Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    148 times

PT 1911 won't cock? A little help please?

Fairly new to the 1911, but it is used.

Functioned perfectly on my first range trip, but I pulled it out to prep for taking it out this weekend, and the hammer will not cock.

Hammer pulls back without a problem, but then just snaps back. When I pull it back and engage the safety it does not hold.

Any ideas about the problem, and am I looking at a small fix at my smith, or a trip back to Taurus?

Thanks for the help. So much for my weekend.
    Notice: This communication monitored by the NSA.

SUPER MODERATOR EMERITUS With Us Always 1953-2012

Member #
    Body in El Paso - heart and soul in Marshall, Texas
    Liked
    801 times

Re: PT 1911 won't cock? A little help please?

Did you check the hammer lock?
    "Failure is always an option" - Adam Savage (Mythbusters)
    Nikita K. made the prediction. Barry O. is working to make it come true. - BUTT
    "The secret of life is to solve more problems than you create." - BUTT
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Member #
    Liked
    148 times

I field stripped it Texan, and looked to see if anything was amiss, but not sure what I should be looking for.

While I had it stripped I was able to get it cocked, but not consistently. Not sure if I jiggled something that made it work or what.

This is the first 1911 I've had, so I'm not that familiar.

SUPER MODERATOR EMERITUS With Us Always 1953-2012

Member #
    Body in El Paso - heart and soul in Marshall, Texas
    Liked
    801 times

My next bit of advice - DO NOT send this pistol to Taurus.

Since it is a 1911 design any good local gunsmith can analyze and fix the problem.
    "Failure is always an option" - Adam Savage (Mythbusters)
    Nikita K. made the prediction. Barry O. is working to make it come true. - BUTT
    "The secret of life is to solve more problems than you create." - BUTT
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Member #
    Liked
    148 times

I know they are slowwwww. One reason I was hoping it was something simple. Smith is likely my best best, but he's not quick either. Thanks for the reply.

Member #
    Liked
    6495 times

damn that sounds strange!
    so it fired fine the last time you used it?
    I don't know but sounds kind a like the sear isn't engaging properly, but you would think if that was the case that it would have shown up when you shot it?
    after the last firing did you break it down nd clean it?
    if so how far down did you go?
    you didn't remove any of the parts from the trigger group or springs from the frame did you? (mainspring?)
    I am just grabbing for straws here!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    148 times

oldfarhors, I did a field strip and cleaning after shooting, but it went back together and functioned afterward.

I put new grips on, and thought I might have nudged a spring or something in the process, but it worked okay after that too.

The first time it malfunctioned was after I seated a new mag for the first time. I'm wondering now if that's something to do with it.

The ambi-safety had been replaced with a single safety, so I know the previous owner had it apart at some point.

Bought it used, so I figured I might run into some problems. But I'll make her right one way or the other.

Member #
    Liked
    6495 times

HMM! interesting, we got some pretty smart 1911 guys here they can possibly shed some light on it!
    the taurus does not have a magazine disconnect!
    and i can't see anyway that putting new grips on it would do anything!
    how does the trigger act?
    Now I have no idea cause i have never used it but just a thought here!
    is there anyway that the taurus safety system that is on the hammer would/could cause this, say if it was half way on /off?
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Jim,

You said that you put new grips on the gun.....did you remove the thumb safety and was there anything missing when you field stripped it. I had a customer that brought me his gun, not a Taurus, with the same problems. I removed the grip and the pin that holds the sear/disconnector was gone, as were these parts. After he looked around his workbench he found all three and brought them to me and I reinstalled them, fixing this problem. In this picture, the pin, just to the right of the grip bushing is the sear pin. There is a scratch on the frame at the top of the sear pin hole.

If they are not missing on your gun, there is a possibliity the three finger spring has broken, preventing it from applying pressure to keep the sear surface against the hammer notch.

If that is not the case then there is a problem with the sear or hammer itself. Again as stated above, take it to a qualified gunsmith. Both parts are MIM and can break. If so have the gunsmith replace them with non-MIM parts.

tex45acp
    If you kill someone here in Texas, were gonna kill ya right back!!

Ron White
    Blue Collar Comedy Tour

Member #
    Liked
    31 times

"The first time it malfunctioned was after I seated a new mag for the first time. I'm wondering now if that's something to do with it."

Since it worked and then did not after being taken apart and having a mag inserted, I'm wondering if the disconecctor is in just a slightly different position and striking the magazine? You seem to indicate this is a NEW mags, yes? Slightly different dimensions -- it just takes a tad. Did you use the previous mag to see sheat happened by chance? Try it with NO mag in place? Toss it against the wall? Oh yea --- I get frustrated enough at times to do just that!

Any chance the sear spring was not properly mated when the mainspring housing was inserted and the MH pin driven in place? Kind of unlikely - but another of those free thoughts.

Will it half-cock? Hammer hooks come to mind, but kind of unlikely. I think you are on the right track leaning towards your query about the new magazine. But then, once a long time ago --- I WAS wrong. Dang these issues are frustrating as heck. I do agreee Taurus is not an option --- a pistolsmith could save you time, frustrationa and shipping (if it's not covered by Taurus).

Good thoughts your way --------- keep us up to speed, OK?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links