Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Need help with Beretta Neos trigger job.

16K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Joystick 
#1 ·
I am trying to replace the sear spring on my U22 Neos to lighten the trigger pull a little as described in the hexidismal trigger job. For the life of me I cannot get the sear housing screw out of the sear housing. I know the screw is secured with Red Loctite and I have tried heating with a hair dryer to no avail. The screw head itself is not standard and others have recommended using a "modified" scredriver which I have not tried yet. If anyone has succeeded in doing the trigger job on their Neos I would appreciate any guidance.
Thanks.

#2 ·
I've done that trigger job on my Neos. You absolutely need a screwdriver bit to fit that screw. It is a gunsmith cut flat bladed screwdriver.

I have a cheap-o multi-tip gunsmith screwdriver set but the bit I needed to fit the screw head wouldn't fit into the opening on the sear housing. I had to file the body of that bit to clear it.

You need a near perfect fit of screw driver to screw in this situation to transfer all the torque properly. When you put that screw back in, just use blue Loctite after you're satisfied with the sear spring you install.

One important thing about that hexidismal trigger job. I found that you don't need to polish every little surface to get improvement. The one thing you absolutely must "polish" is the inside of the sear plunger as well as the outside of the sear plunger. The inside is cut really rough and contributes to most of the gritty trigger. I had to use a tiny bit of rolled up emery cloth and spin it in the bore of the sear spring plunger.

Good luck! 8)

#10 ·
Although I am a fan of the saying "A poor workman blames his tools" this is one case where the right tools made it ridiculously easy. I bought a $5.58 Gunsmith screwdriver set yesterday at Academy, filed the corners off the hex bit that had the closest fit, gave the screw one hard turn and it unscrewed easily.
Yes I am aware of the recall on these pistols. I honestly haven't gotten around to sending it in yet.

#11 ·
A word of warning about the recall. Your nice Hexidismal trigger job will go backwards a step if you get the new striker installed by Beretta.

I sent mine in after being completely happy with the Hexidismal trigger job on my Neos. It came back with so much more creep in the trigger, I am a bit disappointed. the extra creep is because Beretta's new striker has a deeper cut for the sear to fit into. That makes the Beretta lawyers happy, but you have to pull the trigger further than before to make the sear release.

The difference is probably three times as far than before. This is only a few millimeters measured at the trigger, but that is a far distance for a single action trigger. Now my Neos has a light trigger, with little grittiness, but more creep than before.

If you need the factory prescribed "peace of mind" by having the recall service done, by all means do it. Just practice the usual firearm safety rules whichever way you decide to go.

#12 ·
and as a side note to this, go to the Beretta web site and there is an area where you can put in the serial number of the weapon and it will tell you if it needs to be returned for service or not!
Mine was already repaired(or upgraded prior to shipping for sale) even though i had to send it in for other operational problems.
I included in my note to the gunsmith about the really sub-standard trigger as compared to the Ruger and Browning that i had.
they did an outstanding trigger job on it while at the repair station and it was a beautiful thing to shoot!
Unfortunately I had to about 3 weeks later return it again for the same operational problem and they swapped it out with a new Neos that has a fairly nice trigger but the same creepy trigger that Chich speaks of.
its still a good shooter though.

#13 ·
chicharrones™ said:
A word of warning about the recall. Your nice Hexidismal trigger job will go backwards a step if you get the new striker installed by Beretta.
Chicharrones, I had already pretty much decided to "pass" on the safety upgrade after reading your post in another forum. I practice safe firearm handling ALWAYS. I finished the trigger job, installed the new spring (which I did not cut) screwed the sear screw back into place without Loctite to test it out and now I can't get the srew out again-if it wasn't stripped before it is now. Oh well-still made a great difference in the weight of the trigger pull, which is what I was after anyway.

#14 ·
I wanted to give you guys some follow-up. I got my Neos out to the range yesterday to try out the new trigger. All I can say is SWEET! The gun was already a good shooter and now it is a great shooter. Everyone with a Neos should try this trigger job out. The only major change I did was replacing the sear spring and some light hand polishing of the engagement surfaces. I now have a light (3-4 lbs. I would guess-I don't own a trigger pull gauge) crisp trigger and all it cost me was a $5.58 Gunsmith screwdriver set from Academy and a little bit of time.

#16 ·
My trigger mod.

Here is a description of the mod I did to the firing pin on my Neos.

It reduced the creep to almost zero and reduced the trigger pull.

This will disable the safety, so make sure you are okay with that.

I used 0.030" shim stock about 1/4" wide and long enough to fill in the notch in the firing pin. It is attached to the firing pin with CA glue. Make sure there is plenty of room left for the sear to engage the firing pin to prevent accidental firing of the gun. You may need a thinner material for your gun. If you have already modified the sear, this will not work.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.