Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PT1911 Upgrades

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

PT1911 Upgrades

Hello all!

I am a new PT1911B owner and have spent a couple hours looking over the threads and reading FAQs on this forum. I would like to thank the forum owner for hosting a fine site like this, since it is definately a good service to those of us who own the Taurus PT1911!

Now that I am done sucking up, let me move to my question!

I don't have my new pistol in hand yet and I am already excited to not just shoot it stock, but start tweaking it and building it up with some easy-to-do upgrades. I already have some Wilson magazines on the way and I am looking around for some new grips. What other upgrades could I do without having to hand this over to a smithy to work on?

All recomendations are welcome except for "I recommend you get a dictionary", or "I recommend a spell checker", or even the oldie but goodie "I recommend you stop being a n00b"!

I look forward to the list of improvements. Oh, and I know some of you have tinkered with the finish of the pistol, but I have missed the details as to what was done to the finish. So please share, if you will, how to improve the finish and the steps taken.

Thanks to all in advance!
    If at first you don't succeed shoot and shoot again!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Re: PT1911 Upgrades

Welcome to Taurus Armed! Honestly, there isn't much that needs done to the PT1911...it is almost perfect right out of the box! All I did to mine was add new grips...

With that said, being that it is a 1911...there are tons of stuff you can do to mod it! Keep us posted on what you decide to do...
    Member: Pennsylvania Zombie Response Team
    Taurus Armed: PT1911 & Raging Bull .44 Mag (6" Stainless)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I agree with RocketFoot, most of the standard upgrades have already been done from the factory.
    If it will be used in any kind of competitive environment, a few speed related items come to mind like a mag well and extended slide release.
    Sights are also a way to personalize your gun, but options for sights without cutting are somewhat limited right now. From what I've gathered Heinie allowed Taurus to mfg the straight eights they put on the PT1911, but Taurus decided to alter the dovetail size for the rear, so it's not a standardized cut.

From the finish aspect, I've heard good things from Ceramikote, Cerakote, Duracote. I've seen the Ceramikote from Wheeler first hand, good stuff. I'm going to go that route eventually, but I'll wait till mine gets well worn before doing it. The most frequent advice I've heard from any of the brands is if you are going to do it yourself, find scrap metal to practice on first. Most of the kits supply enough volume to do several guns, so no harm to use a bit to get comfy with it before doing the gun itself.

Super Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    87 times

Congratulations on the new gun ordered. I've had mine for a couple of weeks. As far as upgrades, let me echo what has been said with appendums...

Don't mess with the fire control parts... hammer, sear, disconnector... these are tuned parts... you mess with these and (a) you void the warranty, and (b) you mess up what is one of the better stock triggers. And "NO" you can't just change out the hammer... they are matched to the sear.

Grips... go for it! Let it be your personality statement! Get the Stag horn or the psychedelic lamanates... what ever suit's your fancy.

Sights... give the Heinie sights a chance before you just yank them off. Some people just can't handle them, but they do have some merit... and with most guns they are dead on for combat range.

Finish... Do what you like, but again, you may wish to see how it stands up. Personally, I have my sights set on doing the slide in hard chrome. The coatings (all of them) look good if prepared and applied right, but your choices may change.

Ammo... the best thing you can do is save your money and invest it in practice ammo. That will single handedly solve more problem than any part purchased.

There seems to be an unspoken law that says you have to start spending big bucks on modifying a 1911. Far too many are done poorly or detract from the value of the gun and when sold only bring pennies on the dollar in return at the sale.

If you want people to be impressed with your gun, do it with your shooting, not necessarily your "bling." Taurus has pretty well covered most all the bases when outfitting the gun out of the box.
    [size=14pt]Senior Grand Master Tin Can Shooter and Paper Target Puncher[/size]

PT1911: Burnished Slide,
    Colobolo Grips,
    Millett 100
    Low Profile rear
    PT145: with HIVIZ
    Front Sight
    Browning
    Hi-Power,
    Green sealed
    Fiber Optic

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thank you for the responses! Pretty much you all said exactly what I had hoped to read. It is good to know that I purchased a 1911 for a very good price and have to do very little to it in order to have a good gun.

I think the Wilson mags will be a good upgrade and I will likely change out the grips. Any of you ever use AlumaGrips before? If so let me know what you think about them. I am going to shoot many a round through this gun with the stock grips, though, before I replace them.

Also, how are the recoil springs? Sounds like nobody has had feed problems with this gun.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    46 times

When I was using my 1911 as my primary carry gun I got a set of thin ,smooth & clear AlumaGrips. The gun shot fine in my hands with that lack of traction but as I look back it wasn't the best choice I could have made. But they were part of my learning process about carrying.

Would I get them again for a 1911? Yes. They might not have the style of a nice hardwood but there's a different type of style when the grips match the look of the stainless steel. And I think you can get all sorts of markings on them.

Steelheart
    USCCA, NRA & GOA member http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I just picked up my PT1911 today. I am happy the paper work went through much faster than it was supposed to!

I haven't shot it yet. I am going to try to get out to the range tomorrow. But I did do a field strip and a thorough cleaning. I can't believe how much gun grease and gunk I cleaned off that thing! I am glad I didn't try to run down to the range and shoot it in the dirty shape it was! (Note: I am a "clean freak" about my guns. I clean them even if they haven't been fired in a short time! :P ). Now that it is lubed and ready to go, it should be a nicer shoot when I do get out to the range.

I have no pictures to post, since it is simply stock for now and I think most of us know what a stock PT1911 looks like.

One negative about the gun, though, is that I just got it today, but the finish looks worn on some spots from the handling of the slide. I certainly will want to have this gun refinished.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I love my PT1911 too. I noticed my barrel bushing was a bit loose compared to a few other PT1911 I sampled at other gun shops. Groups were ok for the first 500 rounds too but I knew it could be better. I ordered an EGW pre-fit angled bushing from Brownells for it and it made a huge difference. Now I have to use the bushing tool provided and the groups really shrank. The gun now shoots better than I can. I would also agree on the finish being the only thing I really want to improve on. I completely disassembled mine and polished all the blued parts with flitz gun polish and I'm happy with the results untill the budget allows for a serious refinish job. The polish worked so well my wife was a bit hot with me because she thought I went out and bought another PT1911 since it cleaned up so well. I was worried she was going to make me show her the bank statements there for alittle while.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

**Update**

I got out to the range today and all things went fairly well, but it was sort of a mixed bag. As a disclaimer I have to say that I was putting American Eagle rounds through the PT1911. I don't know about you guys, but my experience with American Eagle ammo is that it is some of the dirtiest ammo I have ever shot! You can't put a box through it with out looking like some grimey little kid who was just out playing in the dirt... powder, lead, and brass goes everywhere and finger tips turn black! I am not exaggerating too much there! LOL!

So, I put 150 rounds of the dirtiest ammo I could fine through the PT1911 today. The gun failed to lock back on every other empty magazine, which was sort of weird. So the first empty mag it failes to lock back, then the next it worked, etc. etc. Ok, no biggie. When I get my new Wilson mags that might fix that problem.

The ammo fed fine, but I did have a couple spent shells that jammed before they fully ejected. One was the 5th round into the mag and the other the last round. Again, no biggie, it could be that I was a bit aggressive with the gun lube yesterday and took the gun out a bit over oiled causing some unnecessary fouling. I will also see what happens with my new mags. I think all should be good after I put many more rounds through this gun.

To end on a real positive note, this gun puts in really nice tight groups out of the box, as we have all heard, but it is pretty awesome to actually experience it! At 7 yards I could carve out the bulls eye of my target. Each round just wanted to hit the mark! Up until today I have never used straight eight sites, but I got used to them real quick and now I would want them on any new gun I purchase! Target aquisition was quite easy with them. I sent the target out about 15 yards, and the groups were still just as tight for me, but I wasn't able to bulls eye as many rounds due to shooter issues. I guess I need to get my eyes checked. I consistently put the rounds at the ten o'clock just above the bulls eye, and lost a couple rounds outside the rings. Again, that was all the bad shooter and not the gun... I think I shoot like Barney Fife sometimes. :P

Anyway, that is my report. Overall I am pretty happy with the PT1911 and am very happy with my purchase. The guys over at Wades shooting range, where I go to shoot, are pretty enthusiastic about the PT1911, too. So it was nice not to run into any snobs today at the range... an added bonus!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

The only thng I did to my PT1911 was remove the ambi safety and put a set of Pachmayr ALS grips on it as I like the finger grove grips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links