Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Threaded Barrel for PT92 9mm

Member #
    Liked
    427 times
    As far as I know, the barrels should be "interchangeable" with Berettas. The EFK website also seems to confirm this notion. (Note that it says their barrels fit both Taurus and Beretta pistols.) You can always call and ask somewhere like Gemtech (that makes threaded 92 barrels) if theirs will work, or make sure you can return the part if it doesn't fit, then just order one and see. This Beretta (and, so Taurus, in theory) design actually lends itself pretty well to true drop-in barrels, so if it fits when it comes in, you're probably good to go.

But, keep in mind that the terms "drop-in" and "interchangeable" can be relative where gun parts are concerned. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it came very close, but still required a little finish fitting to ensure proper function and lock-up, particularly since specific tolerances between the two manufacturers are likely to vary a little.

As for the price, I can understand what you're saying relative to the price of the whole gun. But, like it or not, that's probably not all that bad for a good, stainless, aftermarket barrel (particularly since it's threaded and appears to include a thread protector). Really, it's not that hard to spend as much or more on a new, quality barrel for many guns. (Go price a high-end 10/22 barrel sometime.... ) For comparison, a blued (i.e. not stainless) Gemtech barrel (that would probably also work for you) will set you back about $195.

But, as someone else suggested, there are shops on the web that will thread the stock barrel for you. (One I spotted charged $100 for the service.) And, really, any local gunsmith should be able to do it for you if that's how you want to go.
    The Second Amendment: Protecting the Constitution and Freedom since 1791.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by parad0x177 View Post
    As far as I know, the barrels should be "interchangeable" with Berettas. The EFK website also seems to confirm this notion. (Note that it says their barrels fit both Taurus and Beretta pistols.) You can always call and ask somewhere like Gemtech (that makes threaded 92 barrels) if theirs will work, or make sure you can return the part if it doesn't fit, then just order one and see. This Beretta (and, so Taurus, in theory) design actually lends itself pretty well to true drop-in barrels, so if it fits when it comes in, you're probably good to go.

But, keep in mind that the terms "drop-in" and "interchangeable" can be relative where gun parts are concerned. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it came very close, but still required a little finish fitting to ensure proper function and lock-up, particularly since specific tolerances between the two manufacturers are likely to vary a little.

As for the price, I can understand what you're saying relative to the price of the whole gun. But, like it or not, that's probably not all that bad for a good, stainless, aftermarket barrel (particularly since it's threaded and appears to include a thread protector). Really, it's not that hard to spend as much or more on a new, quality barrel for many guns. (Go price a high-end 10/22 barrel sometime.... ) For comparison, a blued (i.e. not stainless) Gemtech barrel (that would probably also work for you) will set you back about $195.

But, as someone else suggested, there are shops on the web that will thread the stock barrel for you. (One I spotted charged $100 for the service.) And, really, any local gunsmith should be able to do it for you if that's how you want to go.
    thats some good advice to consider. i would like the black oxide finish to match the rest of my gun and they want an extra $50 for that which brought the total to $285 which to me is a little high. but i could see spending $170-$200 easily. i may get some quote from a few local gun smiths. thanks for your replies everyone.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10796 times
    I have a threaded EFK barrel with the thread protector for my Glock. I purchased to so I could fire .40 caliber through my .357sig. It has functioned flawlessly with every pull of the trigger. It is also a very good quality barrel. I did save some money on mine as I was able to pick up a NIB unit off of Ebay.
    Boogers are a lot like Birthdays. The more you have the harder it is to breathe.

Member #
    Liked
    3182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TColorado View Post
    thats some good advice to consider. i would like the black oxide finish to match the rest of my gun and they want an extra $50 for that which brought the total to $285 which to me is a little high. but i could see spending $170-$200 easily. i may get some quote from a few local gun smiths. thanks for your replies everyone.
    wait til you start pricing suppressors and all the stuff to do to get one

jhp

it is ALWAYS better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.
    Get a gun and GET TRAINING. Training is the key to making proper and responsible decisions in the use of deadly force and training is the key to expertly defending yourself in an unavoidable lethal encounter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links