Taurus Firearm Forum banner

taurus 1911 concealed carry

4K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Steelheart 
#1 ·
Will soon be getting my first pistol. Want a .45. Have taken my CCW class. What do you guys think of the Taurus PT 1911 for concealed carry. Any of you doing it ...if so how do youc arry it ... holster, vest etc?? Thanks people.

Proud owner of a:
Remington 870 20 gauge 8 round
Mannlicher Schoenaur 30.06
Boito 20 gauge sxs "lupera"

#3 ·
Anyone carrying a 1911 will attest that the single most important element is a good gun belt. I have a double thickness belt with a kydex stiffener sewn in between.

There are a lot of 1911's being carried, but realize that it's heavy... and regardless of what holster you use will pull your belt down... so be prepared to wear the belt pretty tight and "hitch it up" regularly.

I'd love to find a set of lether suspenders to wear with my belt to help keep the gun up on your hip.

Personally I like the Bianchi Model 82 with the quick release but almost any holster that spreads the weight out and forms around your hip should work.

Personally, I have found that I prefer carrying my PT145 even though I love the feel of the PT1911 both holding and shooting.

#5 ·
When I had a 1911, I was able to carry it without any real issues other than what Cimarron mentioned above.

I carried mine in a Milt Sparks Watch-Six holster on my right hip. I could conceal it with an untucked tee-shirt (FYI, I wear a 34" waist pants and that give space to spare for an IWB holster). The only issue I ever ran into while sitting was on a long trip once (several hour drive, no AC and hot weather) I shifted around enough to wear some holes in the back of my shirt. I didn't notice it until after we were home.

Definitely use a good gun belt and I'd recommend a quality holster as well.

Steelheart

#6 ·
Carry mine daily in an MTAC w/J hooks comfortably.

+1 for Cimarron about tightening the belt and hitching up regularly, it's guaranteed to happen.

I used to cary a full size USP .45. Now that thing feels like a toy when I handle it but I love my Taurus.

Good luck. Sam.

#7 ·
I'm using an Uncle Mike's IWB while I await delivery of a Tucker Heritage IWB holster later this month. There are lots of holsters out there for 1911 carry -- spend some time researching because there's no end to the opinions and comments. In addition to the excellent resources available here, take a look at this 1911 holster forum. Ideally try one before you buy and as others have said, absolutely get a good gun belt.

Here's a [video=google;227039497787434870]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=227039497787434870[/video] of a leather craftsman at work. And [video=google;-4195524556644359563]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4195524556644359563[/video].

#9 ·
I use a Kramer belt holster to conceal my PT1911. It is made out of stiff horse hide and forms to the 1911 like a glove. It rides high up on my hip with the nose of the holster just inside my right back pocket. It is very comfortable and conceals my 1911 with a light button down shirt covering it. With a light coat on you would never know I was carrying unless you bumped right into the gun.

Here is a post I made with some pictures of the Kramer and me wearing it...

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2901.0

As a side note: I shopped around for a comfortable holster to fit my body type. The Kramer serves me very well, you will likely need to look around and try some holsters on for size. A good gun shop that carries holsters will fit the holster to you and your gun, let you try it on and walk around to make sure it is comfortable. I highly recommend you do that if you haven't bought a holster for a 1911 before.

#10 ·
I carry my PT1911 in a K&D Dakota defender IWB every day of the year. While it has a design similar to the Milt Sparks, the quality is reflected in its lower price. The holster is perfectly usable in the summer with a tucked polo or in the cooler months untucked with a jacket. I have been carrying the 1911 so long that I feel almost naked without it on my side. ;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.