Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cleaning the PT-1911

a new gun owner and new to the boards, i have to clean my PT1911 cause i went shooting with it and have been looking at the boards and saw a few different things on cleaning it,

the main thing i have for a question is there any kind of oil i should or should not use to clean the gun with, i went to a shooting range and the guy gave me a cleaner/oiler all in one and i was wondering if this is a good idea or bad idea to use an all in one?

then second any parts i should not oil?

ADN
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Re: Cleaning the PT-1911

I am sure you will get a lot of different opinions on what to use and what not to use with regards to oil in your pistol. Keep in mind that too much oil is worse than too little. Oil will serve two purposes: first as a lubricant for friction areas and second as a preservative/rust preventive. If you can see the oil you have too much on. Everything I oil gets wiped down very well before going back in the gun.
    With regards to what to oil look for any place where you have metal contacting metal like the pin on you barrel lug. The biggest contact points will be between the slide/slide rails. Some will say oil is fine and some use grease. As far as what is the best product to use you will get as many opinions as posts. I use either synthetic motor oil, CLP (probably similar to what you got at the range), or Militec-1 (the most expensive of the three) depending on my mood. I wouldn't worry too much about your decision because almost anything you choose will work well. Most importantly, enjoy your new gun!
    PT1911B
    PT111 Pro
    PT738
    Ruger P95
    Beretta U22 Neos

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

ohh i have been enojying it, i am taking it apart tomorrow for the first time to clean it up and oil it. have to get some more rounds so i can go to the range again. it is amazing how fast u can go through 100 rounds at the range.

want to shoot it a few more time before i go get my CWP

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    11928 times

Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois where it hit the mid 40's today and we have SPRING FEVER!

I really enjoy my PT1911 SS and use it for USPSA club matches. I'll use Breakfree on the mag release and other moving parts and white lithium grease on the rails, barrel link and barrel lugs...sparingly. You will want to detail strip the slide every couple of thousand rounds to clean the extractor/firing pin channel for range work....sooner if you carry for SD.
    Nobody will ever deprive the American people of the right to vote except the American people themselves and the only way they could do this is by not voting.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Member #
    Liked
    56 times

i completely strip mine down and clean with simple green, rinse with water, blow dry with compressed air, and wipe down all surfaces using a cleaning patch with clp. a drop on each frame rail and one on the barrel hood and all is good to go.

this is how i was instructed in my sig armorers course and ive stuck with it. works very well.
    Tarheel Born.
    Tarheel Bred.
    When I Die -
    Ill be Tarheel Dead!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

thanks for the info guys am gonna strip it down shortly and clean her (guess it is alright to call ur gun a her?) up nice and oil

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

I only cleaned the basic field stripped upper and its been fine for a 1k plus rounds
    Taurus PT1911 AR .45 ACP
    Taurus Raging Bull 6.5" SS .454 Casull
    Ruger MKIII .22 SS
    DPMS LR-308
    AR-15 -RCW Billet Lower, Bushmaster 7.62x39 upper

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18466 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mini19Stock
    thanks for the info guys am gonna strip it down shortly and clean her (guess it is alright to call ur gun a her?) up nice and oil
    All my Taurus handguns are my "girls"...well, except for my Judge Public Defender.

In Memory of Erv Bobo, Supporting Moderator

(Lance0812)
    September 23, 2014

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21603 times

Here is where the diverse opinions start...

I agree that light on the oil is the way to go...except. Whenever I get a new firearm, I usually use a bit more oil on the slide rails, so much so that I can see it, and on a 1911 every once and a while a drop into the frame near the firing pin block plunger lever (not often but I do it every 2000 rounds or so). After the first oiling I do wipe down the barrel and the slid to make sure I don't have any oil getting in to the barrel (oil in the barrel can cause higher pressures which can be very bad!) or onto the outside and also I make sure the whole feeding section, feed ramp, slide walls around the inside of the ejection port, etc are bone dry, friction in those areas is key to the weapon functioning properly.. After the initial heavy oiling I go very light as well...

I don't know for a fact that either way is right, it is one of those situations where if you ask 100 people you get 100 different answers! Just my opinion though!

And yes, firearms are girls! They make you very happy when they are working right, when they don't you want to ship them off!!!!! (yes I tell my wife this all the time!)

Most important.... enjoy that PT 1911!

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Congrats on the new 1911. Enjoy.

Links