Member #
    Liked
    0 times

assembly of PT1911

I just recently bougt my first 1911 style pistol. I have a question about the barrel link. Is it possible to put the pistol back together incorrectly? Getting the slide stop through is the only question here.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10458 times

Re: assembly of PT1911

When i put the barrel in, I try to keep the barrel link tipped forward - this makes it easier (for me) to put the slide stop through it. That's what you're trying to accomplish when you do this step.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=2388.0

Here is a link to disassembly, with some good pictures of the procedure.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21323 times

It is possible, what I do is look inside the pin hole of my 1911's (before inserting the pin), move the barrel around with my fingers and you can see the link. That way I know it is lined up, I then insert the pin. Once it is in, look at the barrel with the slide locked back. If it wiggles a small amount that is normal, you should know if it is wiggling alot or sliding back and forth. If it really bugs you, ask a friend or someone at the range who has a 1911 take a quick look. No shame in wanting to get it right the first time!
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I think im doing it right. when its all back together it functions like it should and the barrel doesnt wiggle around or move.

Member #
    Liked
    6472 times

If the slide drops forward and everything works correctly after reassembly then all is good in the world!
    disassembly/assembly will become mundane after a few times, just don't make IDIOT marks on your slide with the slide stop by trying to screw it in, it will drop right in straight if you align the slide correctly on the frame.
    the two gentlemens post above are exactly how i do it as well.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Links