• 1 Post By btleslie
  • 1 Post By Czechbikr

Thread: I Believe That I May Have The "Marlin Jam"

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    11889 times

I Believe That I May Have The "Marlin Jam"

I probably am fudging the thread by posting about "other than Taurus" repair needs, but I experienced a double feed while firing my Model 1894 lever action .44 Magnum. I have about 120 factory rounds through with just some rough feeding that I attributed to my pussy footing around with the lever and not cocking it in an authoritative manner.

I was shooting my newly reloaded rounds which I set an OAL according to the manual and also matching the factory ammo. I only loaded about one hundred because I was concerned about the crimp. I am loading plated 240 grain flat nose projectiles and don't want to overcrimp for that reason and also because it will shorten the brass life. My first concern beside accuracy was that the bullets didn't set back from being loaded nose to base. I cycled seven rounds through without firing and they seemed to hold their length (except for one which I thought was maybe set too deep off the bench.

I began shooting and got maybe 16 rounds through and then it jammed up with the lever open. I didn't have any tools with me (I'll remedy that in the future) so I had to pack it in and work on it at home. All it took was to push the jammed round back into the magazine and then the rest cycled on through.

I've poked around on the web and found this page talking about a fix but wanted to see if anyone here has had the problem and what they did to fix it.

Thanks in advance,

TUNING MARLIN LEVER ACTIONS
    "The office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron." HL Mencken

Member #
    Liked
    15090 times
    I thought this was a food post and was going to offer you some Mossberg Marmalade.

I know I need to try harder sometimes to resist.
    Wolf1477 likes this.
    Always remember to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle your targets
    Reduce them to shreds
    Reuse shoot them more than once
    Recycle whatever is left over

24/7 Pro C 40 S&W PT1911 45 ACP 738 TCP 380 ACP PT111 SS Model 66 .357
    About me - I take very little seriously especially myself.

Ignorance is the lack of knowledge. Stupid is the refusal to do anything about it.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    11889 times
    We'll send this on to Rodfair for Marlin Jam to be included in the cookbook!
    btleslie likes this.
    "The office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron." HL Mencken

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3965 times
    I wish I had an 1894 to know what your experiencing. I've always wanted one of those carbines.

I guess the Marlin owners forum would be a good place to check. I'm sure you've already looked over there, though.

NRA Life Member - TSRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    3115 times
    I've got a Marlin 336 .30-30 and I've never had any problems with it but I know what
    Czechbikr is talking about because my best hunting buddy has a 336 .35 Rem and his
    will do the double feed on occassion. Last Saturday he had it happen and after trying
    to back the stuck round out of the chamber, he ended up taking the spring out of the
    magazine to release pressure on the second round that was trying to feed into the
    chamber. Then he got the first round out and he was able to shut the lever and the
    gun fed fine after that. I asked him how often this happened to him because I'd seen
    it before and he said about every one hundred rounds or so. He still loves his Marlin
    though and he plans on keeping it. I like my Marlin a lot too, me and my brother often
    get into debates about which is the better gun, my Marlin 336 or his Winchester 94.
    Taurus: Model 66 4" .357 Magnum
    Judge 6.5" 3" Cylinder .45LC/.410
    Model 617 2" .357 Magnum
    Raging Bull .44 Magnum 6.5"
    Model 851 2" .38 Special
    M327 2" .327 Magnum
    PT-92 AF - 9mm

Member #
    Liked
    1461 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    I probably am fudging the thread by posting about "other than Taurus" repair needs, but I experienced a double feed while firing my Model 1894 lever action .44 Magnum. I have about 120 factory rounds through with just some rough feeding that I attributed to my pussy footing around with the lever and not cocking it in an authoritative manner.

I was shooting my newly reloaded rounds which I set an OAL according to the manual and also matching the factory ammo. I only loaded about one hundred because I was concerned about the crimp. I am loading plated 240 grain flat nose projectiles and don't want to overcrimp for that reason and also because it will shorten the brass life. My first concern beside accuracy was that the bullets didn't set back from being loaded nose to base. I cycled seven rounds through without firing and they seemed to hold their length (except for one which I thought was maybe set too deep off the bench.

I began shooting and got maybe 16 rounds through and then it jammed up with the lever open. I didn't have any tools with me (I'll remedy that in the future) so I had to pack it in and work on it at home. All it took was to push the jammed round back into the magazine and then the rest cycled on through.

I've poked around on the web and found this page talking about a fix but wanted to see if anyone here has had the problem and what they did to fix it.

Thanks in advance,

TUNING MARLIN LEVER ACTIONS
    Get with some CAS shooters. It happens occasionally and you're right, you need tools to clear it. That's one reason I went with the Uberti toggle link replicas as my match rifles.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/

or

The Open Range - Howdy!

or

SASS Wire - SASS Wire Forum

would be good places to start.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links