Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Fixed 738 first round feed problem

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Fixed 738 first round feed problem

Before I took my 738 to the range, I polished the feed ramp, hammer cocking ramp, and barrel. I did notice that it fed better but still would not load the first round unless I was very aggressive in racking the slide. When I went to the range, I had three FTFs in 50 rounds.

Today I went to the range and had 4 FTFs in 30 rounds. I was shooting Remington 95 gr. FMJs. I never had two mags in a row without a FTF. I then shot two mags of Hornady Critical Defense and had no FTFs.

After I cleaned the gun, with the slide still off the gun and the barrel out of the slide, I pushed a round up from the bottom of the slide under the extractor and noticed the effort required to push it up and the roughness doing it. I then took a small thin file and wrapped it with 1000 grit sandpaper and polished the outside and bottom edges of the extractor that face the breech face as well as the corner where those two surfaces meet. After that I pushed a round up under the extractor and the effort was much reduced and the roughness was gone. After I re-assembled the gun, I put a round in the mag and racked the slide in what I would consider a normal fashion for racking a slide and the round chambered. I then loaded the mag with 5 rounds and racked each round through with a gentle racking and each round chambered. I showed it to my son and he locked the slide open, inserted the mag, and pushed the slide release and the round chambered. Given that I no longer have a first round FTF, I suspect that my firing FTFs will be a thing of the past.

While polishing the extractor has been discussed previously, it was in the context of general polishing of the gun. My experience shows that it had a greater effect on the functioning of my gun that all the other polishing I had previously done.

Every gun is different and while what worked to fix my gun may not solve another guns first round FTF problem, my experience would indicate that the extractor should be checked as a potential contributor to the problem.

e. J.
    Last edited by ejc; 02-16-2012 at 05:39 AM.
    bre346 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    Nice post my 738 had the same problem too so i will look at it and try this it sounds like the same issue so i will check on it my ftf were huge with it being brand new just out of the box I can feel the rail rubbing so ill give it a througo once over and hopefully i can fix it if not it will be going to the factory for warranty
    guns dont kill people. people kill people. so stop blaiming the guns.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I was curious why I had no FTFs with the Hornady ammo for the two mags I fired. I decided to check the rounds and the rim on the Hornady ammo is .003-.004 inch smaller in thickness than the rim on the Remington ammo. That makes perfect sense since a thinner rim would have less trouble sliding under the extractor.

E. J.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Gonna try this in a few hours. Girlfriends 738 almost always has problem feeding first round out of the clip. Thanks for the info!!!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I hope it works for you. Finding that the rim thicknesses are different between the Remington and Hornady ammo makes me wonder if that isn't the reason people are finding that their gun has a preference for one brand over another in proper feeding. The Remington rim is .042 inch and the Hornady rim is .038 inch. Maybe people that have other brands on hand can post the rim thickness of their ammo. That way, maybe we can get confirmation that the brands that are a problem in their gun also have thicker rims than a brand that works better in their gun.

E. J.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Any chance you could post pics of exactly where you filed? I would really appreciate it.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored1 View Post
    Gonna try this in a few hours. Girlfriends 738 almost always has problem feeding first round out of the clip. Thanks for the info!!!
    Are you trying to slingshot the first round or use the slide release? Some pistols are sensitive to slingshot. My Kahr's manual specifically says that it is recommended to always use the slide release for the first round. When I started playing with the 738 last night, I couldn't get it to feed a single time by slingshot (probably 10 tries), but had perfect feeding if I let the spring do the work.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    We press on the release and pull the slide back a hair and let it slide forward since the release is just a beast to get to work. She has 150 rounds through it so far and it is getting better. Hope it gets easier still tho.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored1 View Post
    Any chance you could post pics of exactly where you filed? I would really appreciate it.
    I'm not skilled enough to put arrows on a picture so me posting a picture wouldn't be helpful. I'll try to explain it. The round comes up from under the extractor and at an angle initially so it is important that the bottom rear edge of the extractor be smooth and not a sharp corner. I polished the bottom back edge using 1000 grit sandpaper wrapped around a thin file. You don't want to file the extractor because it will remove too much metal. You only want to polish the edge. It requires wrapping the sandpaper around something very thin because there isn't much room to get between the extractor and breech face. I also polished the vertical back edge of the extractor as well as the 90 degree corner where the bottom and vertical edges meet. Just think about where the round contacts the extractor during the loading process and you will know where to polish.

You had mentioned that you could feel some roughness in working the slide. While you have the slide off, inspect the slide rails to see if you can see any burrs that could be causing the roughness. One other thing I do is grease the springs. When you have two springs nested together they will rub on each other as they are compressed. I don't know that it helps functioning any, but did change the way the gun sounds when I rack the slide. If the coils don't move smoothly against each other, the jerkiness of the coils moving over each other could give the impression of roughness in slide movement.

E. J.

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Federal 95 gr. fmj rim thickness is .395 to .040. Blazer 95 gr.fmj is running .042. Federal functions well in my gun. Blazer not so much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links