Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Fiber optic for Raging Bull?

Does anyone know if there is a fiber optic front sight blade that will fit a Raging Bull? Peferably something "drop-in" or only minor fitting.

Member #
    Liked
    3042 times

Re: Fiber optic for Raging Bull?

I've looked around, but I've had no luck finding anything yet. I used the poor man's
    solution to the visibility problem. I put some red auto touch up paint on my front
    sight. It works for now untill something better comes along. Welcome to TaurusArmed.
    net, you are going to find some friendly and knowledgeable people here.
    Taurus: Model 66 4" .357 Magnum
    Judge 6.5" 3" Cylinder .45LC/.410
    Model 617 2" .357 Magnum
    Raging Bull .44 Magnum 6.5"
    Model 851 2" .38 Special
    M327 2" .327 Magnum
    PT-92 AF - 9mm

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I am wondering if a Hi Viz SW1002G might fit. It is made for the large framed Smith & Wessons like the 629 which have a similar looking front sight base with the front blade pinned in a groove. Unfortunately, I don't have a Smith to measure. Worth spending the $40 on the Hi Viz to find out?

Member #
    Liked
    83 times

Logan, follow this link to some links that may answer your question...

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...2311#msg422311

Coop
    Freedom is not free

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Hi Viz customer service advised me the closest size was the SW617 which is a bit lower than the SW1002. I went ahead an bought one. I found the Hi Viz was a little too wide to fit the slot in the sight base so I had to file the sides of the sight by about .002. The fit was snug to where I could push it in with finger pressure as I did not want to risk tapping the Hi Viz with a mallet to get it seated. I drilled a good centered 1/16 hole and re-inserted the pin. But, I found the sight had some looseness; it could rock up and down around the axis of the pin by about .01. Also, the pin was loose enough so you could move it by pressing it with your finger. I had to resort to putting a drop of super glue on the underside of the sight were it meets the top of the sight base, (not the part that extends down into the slot in the sight base.) Now it is good and tight but I still worry the pin could work its way out due to recoil. Not sure why I had the fitting problems, could be some mistake I made. The factory sight was steel vs. the Hi Viz aluminum. Hi Viz had less surface area that extends into the slot. Maybe this makes it harder to get a tight fit. For now, it looks OK, though I will have to see if it holds tight after extended firing. My gunsmithing skills are practically non-existant, so maybe someone more experienced would do better at it.

Links