Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: M605 Forcing Cone Face Not Square

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    The last repair left the trigger with major grinds on top so there's hardly any metal left between the pin and top of trigger. There is also a small piece of the trigger sear missing. Maybe the frame is defective with not enough space between the pin and the underside of the frame opening necessitating the grinding? I don't know. Combine that with the b/c spacing gap issue, and its going back. Hopefully they will trash it and give me a new one.
    How prone all human institutions have been to decay; how subject the best-formed and most wisely organized governments have been to lose their check and totally dissolve; how difficult it has been for mankind, in all ages and countries, to preserve their dearest rights and best privileges, impelled as it were by an irresistible fate of despotism.
    James Monroe
    1788 speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention

A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves...

Member #
    Liked
    318 times
    I had an M85 and a M327 with frame tolerance issues that required extreme gun smithing and custom fitting of stock parts just to get the firearms to cycle. It seems lately the most prominent of these tolerance issues seem to be the size of the hand and cylinder stop slots cut into the frame which allow the cylinder stop to access the cylinder and the hand to access the rivets on the star Assembly, (the recoil shield finishing also leaves allot to be desired but we won't go there now). If these are cut too wide they will cause timing issues due to the play of the loose moving parts. For example the cylinder stop slot in the frame of the M85 was machined too wide causing excessive side play in the cylinder stop, irrelevant of how many stock cylinder stops you installed since the cylinder stops are machined to a certain tolerance or width. The excessive side play in the cylinder stop caused play in the cylinder and the cylinder bores to overlap with the barrel which caused leading and accuracy problems. Instead of trashing the revolver taurus will stretch the forcing cone(adjust it) so that it is so wide it will accommodate any overlap. This will continue to cause accuracy problems, blow back and weaken the forcing cone substantially which may lead to tearing of the forcing cone since it is under extreme pressure. With a stretched forcing cone being wider than the cylinder bore and bullet and then tapering back down at the rifling will cause hot gases to build up in the pocket of the forcing cone.

With a forcing cone that is cut at an extreme angle like yours they will probably try to cut it more lessening the angle and leaving you with a monster B/C gap.

Unfortunately when manufacturing revolvers using what I am guessing 100% MIM with no hand finishing you are rolling the dice whether you get a run with correct specs or not. One tiny glitch in the molding or computer finishing and you end up with a paper weight. The only re-course is to rely 100% on the warranty process. Keep sending them back until they get it right or send you a good one. It's to bad really becuase the design and engineering of the revolvers are very sound however the manufacturing can be very hot or cold and does not seem like there is much QC going on in Brazil. This is just guess work on my part but I don't think many folks even Taurus Miami exec's really know what's goes on at Forjas Taurus other than what they are supposed to know. Bottom line we choose to purchase these revolvers so we must lie in the bed we made and do the best with what we got. You keep buying them like me you will get to know your FedEx reps well LOL.
    "Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun.
    Sammy "the Bull" Gravano

Freedom doesn't mean an absence of all restrictions. It means possessing unshakable conviction in the face of any obstacle.
    --- Daisaku Ikeda

"Gun control is for people who want to be controlled"
    ---AdesteAnimo

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    I agree with you on these things. It's luck of the draw sometimes. Many do not have these issues. But as a company Taurus knows and it must be their policy that to hit these price points, they cannot QA every gun off the assembly line. It is probably cheaper for them to repair/replace a certain percentage that to institute extreme QA. This is unfortunate for those of us who have to deal with it, but this seems like the way they want to operate right now. Hopefully that will change but must happen at the top of the organization. You also hear similar issues with S&W and Ruger but maybe to a lesser extent. I like the design of the Taurus revolvers and the price, so I guess will just deal. Eventually I'm sure they will satisfy me, but I am patient. They should really have a final inspection process on repaired guns; it would pay for itself in a short time period.
    AdesteAnimo likes this.
    How prone all human institutions have been to decay; how subject the best-formed and most wisely organized governments have been to lose their check and totally dissolve; how difficult it has been for mankind, in all ages and countries, to preserve their dearest rights and best privileges, impelled as it were by an irresistible fate of despotism.
    James Monroe

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Well, I got the 605 back today. They replaced the barrel (shocked!) and the b/c gap is now in spec. So I'm happy about that. They also replaced the hand, I'm not sure why. However, they did not address the trigger issue which is the main reason I sent it back...
    I'll take it apart over the weekend and see what they've done inside. More to come.
    James Monroe

Member #
    Liked
    318 times
    Is the trigger still grinding, if so call CS tell them to get the shipping label ready.
    Last edited by AdesteAnimo; 04-06-2012 at 11:57 AM.
    "Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun.
    Sammy "the Bull" Gravano

Freedom doesn't mean an absence of all restrictions. It means possessing unshakable conviction in the face of any obstacle.
    --- Daisaku Ikeda

"Gun control is for people who want to be controlled"
    ---AdesteAnimo

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Unfortunately they were closed for holiday. Monday...
    James Monroe

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AdesteAnimo View Post
    Is the trigger still grinding, if so call CS tell them to get the shipping label ready.
    Adeste - the trigger is not grinding on the frame, the technician grinded the top of the trigger above the pivot pin and there is hardly any metal above the trigger pin hole. See the picture below:

Name:  IMAG0101.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  1.17 MB

Maybe it was rubbing the frame and they grinded (butchered) it to clear. If you open and zoom the picture you'll see how bad it is.
    Last edited by righty; 04-06-2012 at 06:51 PM.
    James Monroe

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3955 times
    Here's a pic of my 85's trigger from when I did the disassembly thread. It is as you see it straight from Taurus. It never has been back to Taurus for their warranty work, so far. It doesn't have a lot of metal on top either, but it has functioned fine for hundreds of rounds. I don't think I have over 1000 rounds in my 85UL. I really don't shoot it for more than a box of ammo when I do shoot it.

Anyway, my trigger might be a tiny bit thicker in that upper pivot point. Not by much, though. Regarding your trigger's sear, is that a chip I see? How far across does that chip go?

Last edited by chicharrones; 04-06-2012 at 08:50 PM.

NRA Life Member - TSRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chicharrones View Post
    Here's a pic of my 85's trigger from when I did the disassembly thread. It is as you see it straight from Taurus. It never has been back to Taurus for their warranty work, so far. It doesn't have a lot of metal on top either, but it has functioned fine for hundreds of rounds. I don't think I have over 1000 rounds in my 85UL. I really don't shoot it for more than a box of ammo when I do shoot it.

Anyway, my trigger might be a tiny bit thicker in that upper pivot point. Not by much, though. Regarding your trigger's sear, is that a chip I see? How far across does that chip go?

If you zoom in very close on my previous picture, you will see there is a minor chip on the edge. Not sure if it was from MIM or work done on it. Do you know if the trigger is a restricted part?
    James Monroe

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3955 times
    I did see the chip. How far across the sear face does it go?

I haven't asked Taurus directly, but I have heard from others that Taurus does require the trigger to be "fitted" to the hammer. Meaning sear contact check and adjustment (filing). So Taurus does not just sell triggers, to the best of my knowledge.
    Last edited by chicharrones; 04-06-2012 at 09:12 PM.

NRA Life Member - TSRA Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links