Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

1911 as a primary pistol to carry for self defense.

I'm interested in buying a 1911 because of my love of the guns themselves. So I've made this my choice of weapon to carry once I've attained my CWP. Though asking a few people I know they talk of how big the 1911 is, which is no doubt true. But I doubt that concealing the gun is much of a problem. My biggest question is a 1911 impractical for a self defense pistol? Should I be aiming for a smaller pistol? I'm not a fan of the concealed versions either.

Member #
    Liked
    193 times

Re: 1911 as a primary pistol to carry for self defense.

Nothing wrong with a 1911 for concealed carry. I have an often carry a full sized 5" 1911. Mostly now I carry my Springfield EMP 1911 in .40 caliber though...

I can carry either with an IWB holster and have no problem whatsoever. It's also a very practical self defense pistol.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Life, Liberty, And The Pursuit Of Those Against It

Member #
    Liked
    29 times

I find it easier to conceal a full size 1911 than concealing a compact double stack gun. That being said, I carry an XD.
    In a world of talkers, be a thinker and a doer.

Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it binds the universe together.

You know the other funny thing about duct tape? There are hundreds of uses, but it's not used for ducts. Go figure...

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    14684 times

With the holsters available today, a 1911 can be concealed quite easily. Mine works great, but my only objection is the weight. I tire of wearing it quickly.
    All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    4093 times

I have carried a full sized 1911A1 concealed for many years and never had any problems, although at the end of the day it is nice to be able to shed some weight easily.

Now if the real weight would come off that easily all would be good!
    The Government is not the cure, it is the disease!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

As indicated here, the 1911 system is an outstanding concealed-carry pistol; if, repeat if REPEAT IF you take the time to master it.

The very features that make the 1911 such a great fighting pistol (short, light trigger and manual safety) also make it risky unless you put in the time to become totally familiar and practiced with it.

I used to carry a 1911-type pistol, but when I had to back off practice, I found myself almost making some deadly mistakes with it. I had to send it to the safe and go with a gun that had a longer, heavier trigger among other things. this isn't to scare you off, but to make you wary. Get good instruction, then practice, practice, PRACTICE!!!!
    Powder smoke: The smell of FREEDOM

Member #
    Liked
    3305 times

If you intend to CC a 1911, make sure you plan on a good holster and a good belt as part of your purchase. A good belt will go a long way in making carrying the weight of a 1911 easier.
    4 Dead in Benghazi while Cowards watched. 4 Dead in Benghazi while the Media hid. 4 Dead Heroes who died for those who do not care. 4 Dead in Benghazi and who will pay. 4 Dead in Benghazi and Hilliary screams, "What does it matter?" while the cowards rule.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I carry a full size .45 Kimber. Remember, we carry guns because they are comforting, not comfortable. I find a full size .45 very comforting. Get a good holster, and a good belt. The belt should cost nearly as much as the holster. I carry in a strong side pancake often with nothing but an untucked t shirt for concealment with no problems.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

The 1911 is long but very flat. That makes it very comfortable to carry concealed. I'm hoping Taurus will bring out a Combat Commander size. I prefer those over the full size. I carried a lightweight commander on and off duty for years.

Mike

Deo Vindice

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    24574 times

Quote Originally Posted by shep854
    As indicated here, the 1911 system is an outstanding concealed-carry pistol; if, repeat if REPEAT IF you take the time to master it.

The very features that make the 1911 such a great fighting pistol (short, light trigger and manual safety) also make it risky unless you put in the time to become totally familiar and practiced with it.

I used to carry a 1911-type pistol, but when I had to back off practice, I found myself almost making some deadly mistakes with it. I had to send it to the safe and go with a gun that had a longer, heavier trigger among other things. this isn't to scare you off, but to make you wary. Get good instruction, then practice, practice, PRACTICE!!!!
    +1
    ​Venimus, vidimus, nos explodit.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links