Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Member #
    Liked
    206 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeardslee View Post
    I've pretty much got myself talked into a PT1911 for my next handgun, but I'm stuck on the fence as far as finishes are concerned. On the one hand I keep visualizing a nice deep blue 1911 with a set of checkered bonded ivory grips (I think Al Pacino ruined me for life with that little officer's model in Heat ). But then I got thinking about holster wear, which got me thinking about stainless. Something I've always wanted is a chrome 1911, and I'm wondering if polishing a stainless PT1911 to a high gloss is an option. So have any of you attacked a stainless PT with a buffer and a dremel tool?

That's the exact same concerns and rationale I had when I bought mine. I originally wanted a Duotone but they didn't make it with an accessory rail. I ended up getting the PT1911AR. I love it.

Member #
    Liked
    206 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dbeardslee View Post
    I had the same problem trying to get a good shot of the polished chamber area on my PT145 - just couldn't find an angle the camera liked. A mirror finish is what I had in mind - thanks for the pics and process info. I've got a dremel that works well on small stuff, but I'm thinkin' a larger (6-8") buffer would make it a lot easier. I've been threatening to buy one for years - got a 30 year old Yamaha out in the mancave that could use some shining in places too . This is the unit I'm considering -

Course about the time I'm getting my mind made up, I saw this thing - match barrel and bushing, fitted slide and frame, jobbed trigger, stippled grip safety, checkered flat mainspring housing, oem grip and thumb safeties (which I like), walnut grips, three dot sights, and what looks to be a better factory finish. This one put me squarely back on the fence again - anybody care to render an opinion on the Remington R1?

I have this R1 and a SS PT1911 AR. Both great guns. Taurus has a better trigger. I like the retro look of the R1. I'm thinking about ordering the adjustable trigger from Taurus to reduce the trigger creep.

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    I've polished several stainless guns with an 8" buffer. My stainless Raging Bull 44 mag looks especially nice, and my wife's XDm slide looks like a mirror. What I like is that if any wear becomes noticeable on the gun, with a stainless you can always polish back to pristine.
    NRA Range Safety Officer

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Links