Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Red Dot Sights for PT 1911

Has anyone any experience with mounting a red dot sight on the PT 1911? I'm considering it.

Greg C.

x10
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Red Dot Sights for PT 1911

I have a red dot on my 70 series colt, I went with one that a smith had to drill holes in the dust shield, I first bought a Aimpoint no gunsmithing scope mount, it replaced the left grip and gave me an idea of if I REALLY wanted to mount a scope, after deciding that I did want a scope I sold the grip mount for about what I had in it and bought a Weigand and had a smith drill it, I might suggest that you think hard about a scope because it causes other problems, I had to remove the rear sight and put a Tbar to actuate the slide, you have to tune your extractor so you eject 100% to the side, The gun is also comp'd so you have to what and choose a scope that doesnt go too far forward or you end up pitting your optics up front and they fog up in a match. You definitey have to stop using powder and lubes that generate smoke because during a match on a still day you will be ducking your head around the smoke, Here in indiana at one of the ranges that sits in a valley it gets bad sometime when theres no wind, you find yourself moving all the time to get away from you smoke, Would I go back, NO but I did buy a taurus 1911 and promised myself to not F this one up too much and keep it for what its intended.

If you can try someone else s before you go too far

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Red Dot Sights for PT 1911

Quote Originally Posted by x10
    I have a red dot on my 70 series colt, I went with one that a smith had to drill holes in the dust shield, I first bought a Aimpoint no gunsmithing scope mount, it replaced the left grip and gave me an idea of if I REALLY wanted to mount a scope, after deciding that I did want a scope I sold the grip mount for about what I had in it and bought a Weigand and had a smith drill it, I might suggest that you think hard about a scope because it causes other problems, I had to remove the rear sight and put a Tbar to actuate the slide, you have to tune your extractor so you eject 100% to the side, The gun is also comp'd so you have to what and choose a scope that doesnt go too far forward or you end up pitting your optics up front and they fog up in a match. You definitey have to stop using powder and lubes that generate smoke because during a match on a still day you will be ducking your head around the smoke, Here in indiana at one of the ranges that sits in a valley it gets bad sometime when theres no wind, you find yourself moving all the time to get away from you smoke, Would I go back, NO but I did buy a taurus 1911 and promised myself to not F this one up too much and keep it for what its intended.

If you can try someone else s before you go too far
    Thanks a bunch for the info! Maybe I'll just stick with iron sights. I can see additional hassles when the gun has to be cleaned, as 45's frequently need. I have a red dot on my 22 target pistol, but 22's are much cleaner shooters.

Greg

Links