, the Taurus wouldn't lock back, after the last shot, with a S&W and the Colt magazines worked great. Trigger pull was smooth and consistent.

The Colt on the other hand was a little different. The sights were smaller, no white dots, and trigger pull was sort of "odd" . As I pulled back on the trigger, it would move back kind of stop, then move back a little more and stop and then back a little more. Sort of three different pulls. I had to almost stage the trigger, to get a consistent let-off. Naturally, my shots were a little off to left, all in a bunch.

The Colt certainly has potential, I have a lot of room for improvement. New sights, action job and should be fine. The Taurus is already fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    193 times

Re: Taurus PT1911 vs Colt Series 70 (new)

Congrats... I too love my PT1911, it's a superb pistol. I have not tried the factory magazines, as I always use wilson combat magazines in my 1911s but I have not had any problems using them.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Life, Liberty, And The Pursuit Of Those Against It

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Maybe it wasn't a fair test. Next time I'll compare the Taurus against my $1,000 S&W 1911PD, instead of a $800 Colt.

Member #
    Liked
    6264 times

I didn't realize that Colt still made a series 70 actually.
    the Taurus is an older model if it has Hienie straight eight sights on it.
    I agree with you i like the hienies as well.
    I have a Colt and a Taurus 1911 as well and to be honest with you I can't tell a bit of difference in either as to accuracy and smoothness, the Colt has a bit of a better finish on it and its smoother on the inside as to machining but at the range they are equal in my hands.
    the two Taurus below, the Blue has Hienies, the duo tone has novak three dots, the Colt has novak three dots.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20628 times

Both Very fine 1911's! I have been looking at the Colt without the "series 80" stuff as well, I go back and forth with Colt... or have one built.. I lean more toward the colt ....
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    36 times

Quote Originally Posted by bull_chips
    The Colt certainly has potential
    If you said that on a lot of other forums out there, you'd NEVER hear the end of it...

I've had a (slightly upgraded) Colt and a home-built 1911, and they were pretty much comparable as far as shootablilty and accuracy... I remember that the Colt had a slight imperfection in the slide where you could look down along the left side and see a bit of a 'wave' in slide, like it was warped.
    My PT1911 was delivered to my gunsmith today... I hope to have it in my hands by friday and compare it to what I remember of the other two.
    'A strong man stands up for himself. A stronger man stands up for others.'
    -Ben the Cow

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

The Colt certainly has potential
    I know, I was just being facetious.
    The Colt really is a nice pistol and with some improvements, will make an excellent firearm. Which is why I bought it in the first place. It is a Series 70, without the firing pin safety. With a new, smoothed out trigger, lighter trigger pull, and new sights, I think this will make a great .45. Its just kind of ironic, that the $500 Taurus does such a nice job, right out of the box. A decent trigger pull, nice sights, makes an accurate firearm.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I got into the 1911 arena pretty cheap with my PT1911 and it was some of the best gun money I've ever spent. My buddy with his Springfield is always telling me how much he likes my PT1911. Especially since he's left handed and his Springer doesn't have the ambi-safety.
    "Brother, you'd be amazed. It'll blast a hole in a man big enough to throw a dog through."
    --Hamilton Felix on the effectiveness of the .45

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

You summed it up pretty well, "The Taurus is already fine"

Member #
    Liked
    1956 times

You guys are making me hungry.
    Ancient Airman, WWII, Korea
    PT-111 Mil PRO - Evita,
    24/7 PRO DS - Sweetie,
    24/7 PRO C DS - Maxine,
    S&W 60-4 - The Old Man
    PT 1911 - Gilda, the Golden Girl,
    NRA

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
    - George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links